1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Getting a buzz...

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by kdmerchant, Mar 22, 2013.

1. kdmerchant

kdmerchant TDPRI Member

Hello, I've noticed a buzz when I hit low notes playing though my '59 Tremolux. I'm trying to isolate it using a method I read about, pushing on parts with a chop stick, I think I've isolated this to somewhere between the speaker and baffle. It's a reconed speaker. I won't reach into the amp when it's on for obvious reasons. I thought I'd post some photos to see if anyone might be able to give me more info on this amp. I can tell a few caps have been replaced. Thanks all.

Attached Files:

2. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

Try replacing one tube at a time. If you don't have backups just start with the preamp tubes. Get a few new ones and get the amp buzzing good. Pull out one tube and put in a new one. Yes you have to be careful. Use a glove or something so you don't burn your hand and just keep your other hand away from the amp. If the buzz stops put the offending tube back in to confirm.

Before I learned to do this I got rid of amps that buzzed, I took apart and put amps back together with rubber grommets and pieces of inner tube in between parts, I had speakers reconed. None of that helped because most of the time (in my amps) the buzzing was a microphonic tube. Interestingly enough all but one of the tube I have found to be microphonic were NOS.

Maybe that will be the case with yours. Good luck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.