Getting Julian Lage's honky tele tone

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by OwenHu99, Jan 18, 2018.

1. danpan

danpan Tele-Meister

Looks as though he is on the fingerboard pup. That, plus possibly rolled off tone control and fingerstyle, plus owning his hands should do it!! :)

2. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

You are hearing an amp set to its “sweet spot”. Playing softly produces a clean sound with excellent string separation while playing more aggressively creates some interesting distortion that enhances the sound. The identical performance through a silver face Twin Reverb at the same VOLUME (as opposed to gain) would sound quite different.

3. guspin

guspin TDPRI Member

Now Julian is using a Nachocaster! with a Ron Ellis pickups

rjtwangs likes this.
  4. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Julian's Tele in detail....

http://imageevent.com/fiestafinishes/1954telecaster20xx;jsessionid=4k3rxdxrk1.eagle_s

Plenty of info here from the man himself.....

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/features/telecaster-talk-julian-lage/

Saw the man in action the other week here in the UK, he had the Nachocaster with the Ron Ellis pickups, its his main touring guitar these days.

sntsvt likes this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

For a jazz guy? What would that be? :lol:

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

You don't need the big bucks to get into that tone. Any decent tele into a tweed-style amp with a 6V6 will get close. It's mostly that he is in TOTAL CONTROL of his attack.

7. Sea Level

Sea Level Tele-Meister

It’s the mids. Great player with a pure tone getting that tube driven overdrive when he wants it. A little reverb added. Looks like he’s using the neck pickup. My guess is fair amount of treble on the guitar as his nice and bright on the higher register parts that he showcases along with the good balance with the Travis picking parts. A tele and a champ is indeed an awesome pairing.

seanmarshall9 likes this.
  8. freakformusic

freakformusic NEW MEMBER!

Hey. I saw Julian Live in Prag last month. His setup was a Nachocaster, Bridge Pickup, Deluxe RI, Strymont Flint, JHS Morning Glory and Polytune. And of course his magic hands. I talked to him afterwards and he said he is using the bridge pickup lately a lot because more overtones are present. Just an amazing player.

I play a MIJ 52 Reissue with 2 Lollar CC into a 79 Princeton Reverb. Sound is great but looking for that nice overdrive. Maybe the JHS Morning Glory would make it happen. Because the Princeton is quite loud if I want it to break up naturally.

Keep diggin for good tone.

Alex

OwenHu99 and King Creole like this.
  9. ConsiderMeMiles

ConsiderMeMiles Tele-Meister

Julian's Danocaster has been on permanent loan to his girlfriend, singer-songwriter Margaret Glaspy, for well over a year. He tours with the Nachocaster (easily identified from it's lack of headstock graphic), records with his '54 Tele (all original, but the body has been refinished multiple times...I recall an interview with Julian where he said "this was the only way I could afford it!").

He and Margaret both collect vintage tweed Fender Champs. He's stated that he uses the Flint only for its reverb (last time I saw Julian live, however, he went direct into a Champ and relied upon the room's natural reverb). The Morning Glory is a relatively new addition, and from what I've seen, he only has it when he's not traveling with one of his Champs (he appears to favor DRRI's when renting amps on the road...just like Frisell...just like Scofield...etc).

10. PedalFreak

PedalFreak TDPRI Member

Arclight was his Danocaster with Ellis pickups and a Tweed Super with a Flint in between :)

The past few months, including the OP's video, Julian has been playing a Tweed Harvard with a small pedalboard. Sonic Research Tuner > Morning Glory > Super Bolt > (sometimes a JHS Milkman) > Flint. Using as stated above his Nachocaster, which is a one of Nacho's Broadcasters. Sound's like it's stock to whatever Nacho set it up with as far as pickups go.

And from Instagram/Facebook photos, Julian used the Champ, Harvard, '54 and Nachocaster for the Mondern Lore album :)

11. somethingclever

somethingclever NEW MEMBER!

