Getting a Mesa Boogie Studio .22 to sound like a silverface fender

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jack Clayton, Dec 15, 2018.

1. hermit crab

hermit crab TDPRI Member

Graphic in a V at 800 hz cleaned my .50 caliber up and make it more fender like but still different. A high sensitivity jensen would help lower mids a bit and keep headroom ok ( C12N/K or tornado classic 100 ) but I've found graphic eq helps more than speakers. Once mids taken care of not sure you will get more clean headroom with a deluxe as tube rectified. That gives the fender a more compressed low end but reverb and trem's the main difference.

I have the black shadow 200 W EV in my boogie. At 8.6 kg it turns it into a boat anchor. I know it is well respected but i don't like it with that preamp and small cab. It's got a spike right at the resonant frequency of my tele bridge pickup ( icepick ) and lacks low end being so mid focused which in such a small cab doesn't help. To me the main issue is the small cab size and no speaker can overcome that.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Crobbins likes this.
  2. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

I owned a Studio 22 for a bit. I’ve also owned my share of Fenders. I get that you’ve already purchased the amp, but perhaps you should sell it and buy what you’re actually after.

The Studio 22, to me, will always sound like a Mesa. They have a unique, characteristic voice. It’s a cool voice, but it ain’t a Fender voice. Even the ones with bigger iron and big bottle tubes have that Mesa ‘honkiness’ you can’t quite dial out.

Just play it for what it is or move it along. That’s my $.02

Crobbins, hermit crab and MilwMark like this.
  3. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Even with sellers, there is confusion about this.The graphic EQ is not what makes it a plus. They both came with or without onboard graphic EQ. If the switches on the front are metal toggles it is a 22. If the switches on the front are plastic it is a 22+. Also, the 22 has 7 knobs and the 22+ has 8 knobs on the front.

Studio 22 with graphic EQ

[​IMG]

Studio 22 no graphic EQ.

[​IMG]

Studio 22+ with graphic EQ.

[​IMG]

Studio 22+ no graphic EQ.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Paul in Colorado, Crobbins and Wally like this.
  4. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I don't have the circuitry knowledge others are contributing, so all I can say is that in my experience w/ small Mesa Boogie combos, I have never, ever liked the original speaker and have found the tubing and the actual tubes to sort of suck. I end up subbing in 5751s and even 12AU7s for the 12AX7s because even toned down amps like my F50 just seem way, way too hot. I can't always afford to replace the stock speakers, but I find them tight and hard-sounding. I like SS rectifiers, so that's not it. Honestly, while I can eventually get a decent clean sound out of these amps -- and you really do have to use knob settings that would seem way unusual on other amps; that's how Mesas work -- I've never been able to stick with one for my main sound. I always end up back with my Fenders, or sometimes a Vox. I'll probably try a Fillmore 25 one of these days and go through the whole thing again.

Crobbins likes this.
  5. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

Celestion V-type speaker will help you achieve the mid scoop

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Another factor is that a Studio .22(+) is an EL 84 amp while SF Fenders are 6V6 or 6L6 amps.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The choice of power tubes is not the major factor in the amp’s voicing, ime. The circuit design points the way for what the tubes will do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.