Get more overdrive out of my Princeton Non-Verb?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Superfuzz, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Superfuzz

Superfuzz TDPRI Member

I currently have a '68 Fender Princeton Non-Reverb and man this thing is 100% clean all the way up to 10. As pristine as it gets. Is there some way to get a teeny bit of natural drive out of it? I don't need monster gain, I would just like be able to crank it up and get some nice edge of breakup or light crunch out of it and then kick it into tonal nirvana with a nice fuzz or overdrive.. I don't want to do any drastic modifications either, maybe just replace a preamp tube and adjust the bias a bit? Something like that.

BTW I use a Tele with a Lollar Special bridge and a Strat with it, if that makes a difference.

2. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

I use one too.

I usually play with 2 OD pedals +/- a clean boost, to get me the various levels of dirt I need.

I wouldn't mess with the amp itself to get it to break up earlier when pedals are such an easy solution.

3. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

You could try tweaking it as described on this site here:

http://fenderguru.com/amps/princeton

Or try a load of different OD pedals to see if there is one that gives you the effect you're after.

4. italo

italo Tele-Meister

Headroom is priceless in such a small amp. I wouldn´t mess with the circuit. you can always try different preamp/poweramp tubes to get more hair. Or fiddle with your bias. Or push the amp with a nice overdrive pedal as other fellows suggested.

5. Dunning~Kruger

Dunning~Kruger Banned

I use to have a tube driven red knob. I think it ran on 6l6's same problem, clean as a whistle.

Never ever broke up. Ended up selling it cause it just never did its job.

6. Superfuzz

Superfuzz TDPRI Member

Yes this is what I am thinking. I definitely will not touch the circuit. That's what I was asking, could I just put in a few higher gain preamp tubes and adjust the bias to get a little more grit? Does anyone have specific suggestions? What kind of preamp tubes will work? 12AX7? Or something else? Should I change all the preamp tubes or will one tube in one certain spot make enough difference? Any suggestions on the bias?

I already have an EHX LPB-1 that is use to add a little grit but I was hoping it would be possible to get that same grit naturally from the amp. I want to use boosts and overdrives and fuzzes to push the amp over the edge, not necessarily generate all of the breakup by themselves. If I need lots of headroom I will probably just look into a bigger amp. I want to use this little amp to get nice natural slight breakup at lower volumes. I honestly wish it was a Princeton Reverb so I could have that extra gain stage.....

7. Dunning~Kruger

Dunning~Kruger Banned

What is the preamp tube compliment, if you have a 12au7 that might be the issue.

Now that I recall the super 60 red knob was not too bad, it never broke up but it had excellent cleans.

8. Superfuzz

Superfuzz TDPRI Member

Oh also does anyone have an suggestions on speakers that you like with this kind of amp? I am thinking about changing the speaker really just to preserve the stock one. I feel like every time I crank this amp up I'm going to blow the poor little speaker that comes stock. I need a speaker that can handle the amp being pushed and yet still allows early, low volume slight breakup. I don't really want a super loud, super efficient speaker. Again, I want low volume edge of breakup so I can slam it with a fuzz and get some 60s garage/psychedelic rock at a volume that doesn't get the cops called on me by someone 3 miles away.

9. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

Hit the front end over the head with some more INPUT! Get a Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ with a level control, goose the slider till you get the growl you want, add a midrange hump if ya wanna, and cut the lowest bass freq some to get rid of that Princeton low-end flab.....cheep and ez

10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Randall Smith mod was very popular with quite a few people... ;)

11. Superfuzz

Superfuzz TDPRI Member

I see 2 ECC83S preamp tubes, 2 6v6, and a GZ34/5AR4.

12. Dunning~Kruger

Dunning~Kruger Banned

might be that the amp is biased a little to cool.

Have you taken it to an amp tech. I know it dosent have any problems but it would be nice to know if it is biased a little bit to cool.