Does anybody know if the pickups on his nachocaster are wired in parallel or in series? He seems to primarily use the middle position when he's not on the bridge pickup and it really doesn't sound like a typical tele when both pickups are on. I was thinking it might be the original broadcaster wiring with a blend control but I think I remember reading somewhere that nacho wires them to be in series in the middle position.
    If they're in series it would sort of act like a humbucker, no? That might explain some things...

robinsong likes this.
  12. seanmarshall9

seanmarshall9 TDPRI Member

Lage's Tele-era albums have my favorite guitar tone to date, so it's safe to say I have spent a while trying to get his sound.

I play a tele (SD Broadcaster pup) thru a 65 DRRI.

The closest I've gotten to JL's tone is using a compressor (a la Dyna Comp) to give it a more nasal sound with tamed Highs. I also have a Fulltone Fulldrive at "flat EQ" setting with very subtle OD to give it that mid push saturation he has.

It sounds spot on to me- but I would guess that we can all get there in our own way.

sntsvt likes this.
  13. OwenHu99

OwenHu99 TDPRI Member

thanks for the reply. im still trying to get his tone from "live in los angeles". currently im running my mim tele (alder body maple board) into a j rocket archer with treble all the way down and fender blues junior with mids cranked and treble very low. its gotten me reasonbly close but i have to turn down the tone on my tele and play with a very gentle pick attack. the set of 12s on my tele is killing me though haha.

what a player he is! i have the same feeling of amazement everytime i revisit his videos

14. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

When I watch this video, the subtle things about the tone I hear are a nearly cranked amp and changing right hand positions, and mostly the hybrid picking. Picking with a pick is different than picking with fingers, and he uses both brilliantly, to produce subtle tone changes. He moves his hand towards the bridge as well as using the pick for a icepick tone but moves towards the neck for softer tone. He seems in total control.

Excuse me but I'm going back to practice now. My Tele always reminds me of the acoustic guitar, and I think he has played a lot of acoustic guitar. Tone is in your fingers, and in this case it is the right hand hybrid picking. Pickups won't matter, and you can't just buy ability.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. OwenHu99

OwenHu99 TDPRI Member

Absolutely. This is a man that has played guitar professionally for more than 20 years and improved constantly. He is hands down the one guitarist that has inspired me to study theory and practice the most.

I recently played Day and Age by him in my school concert and realized again just how much harder it is to play on stage despite having almost perfected it at home. Yet he is always so effortless and joyous on stage. Such an inspiration!

nosuch, RadioFM74 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  16. seanmarshall9

seanmarshall9 TDPRI Member

Owen- sounds like a fun adventure.

I cannot recommend enough the SD Broadcaster pickup- its cheap, useful, easy to install, and highly revered. I've even seen Don Mare comment on here that that was his favorite pickup of all time.

I also think a compressor helps, too, but it seems like Lage makes it work without one most of the time. Good luck!

17. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Cool player.
    Once again, a TDPRI thread exposes me to something great)

18. ConsiderMeMiles

ConsiderMeMiles Tele-Meister

This.

...and the 10,000 hours of "deliberate practice" that Malcolm Gladwell prescribes to become an expert in any field.

19. DustinG

DustinG TDPRI Member

I saw Julian playing with Margaret Glaspy a couple month ago and he had his red tele. Is that the nachocaster? This is a different tele than the ones used on Arclight (which was a 60's tele with a rosewood fretboard) and Modern Lore (where he used his '54 tele).

The Nachocaster sounded amazing live. Does anyone know if that guitar has the same Ron Ellis pickups as his other guitars?

Also, (yes, I know there's much more to his tone than the pickups), does anyone have a recommendation for a pickup set with a similar tone as Ron Ellis pickups without the same price tag and wait list?

20. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think that's a Champ or any "cranked" amp in the first video. It looked like a much bigger amp, and I think he was using a pedal to get the tweedy overdriven sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.