Get Rory Gallagher inducted into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jeggles, Dec 19, 2010.

1. jeggles

jeggles Tele-Meister

Hi,

I wanted to draw your attention to this important petition that I recently signed:

"Get Rory Gallagher inducted into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame."
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/rorygallagherhalloffame/

I really think this is an important cause, and I'd like to encourage you to add your signature, too. It's free and takes just a few seconds of your time.

Thanks!

2. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Rory Gallagher is relevant.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is not relevant.

3. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

That.

4. LarryM

LarryM Tele-Holic

Why even acknowledge them?

5. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Because it'll expose a lot of people to Rory who otherwise might never hear of him, thus giving him the longer-lasting musical legacy he deserves.

6. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Rory is my all time favourite guitarist - he was a powerhouse of talent and the music world is less without him..

This was filmed the year before he died -

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  7. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

There's an old story about when Jimi Hendrix finished at Woodstock an interviewer walked up to him and asked him how it felt to be the greatest guitarist in the world. Jimi said, "I don't know. Go ask Rory Gallagher."

8. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

Too right.

And "signed".

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is Stevie Ray in the RRHOF ?

Like Rory tons more (literally have everything he ever did including all the Taste stuff) but I think SRV had a much bigger impact even though he was way more derivative than Rory.

Yeah - but, like others have said, that Hall is a load of bollocks.

10. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Definitely an all time great guitarist. No doubt about it.

It would certainly be nice to see him recognized and inducted but I somehow doubt that a petition - regardless of how many of the general public sign it - will achieve that.

11. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, not this again...

12. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

I think 100% of my non-guitar playing friends have never heard of him, and I bet the same goes for most other non-guitarists in North America.
    Look, ABBA is in the R&R Hall of Fame. You wanna stick Rory in there???

Is there a Guitar God Hall of Fame? Should be....

13. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

rory is my favourite guitarist. has been for years. i have no desire to see him beside the many wastes of space that inhabit the hall of fame. hes better than that. rory doesnt belong on mtv, or starring in a 3am infomercial with mr. T., and the hall of fame is equally pathetic. his work speaks for itself.

14. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

in europe it is different- rory is pretty well known there- even among non-players. before the internet i couldnt buy a rory album here- relatives sent them from europe. and i have no guitar playing relatives in any country.
    i love abba. they wrote songs that can make a viking cry. but they are not rock and roll lol.
    the whole hall of fame thing is just a way for somebody to make money- we are above all that, right?

15. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Can't believe he's not in it already...what are those dopes thinking??

16. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

maybe- but then we are dangerously close to having mariah carey and the black eyed peas doing some goofy remix of "laundromat". **** that.

17. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

From what I understand it's dope, singular: Jann Wenner of "Rolling Stone" fame pretty much has total control over who gets into this so called hall of fame. This is of course the same "Rolling Stone" magazine that totally lunched the best guitarists list. My view of "Rolling Stone" was that it got everything about Rock except for one crucial element: "Rolling Stone" never actually understood Rock Music.

Rory Gallagher deserves more recognition and honor, but the r&rhof is no honor, it's a cheezy gimmick.

18. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Tele-Afflicted

With YouTube and other sites, Rory's well represented, R&RHF would not be something he ever aspired to. The only thing he hoped for was to get "played on the radio once in a while"--I even heard it happen, in Fairmont, WV. no less.

19. Vanguard448

Vanguard448 Tele-Meister

I refuse to believe that Madonna and ABBA are in the R'n'R HoF but Rory Gallagher isn't.

The HoF is, let's face it, completely irrelevant to anything. Do you REALLY think that it will make that much difference to Rory's 'legacy' or his exposure if he's inducted? Does anyone actually CARE who gets' inducted to the RnRHoF anymore now that artists who are blatantly pop musicians, not rock and roll musicians, have started slipping in through the cracks? Actually, scratch that, did anyone EVER care about who got inducted into the HoF?

Basically, what I'm saying is that it will make no discernible difference whether he's inducted or not. Rory is one of my favourite blues musicians of all time, but the HoF is redundant and pointless anyway, so why bother?

20. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Were I to wish to get more recognition for a great guitarist who left us too young, and I'm not saying I'm not, a better celebrity to appeal to for this recognition than the Rock Impaired Jann Wenner would be Conan O'Brien, who simply loves playing guitar, and isn't too shabby at it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.