1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

getting a drippy fender reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by golfnut, Aug 4, 2020.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

My amp has a 2 spring reverb tank, probably short spring but not sure. The reverb is nice sounding but very subtle. Doesn't get that drippy fender reverb.

If I changed out the tank for a 3 long spring tank would I get a more Fender drip despite it being a one knob reverb?

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

What amp? Lots of other variables besides the tank.

3. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Tone King Sky King.

4. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

As long as the input and output impedances are the same, it will work but I doubt you will get a difference.

5. chillybilly

chillybilly Tele-Meister

The outboard reverb tanks were, as you probably know, run in front of the amp and added bits of distortion, drive and color as well as the reverberation itself that combined to produce the drip.

I've had some luck with replacing a tank that had too long a tail to shorten reverb but never tried, admittedly, to lengthen one.

It's easy to spend other people's money but the best luck I've had has been the Catalinbread Topanga pedal which has all the Fender outboard tank reverb controls PLUS a mix control that mimics the overall effect of the tank.

Axis29 likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Bill Moore likes this.
  7. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted

Like schmee, I'm a fan of the "long" tanks. I always change the short tanks out for a type "4". I've been using the "Mod" tanks for a while, and really like them.

8. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Afflicted

I posted on the Canadian guitar site, too, but here goes:

Mark Bartel recommends:

"There is a tube swap that will give you a slightly brighter and splashier reverb - change the 12AT7 reverb driver tube to a long-plate 12AX7. The effect should be noticeable, though may not be as much as you are looking for. It's worth a try, though. If you try this, and still need more splashiness, then perhaps I can modify it for you."

Go to page 12 of this manual for your tube layout on the new Gen of Sky Kings: https://www.toneking.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/sky-king-manual_final.pdf

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.