Getting away from daisy chain

stueycaster

TDPRI Member
I've been using my pedals daisy chained for a couple years now. The guys at the guitar store told me it as Ok. But recently my volume fades away and comes back over and over again. So I've ordered a power supply with individual outputs.

My question is: The outputs supply different amperages. There are 4 @ 100 mA, 3 @ 300mA and 1 @ 500 mA. I'm going to need to use all of them. I've checked a few of my pedals and can't find an amperage requirement on them.

I was hoping someone could tell me which I should use for my different pedals. I have:

Boss SD1
Keeley Aria
Boss CS3
Boss EQ200
Boss PS6
Boss CH1
EHX Canyon
MXR Smart Gate

Yeah I know a lot of people don't like Boss Pedals but that's what Sam Ash in San Antonio has. I know this is probably a lot to ask but I was hoping someone could help me match the pedals to the outputs.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I don't know either ... but the drives will draw the least, I can't imagine the smart gate will draw much power either....any digital delays and maybe the boss EQ200 will draw the most.

the Boss SD1 draws around 4mA, a Boss DD5 needs 65mA for example. ... so 100mA is quite a lot in most cases.

tomasz

Tele-Holic
Usually standard pedals draw pretty low current, like 100mA. The higher amp slots are usefull for digital pedals, that may draw 300+ mAmps. The Boss EQ-200 will draw 170 according to manual, that's probably your highest drawing pedal in the chain

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I'm just guessing here.... but

The SD1 CS3 CH1 Smart Gate should all be more than happy with 100mA.

Aria, PS6 and Canyon in the 300mA

and the EQ200 in the 500mA

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
I've been using my pedals daisy chained for a couple years now. The guys at the guitar store told me it as Ok. But recently my volume fades away and comes back over and over again. So I've ordered a power supply with individual outputs.

My question is: The outputs supply different amperages. There are 4 @ 100 mA, 3 @ 300mA and 1 @ 500 mA. I'm going to need to use all of them. I've checked a few of my pedals and can't find an amperage requirement on them.

I was hoping someone could tell me which I should use for my different pedals. I have:

Boss SD1
Keeley Aria
Boss CS3
Boss EQ200
Boss PS6
Boss CH1
EHX Canyon
MXR Smart Gate

Yeah I know a lot of people don't like Boss Pedals but that's what Sam Ash in San Antonio has. I know this is probably a lot to ask but I was hoping someone could help me match the pedals to the outputs.
Nothing wrong with Boss pedals. They are simple to operate, reliable, and reasonably priced. Prince had a lot of Boss pedals on his board.

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
Boss is great, but not bullet proof. I've had nearly 150 pedals, and the only 5 I've ever had fail were Boss. Just look at their schematics. It takes about 30 components just to turn one on! Still got a dozen Boss pedals, but let's understand them for what they are.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
Boss is great, but not bullet proof. I've had nearly 150 pedals, and the only 5 I've ever had fail were Boss.

My experience has been the opposite. In 40 years I have never had a BOSS pedal fail me beyond something maintenance/cleaning couldn't cure. To be fair though, I don't have any experience with their latest generations including the WAZA line. Any pedal I've owned has been at least 20 years old.

Loads of pros have used Boss for many, many years.

John Jorgenson (Desert Rose, Elton John, The Hellecasters, etc...) comes to mind. Any time I see his boards they have been BOSS loaded supplemented with a couple tube screamers. His tone does not suffer.

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah, of 150 pedals with 2.6% failure in my case, there may be more than 2.7% margin of error in your case. Pretty small, and hasn't prompted Boss to make any changes because of it. Rightfully so. Experience aside, all pedals can fail. We can probably agree that if we multiply the number of components it takes to accomplish a simple task that the likelihood of failure goes way up.

TeleTex82

Friend of Leo's
Howdy fellow San Antonian! Nothing wrong with Boss pedals, but if you ever want to venture into more boutiquey lands, check out Lark guitars on McCullough. They have a great selection of stomp boxes and the nicest electrics in town.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Loads of pros have used Boss for many, many years.

When you watch Premier Guitar Rig Rundowns they have to be the most common brand you'll see. However, I guess part of that is because it's easy and relatively inexpensive to replace them if needed vs something like a Klon or King of Tone.