Get more bass from a Champ Clone?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Fullmoon07, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

I have a Champ Clone with a Weber Signature 8S alnico speaker. The tubes are Genalex.
    It does well with mids and highs but lacks lows. Are there ways to mod it to get more bass response?

2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Bigger speaker.

rich815 and Obelisk like this.
  3. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

Other than bigger speaker? How about a full range 8" ?

4. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

It's a lil hard to get much more bass from that little circuit/speaker combo... As Mike said if you can get a bigger speaker that's the easiest and probably the best way.

If your good with a soldering iron you could try changing the second coupling capacitor from the .022uf value to the good ole' Fender Deluxe value of .1uf. Might help but a bigger speaker is probably a better solution.

5. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Champs in a stock-sized cab with an 8-inch speaker (the only size that will fit in the stock dimensions) are inherently boxy sounding without much low end. It's the law of physics. However, an extension cab with a 12" speaker can really beef up a Champ (you can just unplug the internal speaker and use the amp like a head for the 12). Alternately, a larger custom cab that fits a 10" or 12" into which you transplant the chassis (no harm done as it's only held in the cab by a pair of bolts) is the option if you want to keep it as a combo.

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I'm always bemused by people who want 'more bass' from a Champ.

I've owned three, 68 drip, 76 SF and the Fender EC. All of them produce a balanced tonality through the stock alnico Jensen (68), ribbed Weber Sig (76) or smooth cone Weber Sig 5F1 EC.

When I micc'd these amps up, they sound like a big Fender. When recorded, there's numerous examples which demonstrate they sound good stock standard.

You aren't ever going to get big amp, gigging tone out of them.

They can be enormously improved with a proper service. There's not much power to play with so you can't afford to lose freq response.

Mike Simpson likes this.
  7. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

I have a Fender Rhodes plugged in for practice and it gets fine mid range and but no bass notes at all.

8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Turn it around and face it towards the back wall....instant bass boost.

Red Bread and H. Mac like this.
  9. Marky D.

Marky D. Tele-Holic

Try running an EQ pedal after your OD box if you use one - see Wampler's YouTube video on this- was a game changer for me- much increased tonal flexibility!

10. bumnote

bumnote TDPRI Member

I've got a Champ clone w/ a 8" Weber Alnico Blue Pup. I get a better low end with a neck pickup with scooped mids. Without a tone circuit, you're pretty much limited to what your pickups are putting out. My Strats with CS54's lack mids, so I get good low end from those as opposed to my other Teles and Strat that have a mid-60's tone to them when I use that amp.

There are two options I've got:
    1- Use an EQ pedal. I use a Boss GE7 with it sometimes.
    2- plug another speaker into it. All my amps are 8ohm, and from time to time I'll unplug the 12" Weber 12A125A
    from my Tweed Deluxe clone and plug that into the Champ.

11. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Wouldn't the WGS G8C with 18 ounce speaker get you there pretty cheaply? I'm hoping it will be as full sounding as indicated by many of the reviews I've read. I have one and had hoped to make a baffle this weekend to install in my cabinet, but didn't get it done.

12. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

12" closed back enclosure. But may move into bass players territory.

13. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's

22uF/25V bypass cap on V1a. This will increase overall gain too, if it isn't already fitted. Similar can be done to v1b, but may not be desirable. Make them switchable?. Warning : You may end up with the bass, but it'll likely be flub. Croc clip various caps in place until you find what you like?. My Champ-a-like has no bypass caps and I find the bass to be all I could wish for. It sits so beautifully.

Larger speaker. A 1x10", 2x10" or 1x12" cab can make a heck of a difference.

EQ pedal. Cheap, simple, effective.

Where do you find the bass to be missing?. A 1x8" close mic'd sounds glorious when recorded or lifted through a P.A. Perhaps less so on its own. Is this in a band context, recording or pleasure-noddling?

Which clone is it?, is it a PCB or turret/eyelet board?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.