Getting just a liiitle more from a 5w

Chart72

TDPRI Member
How do you do it?

I play a 5w with a band (drums, bass, amped acoustic, vox, and my electric) Winfield typhoon w Ragin Cajun 10” and it keeps up great.

Only difficulty is sometimes I’m playing juicy power tube distortion chords and then need to pivot quickly to a high lead line. Not really anywhere to go volume-wise, and a boost will only add gain at this point.

Just tried using an EQ pedal to cut bass and boost upper mids, and yup it gets me more of that nice top end volume.

I know j mascis uses pedals to reverse gain stage, with the loudest setting being all pedals off.

Any other strategies for good dynamics when you’re working right up against that sweet sweet volume ceiling of your amp?

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
In my experience, this is the nature of gigging a 5w amp. With an efficient speaker, yes, it can be loud enough but if you've got the amp cranked already, you're basically working with one dynamic level. Unless you can bring the rest of the band down, allowing you to play quieter when you aren't soloing, there isn't really anything you can do pedal-wise to change that.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Aside from adding another speaker, which if it's an identical one will give an extra 3dB-ish overall, use an EQ pedal for the solo to kill the real low end, cut lower mids a little. Keep the middle sliders on 0dB, +3dB for upper mids and boost the treble to taste. Solo over?, switch the EQ pedal back off.
Bass notes suck power, so losing them will give some room for gains at the upper end.
You may want to try an EQ pedal anyway to cut/lower any frequencies the bass is taking care of.
Get the amp on a stand! if it isn't waist height already, give that a try. At least an angleback stand so the sound isn't being consumed by the floor.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Spark boost has a couple settings you can flip on and off and center. Think one is fat, one neutral and one voxy.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
I think you squeezed as much out of 5W as you can, other than adding another Ragin Cajun. Even then you may want more headroom.

Chart72

TDPRI Member
Aside from adding another speaker, which if it's an identical one will give an extra 3dB-ish overall, use an EQ pedal for the solo to kill the real low end, cut lower mids a little. Keep the middle sliders on 0dB, +3dB for upper mids and boost the treble to taste. Solo over?, switch the EQ pedal back off.
Bass notes suck power, so losing them will give some room for gains at the upper end.
You may want to try an EQ pedal anyway to cut/lower any frequencies the bass is taking care of.
Get the amp on a stand! if it isn't waist height already, give that a try. At least an angleback stand so the sound isn't being consumed by the floor.
Yes this EQ is the idea I was trying. I don’t need any more overall volume- if anything the amp is a touch too loud @ it’s max (a very fun too loud :cool:), and the general dynamics with guitar volume, etc. are wonderful. It’s that I sometimes need to quickly shift from one kind of loud (heavy low chords) to another kind of loud (high lead lines) and that seems to require just a little help. I could even stand to use an overdrive that cuts volume a bit on the chords and turn it off for the leads — but I love “playing the amp” and that amp distortion! I just tried the EQ out on my own and it seems to give the needed boost-will give it a go w the band this weekend.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
BIGGER speaker! BIGGER cabinet!

My 5 watt Swart STR Tremolo has a 12" Celestion Blue and is amazing at all volume levels!

Not sure how it would hold up with a full band but it KILLS my Fender Tweed Champ RI with a puny 8" Weber.

A treble boost helps too!

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
How do you do it?

I play a 5w with a band (drums, bass, amped acoustic, vox, and my electric) Winfield typhoon w Ragin Cajun 10” and it keeps up great.

Only difficulty is sometimes I’m playing juicy power tube distortion chords and then need to pivot quickly to a high lead line. Not really anywhere to go volume-wise, and a boost will only add gain at this point.

Just tried using an EQ pedal to cut bass and boost upper mids, and yup it gets me more of that nice top end volume.

I know j mascis uses pedals to reverse gain stage, with the loudest setting being all pedals off.

Any other strategies for good dynamics when you’re working right up against that sweet sweet volume ceiling of your amp?

Arranging the band is my best trick.

Chart72

TDPRI Member
BIGGER speaker! BIGGER cabinet!

My 5 watt Swart STR Tremolo has a 12" Celestion Blue and is amazing at all volume levels!

Not sure how it would hold up with a full band but it KILLS my Fender Tweed Champ RI with a puny 8" Weber.

A treble boost helps too!
Ok I get the bigger speaker thing (and I’ve been wanting to build a cab for a while now) but how is a bigger cab louder? I like the sound of that.

Arranging the band is my best trick.
I think this is the real answer! Maybe the other guitarist is playing up high on some of these parts where I feel like I get a little lost. Now that I think about it - it’s not really a volume question, but an EQ question and an arrangement question.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Unless you can bring the rest of the band down, allowing you to play quieter when you aren't soloing, there isn't really anything you can do pedal-wise to change that.
^This^ Have the band suddenly drop volume so your lead can shine.

trandy9850

Tele-Meister
Ad Free Member
This is my 5 watt amp….Victoria Royal…and I do use a Boss GE-7 EQ with it….really helps the cleans.

So far so good.

ZkuLGad.jpg

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Ok I get the bigger speaker thing (and I’ve been wanting to build a cab for a while now) but how is a bigger cab louder? I like the sound of that.
Well....

For one thing if you go with say Celestion Blue it will require a bigger and deeper cab to fit it.