Getting into dub

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tuuur, Jan 5, 2011.

1. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

So my colleague was playing these awesome reggae tunes.
    They turned out to be King Tubby tracks, and now I can't stop listening to them... well at least I'm in a relaxed mood now :D

Did some research and it turns out that the backing band he used were The Agrovators, consisting of musicians like Sly & Robbie, Carlton and Aston Bennett (rhythm section of the Wailers on the classic Bob Marley albums).
    Really high quality stuff!

2. therecordfable

therecordfable Banned

A favorite of mine...

3. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Wow! That Karma Police version is excellent!

4. therecordfable

therecordfable Banned

Glad you enjoyed:)

5. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

CD: Dub Essentials

6. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Excellent post agitator! That should keep me busy for some time... :D

The first time I heard dub was UB40's Present Arms in Dub, which I liked, but never had the impact I experience with King Tubby's tracks.
    I guess it's due to the more synth-y tones UB40 uses.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  7. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

Augustus Pablo is my favourite, love the melodica!

8. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Indeed!

And I gotta get me one of those... for about 30 euros there's these by Hohner:

[​IMG]

(and with that I end my 3000th post :D)

9. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

I think the first dub album I heard may have been "Garvey's Ghost", the dub version of Burning Spear's "Marcus Garvey". That's a great one to pick up, too. Good call on the Augustus Pablo (that's more Tubby-mixed dub, actually).

Pretty much everything on the Blood & Fire label is going to kill. Most of the examples I posted are from that label and once you get through that list, you can pick almost anything from their catalog and enjoy it (they have a lot of DJs and singers, too).

Lee "Scratch" Perry has a lot of compilations out that include dubbing even if they're not strictly "dub" albums. E.g., two of the best are "Open the Gate" and "Build the Ark" which each have a vocal version of a song followed by its dub throughout their tracklists. He doesn't have as many "pure dub" albums as Tubby but he's definitely the #2 heavy hitter when it comes to dub.

Some other good stuff....

For an older, more rootsy vibe:

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Jazz-Rec...VTTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294323244&sr=8-1

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Studio-One-Dub-2/dp/B000R4S6IM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294323244&sr=8-2

For a more modern vibe, I love the Mad Professor, especially these albums:

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Black-liberat...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1294323296&sr=1-2

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Racist-D...=sr_1_9?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1294323296&sr=1-9

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Dub...=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1294323296&sr=1-6

Also, all the stuff in the "Scientist meets..." series is good (Scientist was one of Tubby's proteges).

Finally, I'm including links to Amazon for convenience, but the best place to order reggae online (CDs or LPs) is usually Ernie B's: http://www.ebreggae.com/

No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer.

10. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

See if you can find some old school sound clashes from back in the days. I think King Tubby was killed in around 1989, so anything before that which is mixed lived by him and his people is golden. I used to have a ton uploaded onto my PC, but I lost them all in a hard-drive failure and for the life of me they were so obscure I forget the names. Where I grew up (and still in certain places nearby) there were lots of dub shops selling unique dubplates and other wild stuff. The best was always some live remixing done by people like Tubby and Perry. There were some Studio One vs tapes I had that were stupidly good.

I've seen a lot of sound systems live and Perry a few times. The new stuff just isn't as good for the most part. I think it's because of the influence of other music watering down the the dubby goodness. It's still cool, but in general Jamaican music is a little less soulful and well produced then in the Super-Ape days. Shame really, because it's becoming really popular again here in the UK. I've been to some cool clubs where you are getting Dubstep and Drum'n'bass mixed into full on Dub and Jamaican Soul. Some of the best nights I've been too have been places where they were mixing really classic Calypso into things like Ska/Rocksteady and it makes you remember how good West-Indian music was pre-1980.

11. sotob

sotob Tele-Holic

+1!

12. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

Scientist!!!!! The most fun, wacked out heavy dubs ever.

Lee pErry and Tubby, for sure. There's a comp. called 100% of Dub, all Tubby tracks--great sound, all remastered.

Also, check out the record Burnt Friedman and the Nu Dub Players...modern electronic dub...wild, and yet, familiar...

Dub Syndicate's almost always good.

Oh, and Roots Manuva's record "Dub come save me." Heavy.

13. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

Where is Yellowman???

Is he not the KING of dub-reggae - I saw him in 1981, and had a dj and full reggae band with him. way fun. especially when he tried to describe "How do the white man f%$#@"

I bet he is old - this is a great thread - I gotta go through my vinyl....

14. Bluessoldier

Bluessoldier Tele-Meister

Dub is great! :D

I like Scientist the most. His stuff seems more musical and instrumental than others.

My favourite (and also quite a few people's) album is:
    Scientist - Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires.

Great wah-wah guitar on this song:

Enjoy!

15. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Yellowman is a DJ (rapper). That's different from dub. Dub is typically all-instrumental (or mostly instrumental).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.