Getting clean sounds out an Eleven Rack

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Digital Larry, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm just making a note here for further elaboration.

#1 a lot of the amp models are based on early Fender amps, which while not high gain, are also lacking master volume circuits (as part of the amp model, anyway)

#2 getting a totally clean sound usually involves turning the volume way down on a non-MV model

#3 level can be compensated by using the "amp out" level control, which is separate from the amp block's controls.

#4 (I just figured this out last night) - when you use the compressor block, MAKE SURE IT COMES BEFORE the amp block. This was a real SMH moment - been using one of the 2 compressors, usually in "FX1", but never checked to make sure that was positioned BEFORE the amp block. FX1 can also be used for modulations, which I think are more likely to go after the amp block than dynamics.

#5 The DC Modern Clean is probably the cleanest model I've found so far, and is supposedly a composite, not based on any specific real world amp.

2. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

That would depend on the compressor type used.

If you use the "gray comp" it should come before the amp block like the majority of stomp box compressors. The Dyn III is more suited to "post production" tones and would thrive after the amp block and used subtly.

Digital Larry likes this.
  3. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

All right, well that's interesting and good to know. My main point is that you can dink with the compressor's settings all day long, but if it's after the amp block, none of that is going to affect the amount of grit the amp block itself is creating. Some of the "clean" amp models, e.g. SL-100 Clean, hey it SOUNDs like it should be clean, but it's only relatively clean. In the case of my Eleuke, it's got nylon strings and an active preamp with a pretty strong output and most of the time I don't want to hear any grit out of it at all no matter how hard I hit it.

I guess another possibility for that would be to disable the amp block completely, in which case you'd probably wind up using one of the EQs to dial in some "voicing" to taste. I haven't tried that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.