1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Getting my feet wet Pinecaster

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by KS6V, Oct 22, 2020.

1. KS6V

KS6V TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Well, I keep hearing about success on folks partscaster builds. Been wanting to try one for some time. I'm definitely a newb. Looking to try something hopefully easy. I have a few parts in my bin, vintage style bridge and some Cavalier Nashville p/u's. So don't need too much.

Bought a knotty pine body from nomoonlaser on ebay. He seems to get reviews and the pics look very nice. Some guy on ebay that looks like he mostly sells bicycle parts has a bunch of loaded Squier Tele necks. From the research I've done the the neck hopefully will fit. So far for both have $130 into the project. Money is a bit tight at present and don't want to spend too much to find out if my skills are up to the task.

Any prayers would be appreciated :)

simoncroft and preactor like this.
  2. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Not against prayers, but you probably won't need any. Just remember to practice your skills on scrap (like your finish plans on scrap wood) and practice up on soldering and you're good to go. Best of luck and make sure to post pictures here with the results.

simoncroft likes this.
  3. KS6V

Thanks, I'm decent at soldering as long as surface mount stuff isn't involved. Body already has a nitro finish. Not sure what I'll do with the neck until I get to see/feel it.

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Welcome brother. Nothing like building your own. Be sure and post a build thread so we can follow your progress, encourage you and offer advice/help as needed (and probably even when not needed :rolleyes:).

KS6V likes this.
  5. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

Those loaded Squier necks are a good place to start in my book. I think the tuners are usually pretty stable. If you don't like them, go with Wilkinson EZ Loks (not locking, just have 2 holes in the posts for some reverse winding). $25. I have three sets not (mini button version on my last one) and they are every bit as good as Grovers.

KS6V likes this.
  6. KS6V

Well got the body today. Wow, it is light. Router work looks very good. Sorry for the poor phone pics and grubby chair. The nitro finish is really thin. Won't take much effort to relic this one. Never had a nitro finish before, do they darken a bit with age? Waiting on parts. Going with a black guard and Electrosocket output, Fender ashtray bridge, Wilkinson compensated saddles.

IMG_20201024_134914365.jpg IMG_20201024_134924507.jpg IMG_20201024_134937029.jpg IMG_20201024_134948331.jpg IMG_20201024_135028360.jpg

simoncroft, preactor, SbS and 5 others like this.
  7. RichCuellarPDX

RichCuellarPDX Tele-Meister

I dig it...

8. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

I like it! Those knots are awesome.

9. KS6V

Neck came today. It was a take-off so already drilled. Went ahead and attached to body. Waiting on saddles, screws, especially for the bridge. Then I'll find out if I need to fill and drill on the neck. I was surprised the neck is a one piece. Not sure if that is good, bad or no difference. I like it though. I knew from the ad it had a skunk stripe, but I've seen those added gratuitously before.

IMG_20201026_111718832.jpg

simoncroft likes this.
  10. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

You are off to a great start!

11. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Looking Good! Nothing like that knotty pine.

12. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

I have a body from NoMoonLaser as well. I won the auction for $30 bucks, and it seems to be a well cut body. Mine is from multiple pieces of old pine flooring that he glued together and routed. I just haven't gotten around to putting it together yet... lol. Maybe this will motivate me.

I'll reach out to Rob for some Cavalier pickups, and probably have him assemble/set it up.

simoncroft and KS6V like this.
  13. Souza87

Souza87 NEW MEMBER!

This is a Nomoonlaser I completed a few weeks ago, neck was a one off I found from some dude in Texas, roasted and relic'd. Assorted aged nickel goodies and a Cavalier Hugh Lion. Sounds like an LP junior when cranked.. back off the volume and you get a bit of that twang ole man. My first one and boy did I screw up, when drilling the pilots for the tuners I split the headstock. Local luthier bailed me out. I will say that six sadle bridge is a real weak spot and I also have a compensated saddle set up in route. Ive never owned a more resonant electric. Good luck!

thumbnail_image0.png thumbnail_image1.jpg thumbnail_image2.jpg

John E, simoncroft and KS6V like this.
  14. KS6V

Well it is done except for strap buttons. Took a little time figuring out the intonation, but it worked really well. I tried to add an "upgrade" button to replace the string tree. Not sure if it was defective or it was just not knowing what I was doing. Ended up going back to stock tree. IMG_20201030_122057098.jpg

RiversQC and simoncroft like this.
  15. KS6V

Sweet looking Esquire! I hit the easy button with the loaded Squier neck. Just needed a little bit of fret dressing and polishing.

16. Hounded Dog

Hounded Dog TDPRI Member

A beauty!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.