1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Getting JIGGY wit it!

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by jamorudd, Sep 4, 2015.

1. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

In the last couple years I've built a handful of acoustic guitars, and several ukuleles as well. However, when I got into building acoustics, I kind of charged in willy nilly, just making the most of what tools I had access to. I did buy a radius dish, bending iron, and the stew Mac rosette cutter base for my dremel, but other than that, a pretty rough process, and thus, I've not been totally thrilled with the end results.

So, as I've posted on the Whats on your workbench thread, I've been drawing up some plans for my first dreadnought build. (The others have all been either parlors or L00 small body guitars.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, before the actual build starts, I am giving my acoustic shop a major upgrade, then I am determined to take the build very slowly, and hopefully come out of it with a nice instrument.

So, I thought I'd document some of the preparations here.

Here's what's on the docket:

-Body mortise routing jig (complete)
    -Neck tenon jig (mostly complete)
    -Some spool clamps (in the works)
    -Body binding jig and cradle for body
    -Dreadnought mold/form

2. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

I'll post some pictures of what I've got so far sometime this afternoon.

And if anyone has a favorite/necessary jig that I've left off of my list feel free to post it here!

3. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

The mortise jig:

I'll be using this for a mortise/tenon style bolt on neck, using 2 barrel nuts in the tenon of the neck.

Unfortunately, I had no intentions of making a thread when I was working on this jig the other day, so I only have one picture of the construction process:

[​IMG]

But here's how it turned out:

[​IMG]

Here's how it works. Clamp it on the the body by tightening up the wing nuts on the front. Then set the depth stop on the top to the necessary depth, then insert your favorite pattern bit, and rout away!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only minor detail left is to pick up some thin cork board for the surfaces that actually clamp onto the body.

4. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Also pretty much got the neck tenon jig finished up this afternoon. Just need a tiny bit of hardware for locking in the plate that sets the tenon length.

Fortunately I did get pics of the build process on this one. Started by doing a lot of measuring and drawing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then did some cutting and routing:

[​IMG]

Cut some pieces for an enclosure:

[​IMG]

Glue em down:

[​IMG]

After some undocumented work on the back piece, I had this:

[​IMG]

Glue on some supports for the top:

[​IMG]

Glue the two pieces together:

[​IMG]

Last step- glue on an extension for clamping to the bench.

[​IMG]

Here's how it works. Clamp the jig up to the bench:

[​IMG]

Clamp the neck in using the cross pieces on the front:

[​IMG]

Adjust and lock in the sliding top plate to set tenon length. (The set screws and nuts are missing, but will just a two 1" hex head 1/4 20 with wing nuts on the bottom to lock it in place.

[​IMG]

5. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Last bit of progress so far was getting started on 20 new spool clamps. These are definitely the simplest thing on the list, but tedious, monotonous, and time consuming.

Started by measuring out and marking up some scrap 1/2" ply.

[​IMG]

Those are 1 1/4" x 1 1/2" rectangles. Cut out and cleaned up on the ROSS:

[​IMG]

Then set this up to get easily repeatable hole placement:

[​IMG]

Started with a slight recess on half of them (the ones that will be on the bottom) for the hex head:

[​IMG]

Then used a 1/4" bit to drill through all of them. I still need to add some thin cork to each piece, and need to pick up a few more 6" bolts and wing nuts, but here's how they're looking:

[​IMG]

6. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Spent the brief cool part of the day by getting started on the binding jig and the Dreadnought body mold.

First, just a 1/4 ply tracing template for the dread shape:
    [​IMG]

Then I cut and shaped the first 1/2" ply pieces for the mold and spreaders. (The ones on the left) these will also be templates for the rest. The two on the right are just rough cut. I'll have to pick up some more 1/2" ply so I can make some more before this progressed any further.

[​IMG]

Then on to the binding jig. Up first, marking out the plate that the router will attach to. My plan is to pick up a new Bosch Colt Laminate trimmer in a couple weeks, so I can't drill the mounting holes until I have that in hand...

[​IMG]

Then I slacked on the photography, but I think it pretty much speaks for itself:

[​IMG]

Here's how it will look when it's all done, with some 14" drawer slides connecting the 2 parts.

[​IMG]

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

That binding jig design works pretty well with the drawer guides. I put wing nuts and lock washers on mine and have used it for an overarm router for a slot or two.

[​IMG]

I made my original spool clamps out of slices of a hardwood closet rod. I still have them all.

8. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Ooo, good thinking for the overarm router capability. I'll certainly do the same.

The spool clamps can come in very handy! I'm planning to run a ring of 1/4" holes through the body mold, about 3/8" outside of the bent sides. I can then run the spool clamps through them, and glue and clamp the top and back on while still in the mold.

I'm also thinking I'll make some the use 2 wing nuts and are shaped to the perimeter of the dread shape. Stealing that idea from violin makers:

[​IMG]

9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

10. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Some progress on the body mold this morning. First, I screwed the two rough cut ply pieces to the one I'm using as a template and used a pattern bit in the router table to make them all identical. Then drilled the holes to allow for the spool clamps while they were all still stuck together to get those consistently placed. Here's the two cleaned up pieces:

[​IMG]

Then I cut up a 2x4 and glued it in in tabs as spacers to give me a bit more width.

[​IMG]

11. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Trimmed the pine spacers down with the bandsaw, then router table:

[​IMG]

Then glued the two pieces together. Here's half of the exterior of the mold complete:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Picked up some more supplies while I was in OKC the other day. Got some 1/8" cork sheet, so I've been progressing the most tedious of this projects, the spool clamps...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also picked up some drawer slides at woodcraft:

[​IMG]

Got those installed:

[​IMG]

I also picked up another sheet of plywood, so I started work on the other portion of this jig, the base that holds the body level:

[​IMG]

And got the rest of the plywood cut for the body mold and the interior spreaders:

[​IMG]

All of these are getting close now, but I still need to take a trip to the hardware store to grab some nuts and bolts, a hinge, a clasp, the turnbuckles and several things I'm sure I'm forgetting...

13. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

And this evening got the mold and spreaders pretty much knocked out!

[​IMG]

14. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Got the rest of base for the binding jig knocked out today:

[​IMG]

15. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Got this little guy today as a birthday gift. It's the last piece of the puzzle for the binding router jig!

[​IMG]

16. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Cool thread. I can't wait to see the binding jig in action.

17. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Wow, lookin good.

18. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks! I've got pretty much every detail of the first guitar I'll be building with these new bits mapped out in my head, and will definitely be posting a thread in the THD when the time comes. For now, I'm forcing myself to finish up 2 or 3 other projects that are nearing the final stages before I start any real work on the dread. I know from other folks posts that I'm not the only one that has difficulty finishing one project before starting the next...

19. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome work, Jamo! All the jigs and prep work are going to make the build so much easier.

People keep asking me if I'm ever going to start building acoustics, and I tell them I don't have room in my shop for the amount of jigs and tooling required :lol:.

20. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

Looking great.
    Im at work but ill find pictures of a few more jigs that helped me with the last challenge.

A couple more jigs that come to mind.

Neck angle jig.
    The jig to cut the angle on the neck tenon.
    The notch in the hammer handle to make applying force on binding easier.
    Shooting board for joining plates
    Saw jig to hold small pieces and keeping hand sawing straight
    Kerfing jig so you can make perfect looking kerfing on bandsaw

Im sure there are others. Ill give it more thought.

Matthew

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.