Getting into The Grateful Dead

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by tele-rain, Apr 25, 2016.

1. fuffydingo

fuffydingo Former Member

Do yourself a favor and go see Dead And Company. John Mayer is on fire and the band is as tight as I've heard in a long time.

bloomz likes this.
  2. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

That is exactly what pushed me to start checking them out on a serious basis! I am a huge Mayer fan, so when he started talking about playing with the Dead, it piqued my interest. Of course I've always know of the Dead and it's various incarnations over the years. I have a cousin and his wife who are bonafide Deadheads. So he's sent me links to a lot of the live streams like Bonnaroo, most recently. I enjoy it, but they're so long, I haven't really watched a full show just yet. It's hard to remain invested in it all with not knowing the songs that well, at this point at least...but I do love the playing.

3. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I can’t advise you as I do not like them. They have a few songs I think are OK but they are the un-funkiest most white bread band ever. How they have retained such a huge following for more than 40 years is one of the great mysteries of the universe. It’s actually scary to contemplate.

4. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

Wife Number two is a Deadhead, so I've been to shows, heard the bootlegs, know a lot of their history. Garcia came from a folk/bluegrass background and some of his side projects reflect that. The band was innovative with their live sound, pioneering efforts to create a better experience for the audience. And every jam band on the planet owes Jerry and the boys a nod.

5. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

PS they went thru Keyboard players like Spinal Tap went thru drummers

6. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

It is a mystery to those who don't get it, I guess. I can see your point, because I don't completely get it myself yet, but I also think the following thing goes far and beyond the music. It's more a vibe, a sense of community and connectedness. You can't define that sorta thing.

Chip and 6stringcowboy like this.
  7. fuffydingo

fuffydingo Former Member

I try to post to threads where I have something positive to add, if I'm not into a thread I won't respond. .....just saying. It's too easy to be a "Debbie Downer". (~);-}

Chip likes this.
  8. Mjark

I 'll consider myself scolded.

fuffydingo likes this.
  9. Mjark

I guess, I know a lot of people that are really into them that are otherwise completely normal!

10. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Seeing them next month and I am jazzed, both for the guitar playing and for someone holding down the bottom - finally.

fuffydingo likes this.
  11. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Saying they are white-bread and un-funky demonstrates a clear lack of understanding of the time or place they came out of and a lack of appreciation for the depth of what they did.

I'd say they were maybe the least white-bread bunch of white boys from Cali of all time.

12. fuffydingo

fuffydingo Former Member

Saw them last week in Saratoga, awesome show and the crowd was a "Grate" mood. John Boy is so much more relaxed and confident, it was fun to watch and hear.

bloomz likes this.
  13. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

I guess it's a good thing they weren't a funk band then. ;)

I'd say they've maintained a solid followimg for so long because of a whole lot of really good songs that were always played from the heart, shows that were played without a net, and that thing that unexplainable to anybody who wasn't there. You really had to be there to understand that there was nothing like a Grateful Dead concert. As Bill Graham said, "They're not the best at what they do, they're the only ones that do what they do."

And I'm with songtalk, whitebread they were/are not!

14. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Q: So, what did the Deadhead say when the drugs wore off?

A: "Wow, these guys suck!"

Easy now, it's just a joke :D

fuffydingo likes this.
  15. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

This recording has great separation of the Bob Weir and Jerry Garcia. This is some advanced improvisation. Jerry was amazing. There is no one that plays guitar like Bob Weir. Listen to the rhythm.

moosie, fuffydingo and songtalk like this.
  16. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

1) I think Jerry might have played a tele while his Doug Irwin guitars were being fitted for the midi unit.

2) If you're ready to move on from American Beauty/Working Man's Dead type stuff, check out One From the Vault.

songtalk likes this.
  17. fuffydingo

fuffydingo Former Member

I've seen an old video sometime ago on YouTube with Jerry playing a Tele, I think Elvis Costello was singing....maybe?

18. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I play "Eyes of the World" and "Shakedown Street" with a band and the songs are fun to play.

19. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I listened to 'Box of Rain' last night from "American Beauty". It has Don Nelson credited with electric guitar. It sounds to me like he's using a tele with a B bender. The licks are so tasty, makes me wish the Dead had done a bit more of that sort of thing.

20. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Here it is. Jerry on Harrison's rosewood tele from Festival Express. Lots of good guitar here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.