If that is the case then that could be the issue.

Honestly if it cant break up in the power section dont sweat it. I used to have one of those Riviera designed red knobs and thing never ever ever broke up in the power section.

I could get boat loads of distortion out of it with a pedal at the front end. But it just almost never broke up.

Also it could be that the speaker you have now is a super high rating and a lower speaker might help in finding that break up you are after.

What is the speaker compliment for that amp, 112 or 110?

13. italo

italo Tele-Meister

another one: You could try a 5U4 rectifier or even a 5Y3. this will bring down the voltaje quite a bit and maybe muddy up things in a pleasant way. It can´t hurt to try. lower voltaje=lower headroom.

14. Superfuzz

Superfuzz TDPRI Member

Yes it has seen a tech. About 3 years ago I think. When I got this amp it was pristine cosmetically, like it sat in a closet for 40 years. But it had a few problems on the inside. When cranked up it gave the warmest mild edge of breakup tone I've ever heard, but alas, one day I was jamming and suddenly a see a little puff of smoke comes out of the amp. I shut it off immediately. I had no choice but let a tech go through it, even if it meant I lose that warm grit. I couldn't risk letting it go and possibly causing an even bigger problem or even wrecking the amp completely. A few new caps, a new set of preamp tubes (but still has the original stock rectifier and power tubes), a thorough cleaning, and a 3 prong power cord later and its back up and running.

It gives me an amazing hi-fi Fender clean, but it has never had that warmth ever since then.

And lastly it has the stock 10" Fender Special Design speaker in it, the black one with a blue label sticker, so I don't think the speaker is super high efficiency at all. In fact I'm looking to change it too. I like the low efficiency but I feel like the speaker is going to explode if I crank it all the way up for any sustained period of time.

15. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Tele-Afflicted

I had one of those I got at the flea market back in the '70's for $50.00. New preamp tubes didn't help it, MXR 6 band EQ just barely got it to IT'74 levels of breakup. I think I took it to Pittsburgh and traded it for a pedal or something.

16. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The circuit lacks 1 gain stage, the reverb recovery gain stage of the PR

I would just hit it with a clean boost, BBE Boosta Grande really sounds superb into a blackface preamp

17. Superfuzz

Superfuzz TDPRI Member

Nice! I got mine in 2009 for $100. Someone didn't know what they had. Cost me $200 to fix it up so I am only invested $300 total. I love this little amp. It is very special to me and I will own it for the rest of my life without a doubt. I just want a little more out of it!

18. italo

italo Tele-Meister

If it is the AA964 circuit (silverface) a simple mod would be to lift the negative feedback loop. It´s a reversible mod. Just clip the wire going from the secondary of your Output transformer to the 2700 Ohm resistor. Tape the wire so it doesn´t touch anything. This should give the amp alot more agressive character. If you don´t like it just connect the wire back.

19. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

The amp is beautiful for what it is. The most edge I ever got from mine was with my Gibson 335 cranked. Humbuckers is the only way to even get close.

The way to do it is with a great boost pedal to actually push the amp. An overdrive pedal will surely get you there quick, but the sweet edge of break up I get is with my 335 and my DOD bi-fet pre amp clean boost pedal.

Unfortunately I had to let it go today, but this amp is great for what it is.

20. shinigami747

shinigami747 Tele-Holic

Hello Superfuzz,

I have a '64 Princeton NR.

Re: speaker suggestion. I'm running a Weber 12A125A with a Mojo 12" baffle. The stock Oxford and baffle are safely stashed away. A '68 might have a glued-on baffle, though.
    I think the Weber is a huge improvement over the stock speaker. Better bass response, less spiky highs when I go nuts on my Tele. More piano-like, I believe. Volume level is about the same.

Re: natural drive. I got zero drive on mine all the way to 10. I have to use a pedal to get any sort of drive.

My $0.02, IMHO, etc. :) I hope this helps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.