Getting an ash body to look like this...???

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by etype, Jul 6, 2019.

1. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

As I am sure is true for a lot of people who post here, I have scoured TDPRI and the Internet and thoroughly confused myself.

My plan is to use Tru Oil as the finish. On an ash body, is that enough to get this look (although it may take a year to darken to this) or do I need to add some dye? Does it look like someone used a tinted grain filler first? If so, do I need to apply a coat of dewaxed shellac first, then tinted grain filler, and then the Tru Oil? Or am I missing a step?

I do have a practice scrap of ash to practice on, but I'd like to get the steps right first.

Is this about right? Can I skip any of the steps? Do I need to add one or two?

1. Shellac (I guess the point is to get the dye to "take" more evenly as ash can get blotchy)
    2. Amber dye (but do I even need this (and if not, can I skip the shellac)?
    3. tinted grain filler (although is this needed to match the below pic?)
    4. Tru Oil (10-12 coats).

Or should grain filler go on before the dye?

And I realize the number of coats of filler depends on how rough or smooth I want the final result to be.

[​IMG]

2. Rjelecaster

Rjelecaster Tele-Meister

Id do it with just lightly tinted shellac and tru oil. You should be able to achieve these colors that way.

Sand it properly, french polish until grain has been filled and then add a few coats of tru oil.

Would be my system of choice given your suggested system and objective. Grain filling with shellac (without pumice) gives incredible depth to the finish. Practice this on scrap and you will see.

Skydog1010 and etype like this.
  3. Rjelecaster

Rjelecaster Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Mr. Neutron, tintag27, ftbtx and 5 others like this.
  4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm contemplating that same look to an ash FB body.

The image you used as an example has very little finish though. Satin. 10-12 coats of TO is gonna start to get pretty glossy looking. Looks like it has been stained/grain filled to get the grain to stand out & then sanded back.

I bought a lefty friend an ash T style guitar that was finished as satin similarly. Very dry grain feeling finish to the touch. It was nice.
    [​IMG]

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  5. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful! But I am going for a more aged look (not reliced, but like the finish was done years back).

6. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Will this end up being a gloss finish or can it be semi-gloss/low gloss with only 4 coats of Tru Oil?

7. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

To get more of this type of look, would linseed oil or Danish oil be the better choice (rather than Tru Oil). And can those also be applied over shellac? Or should I be grain filling with something else (to avoid it being too shiny)?

8. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I like pure tung oil instead of tru oil

hdvades likes this.
  9. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

The first pic is just unfilled ash, leaving the grainy surface, a look that I think is really crappy/lazy. You can get that color and effect easily, and in a variety of ways, which is why some people choose to do it. It certainly doesn't look like an old guitar. If anything, it looks like a mellowed, oiled cutting board to me. If you like that look, it could not be easier to attain. Though I think oiled wood is a bad choice for an instrument finish, TruOil has one plus -- it's not really oil.

Flakey likes this.
  10. Rjelecaster

Rjelecaster Tele-Meister

This is just shellac on top of water bourne stain. I first made the burst with stain and then applied the french polish. I hope you like it, I used up every face of every chip I had remaining from making this body ;). But if you source good quality shellac and denatured alcohol, you should be able to replicate what you want to achieve on some of your very first pieces of scrap.

etype likes this.
  11. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

I like the look of the OPs first post. To me it looks very natural and inviting, in fact I want to touch it and... Well OK now perhaps I'm oversharing..

Sean Mac and etype like this.
  12. Bendyha

Bendyha Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This one is roasted ash.
    [​IMG]

Jim_in_PA, Sean Mac and etype like this.
  13. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I did an alder Strat body with Formsby Tung oil finish Not really tung oil but more like an oil/varnish. You can rub it on or flow it on with a small brush. It levels right out and looks good with the brush. Comes in low gloss or high gloss. 2 coats:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

etype likes this.
  14. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Look great too (I'd be happy with that!), but once a body is cut it is too late to roast it.

15. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Looks like the ash took the stain pretty evenly. Was I wrong about ash being blotchy? Or did you get lucky? Or some third possibility?

16. bender66

There are really good replies already.

I'd do, & will, just do a few coats of Tru Oil with your choice of color under. I like using shellac & you can get it to look like that straight away with the natural tint to shellac or you can tint it to your liking. Like I mentioned before, figure out what you want to do with your grain enhancement first.

I've also got an ash Snakehead kit too. This would look good for that given the era of that guitar.

Lazy finish? Maybe. I'm so tired of the high gloss candy looking poly finishes that this "lazy" finish is refreshing & I find simply gorgeous. I want it to wear. I want to be able to feel the wood on my fingertips & a nice satin neck.

That almost looks like Minwax Golden Pecan in the op image.

etype likes this.
  17. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

Here's just zpoxy over ash:

20190618_013629.jpg

Mr. Neutron, etype and bender66 like this.
  18. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Assuming I don't want to accentuate the grain: 1. A tinted shellac to my liking (wipe on two coats?). And then a couple of coats of Tru Oil. Would the Tung Oil finish be similar to the Tru Oil but with a lower gloss? Any advantage to one over the other? Thanks!!!

19. bender66

Sure. I'd do a French Polish method to keep it thin coats.

I'd apply the TO with my finger tip to do the same, keeping it as thin as I could and be able to control/minimize the level of gloss.

I've never used tung oil, although I have some. I think the Tru oil has a bit more durability protection in its make up than tung oil.

As others would say repeatedly... practice on scrap pieces until you like what you get. It's the best advice to give.

Others will come along with much more knowledge than I.

20. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

damn wish I had a photo of an old ash tele body I had that had exactly this look

all I did was use tung oil and wait a decade or so

it was a little more matte, so at the end I hit it with a light swipe of shellac

etype likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.