Getting A Grip On Your Pick...

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by AxRookie, Nov 8, 2019 at 5:26 AM.

1. AxRookie

AxRookie Tele-Meister

I have been looking for something that would let me get a better grip on a pick that keeps it from moving around and needing to keep readjusting the pick position while at the same time hold the pick lightly and I finally found something that works very well.

I had tried double-sided tape before but it ended up making my fingers sticky and the adhesive would get pretty slimy pretty quickly from the oils from my fingers and add to that the tape would pick up all kinds of debris so that was a bust, but it gave me an idea one night...

Try 3M's VHB double-sided foam tape a try, it's 1mm thick and it grips in a different way than other tapes...

This is 3M's description of their VHB tape...
    3M VHB Tape consists of a durable acrylic adhesive with viscoelastic properties. This provides an extraordinarily strong double-sided foam tape that adheres to a broad range of substrates with a Pressure-sensitive adhesive bond on contact to provide immediate handling strength.

[​IMG]

So I gave it a try and for me, it works great, since it's 1mm thick it makes the pick thicker at wherever you apply it which make the pick easier to hang on to using a little grip and just by feel alone you can tell which way the pick tip is facing, the adhesive doesn't get too sticky or slimy because it's viscoelastic, it doesn't pick up all kinds of debris because it is Pressure-sensitive, and it doesn't make me fingers sticky because it isn't really a sticky kind of adhesive with skin and if anything it cleans my fingers after using it and at the same time if you hang onto it for a few seconds it starts to grip your fingers in a good way that keeps the pick from moving around between your fingers!

It's weird how good it works, I just put a strip of it on both sides of the pick and that's it...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a short video clip talking about how it works...

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I don't use a pick that often but I wonder how this stuff would work lining the inside of a slide.

3. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I use Dava picks. My fingertips are worn smooth, no fingerprints left on them so most picks just spin around. Dava picks are the only ones I've found that I can hold onto

Toadtele and PhatBoy like this.
  4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

I use Herco 50's or Brain 73's.
    They both have a lot of built in texture.
    I've tried putting little holes in smooth picks before, but I like the textured ones best.

5. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I use 1mm blue Tortex and scratch them up with my pocketknife for grip.

I was at the acoustic guitar shop and they suggested some .80mm white "Cool" brand picks. They are nice. Have a little pad of blue grip on them.

57fenderstrat and Danjabellza like this.
  6. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I do the same

7. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

+1 to Dava picks, and "Snarling Dog".

Toadtele likes this.
  8. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I've used Dunlop Jazz IIIs for 25 years, and they have the new "max grip" version with built in gripper texture. They take some getting used to, though, since they are so grippy that you can't easily rotate them in your fingertips while you're playing even if you want to (and I realized that I move my pick around in my picking hand quite a bit when I play, so too grippy causes its own problems if your pick gets off-kilter during a song).

jazz iii max grip.jpg

9. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

I always felt I had a better grip holding the pick sideways such as this random photo I found:
    8B647644-F6E0-466A-909B-65BE44CC5F9D.jpeg
    When I started, it allowed me to hold the pick with my thumb, index and middle finger for better grip. I’ve since freed up my middle finger for hybrid picking, but still hold my pick sideways.

10. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I tried the double sided scotch tape and had the same problems you did.
    Quite by accident I obtained the three sided Zagar EZ play flat-picks and they solved the problems I was having (rotation, grip) and significantly improved my playing, both acoustic and electric.
    300B8C2E-1B96-4517-8BC5-6993EE6279E6.jpeg

Telecaster88 and middy like this.
  11. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister

I love the Dunlop Max Grip's. Can get everything from 0.60's up to 1.5's. Jazz III's in different materials.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  12. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’ve found Tortex and Ultex to just be really slippery. I think different plastics might react to different player’s skin differently.

Celluloid is a lot less slippery for me.
    Taylor’s “Thermex” is better.
    Blue Chips are very grippy but only work if you don’t lose them.

Texture on the pick doesn’t seem to make much difference for me.

For some reason I tend to dislike the tone of picks that are slippery too.

bcorig likes this.
  13. Waitingfergodot

Waitingfergodot TDPRI Member

I happened across some picks made by a company called Cats Tongue. They have a bit of tack to them as they have an almost 'spikey' texture. They have a bit of a bite that keeps them from slipping around between my fingers.

The attached image looks like a spoof but, I assure you, they are a real product and I quite like them.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

14. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

V-Picks. Easy to hold and try thicker ones. I use the Big Fattie model which is 5.85mm thick. I find it takes very low pressure to hold a thick pick which helps my hand relax.

15. Bortyeast

Bortyeast Tele-Holic

Gorilla snot.

16. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister

I'm buying these just for the packaging

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

upload_2019-11-8_8-7-12.jpeg

18. Dreadnut

Dreadnut TDPRI Member

+1 on the Snarling Dog Brain Picks and the Cats Tongue picks. They just naturally grip your finger and thumb. I also have played Jazz III's for years, I'm glad they came out with grippy ones!

[​IMG]

6stringcowboy likes this.
  19. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

I just reordered a pack of Dunlop picks and instead of the regular ones I usually use I tried their new max grip. It took me a little while to get used to the feel but I do like 'em.

20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I use Clayton brand picks, white, and usually 1.26 mm thickness. My biggest problem is I have some nerve damage in my thumb and index finger from my twenty years as a neon glass blower.The Claytons have a "texture" to them that helps my grip, although I often adjust a pick's position for playing effect. I'm gonna try those Cat's Tongue picks, they look interesting. (although I AM mildly allergic to cats.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.