Getting A Grip On Your Pick...

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by AxRookie, Nov 8, 2019 at 5:26 AM.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I use the Herco nylons and find them slippery.
    I drill a few holes in them.

2. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A melting ice cube. I can’t stop laughing!

3. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

4. AxRookie

AxRookie Tele-Meister

I don't know about licking my fingers because I know where they've been! lol

Holes in the pick sounds like it could really work good, I'm going to have to mess around with that Idea!

Telecaster88 likes this.
  5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to have the devil of a time holding on to a pick. Not sure what changed, but I got over it, apparently. I don't do anything special. l prefer small celluloid picks ala Fender 451. I hold the pick by laying it on the side of my index, then clamping with the thumb.

MilwMark likes this.
  6. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

LiteAsh and Telecaster88 like this.
  7. AxRookie

AxRookie Tele-Meister

Oh those look interesting! they kind of sound a little like what I'm using...

8. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I used Gorilla Snot, the product drummers use to keep a grip on their sticks, although the problem I was having went away, so I no longer need it. But it worked beautifully while I needed it.

9. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

I found a Moshay Pick in an old Guild case that I received.

They are my go-to picks now, and the cool thing about them, especially for hot and sweaty sessions, is the hole in the center. Your thumb and finger pads touch, effectively keeping the pick in between them.

I love em, and apparently they are still available.

~syf

10. AxRookie

AxRookie Tele-Meister

I don't like to grip the pick tight enough that my fingers would touch each other through a hole unless that hole was fairly big, Hey! that gives me an idea to try!

Talking this sort of thing out always helps! :D

11. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

threw all my picks away and stopped using them. I just bash my fingers up and rip the flesh off em. makes guitar playing a much more personal experience.

[​IMG]

12. AxRookie

AxRookie Tele-Meister

Ouch! I want a more enjoyable experience... lol

13. stormsedge

stormsedge TDPRI Member

Yesterday, I ordered three "plectrums" made from coins of different metal (on Reverb). Brass, copper, and 50% silver...look really nice and certainly unusual. Mentioning it here, because they retain the engravings, so should be some grip factor. Have no experience with metal picks other than the finger picks I use(d) on my banjo, but they were unusual and interesting, so I pulled the trigger.

Purchased them from this fellow:

https://reverb.com/shop/thehighlandplectrumco

Bluego1 likes this.
  14. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I strum a lot, and my picks have a tendency to spin. One solution I've found is to use the Clayton Triangles. Eventually they spin to the next tip and I'm good to go again!

PS For people who tried Ultex and didn't like it, Clayton makes an Ultex-like pick that I prefer to the Dunlop brand, maybe you will too...

15. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

As I phrase a line, I always adjust my pick during rests, sometime during the line. The pick is always in motion, it's is not meant to be frozen in a grip. A good picker knows this.

It may seem weird but I can sort of "will" my thumb to stick to the back of the pick, and the finger(s) of the right hand are free to move around. Thumb is stuck, fingers are free. Then slide your thumb around while the fingers hold the pick.This always fixes a shifting pick for me where I can turn the pick in anyway I want on the fly or put the pick in your palm so you can play with fingers for all the different tones available.

>Get rid of the tape< and stick your thumb on your pick and >get the skill down<, and that happens after lots of trial and error.

If you can tie your shoelaces, you could nail this little pick/hand dance.

Get rid of the tape, please train your hand =)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 9:46 PM
  16. AxRookie

AxRookie Tele-Meister

Wow it's like you didn't read anything I've posted???

I completely agree a pick is not meant to be frozen in a grip! and mine is not! VHB is not like that in any way and I've said that in as many ways as I know how, Let me try to be very clear and say...

VHB looks like a "tape" BUT when used on a pick and gripped with your finger and thumb it DOES NOT ACT LIKE A TAPE.

It does not stick to your finger or thumb like tape.

doesn't remove the need for skill or prevent you from acquiring a said skill.

And if you don't want to try it then please don't lecture me about the use of it, because you really can't until you do.

VHB doesn't glue a pick to your fingers OR prevent you from moving it around any time you feel like it, It only HELPS keep the pick where you want it, For as long as you want it, No more, No less.

And the last thing I want to do with my pick is dance with it, I just want it to sit where I told it to sit, shut up, and I'll tell it when it's time to move which will be whenever I feel like it and not a moment sooner!!! lol

Are you going to presume to tell everyone that doesn't use the same pick as you to "please train your hand"???

I guess it could be said that my technique is in my pick construction which in turn allows me to play the way I like & enjoy and isn't that what's it's really about???

THE BOTTOM LINE IS everyone plays differently, has different hands, fingers, arm length, body size, posture, and so on so some techniques just don't work for some people and who knows maybe my picks could allow someone to play in a way they never thought possible until they tried it??? There's no "right" or "wrong" way to play after all.

17. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I did read your post. Hey, you found something that works for you, have at it.
    I shared my feelings on it that I'll "stick" to.

18. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Read it a 2nd time.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019 at 6:20 AM
  19. Gyprock

Gyprock TDPRI Member

Can't you just hold the pick firmly? How can you pick fast when barely holding it? Seems a bit excessive to me..

20. AxRookie

AxRookie Tele-Meister

Well that's very easy, I grip it tight when I want to, and grip it more loosely when I want to, A little bit of VHB doesn't have any effect on how tightly or loosely I grip the pick, But when I do hold it more loosely the pick stays where I want it more often than not and I like that, VHB is a subtle effect, It won't stop you from everything you've been doing or stop you from learning anything new, at most it's an enhancement, that's all.

Look I'm not trying to shove this down anyone's throat or suggest anyone not "stick" with what's working for them, VHB is just something that I tried and it's worked well for me so I thought I'd just throw it out there thinking maybe it could make playing more enjoyable for someone else, use it, don't use it, it's all fine by me...

And just so all of you know I may not comment on everyone's suggestions but that in no way means I'm not going to look into them! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019 at 6:52 AM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.