Get a Champ as first practice amp?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Moxoftritonytes, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Moxoftritonytes

Moxoftritonytes TDPRI Member

Hi,
    I am looking for a decent little all tube practice amp with no more than 6 watts.
    I`ve been at my local music store where they have a simply great sounding original 1958 Fender Champ that they mainly use to demo jazz guitars. I was allowed to play a Fender Thinline Tele through it although I only know a few chords and blues scale positions. But this little amp just swept me off my feet for it has such a sweet sound. Unfortunately it isn`t for sale. So now I`m looking for something similar to it. I`m not experienced with electronics so I`m not able to build me one from a kit. Buying a vintage Champ off eBay bears too many risks for me, too. I`ve seen a Fender EC Vibro Champ at an online store but the price tag puts it out of reach for I`m not willing to spend more than 900$ on such a simple amp design and I also don`t need the vibro function. To get a Champalike
    I`m now looking for an amp builder who is building Champ clones but haven`t found one so far.
    If you have any ideas or suggestions that would be great.

Thanks in advance,
    Mox

2. Mr_Mer

Mr_Mer Tele-Holic

If you really want a practice amp, and a bit more, while saving some money have a look at the Mustang I or II (I use a II for practice). It might be more than 6w, but master volume is your friend.

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

4. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I own two, early 70's, Silverface, Champs.

You will not regret buying one.

You WILL need to have it checked-out.
    So long as the Power Supply Transformer is good, The rest (and there isn't very much in one) can be replaced.

6. PineBomb

PineBomb Tele-Holic

Did you try any other amps? I'm not saying it's the wrong choice, but I'm wondering if you've weighed your options. 900 USD opens the door to a lot of possibilities.

7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

There is a champ reissue, see if it sounds like what you enjoyed with the vintage amp.

Otherwise keep in mind that the "no more than 6 watts" seems to be an arbitrary distinction. There are plenty of really loud 5 watt amps out there like the Marshall Class 5 (whcih I believe is just a head now becuase the combo rattled too much, at least mine does) and the Epiphone Valve Jr. And most of those, without a master volume control, are simply too loud for practice at home. In fact, it's so hard to get a good amp to sound good at low volumes that -- perish the thought -- solid state modeling amps become an option for a practice amp.

Then there are hybrids like the cyber series - there's a champ model there, too.

8. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Get a Champ as first practice amp?

That's the easiest question I've heard all day!

For your budget it's definitely worth finding someone to build you a tweed champ, but also you probably won't have to look hard to find a Champ 600 (not quite the same, but still a really cool practice amp.)

9. StraightNeck

StraightNeck Tele-Holic

:cool:

10. Moxoftritonytes

Thanks for your advice. I`ve finally found someone who builds Tweed Champ Clones based on the 5F1 circuit and ordered an amp there. It cost me about 450$ and has a Weber 8" S Alnico speaker built in, whatever that means. In two to three days I get the amp and I hope it isn`t a lemon.

11. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

A Champ could well be your first and last practice amp. My first amp was a silverface, and I had a 67 that I sold back to the guy I bought it from for his son, and replaced it with a '65 that is outstanding. The tweed style are warmer and break up more and are great too.
    I just saw a silverface go on ebay for 300+ shipping, and there are a couple black faces and one transitional tweed circuit with black tolex which looks awesome up for auction right now.

12. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

5F1's are a killer amp, and the Weber Alnico Signature speakers are a great speaker for them. The 5F1, although its only 5 watts, its a loud 5 watts even with an 8" speaker in it. My 5F1 has a Weber Alnico Signature 6 in it and it gets turned up to about 2. You will not be disappointed in the sound coming out of it, thats for sure.

Who's the builder? When it comes to TDPRI Muchxs and Boothill are pretty much the go-to guys in the Fender world. Boothill is who turned my Champ 600 chassis into a 5F1, did a good job and was quick.

13. Moxoftritonytes

The amp came today and was delivered in a huge box filled with styrofoam. The tubes were in a separate box and I had to put them into their ceramic sockets first before I could operate the amp for the first time. It is dead quiet and just oozes tone! So definitely no lemon. It looks good and sounds simply great.
    It was built by Mr. Weinhold from Wuerzburg, Germany.
    He did a terrific job on this cute little soundmonster. For me it`s a keeper because it offers such a big sound, especially when cranked up. And a really nice clean tone with the guitar`s volume knob rolled back. If I ever need more than a bluesy tone I`ll put an fx box in front of it. It sounds so warm and nice that I`m currently running my mp3-player over it. This tweed amp`s sound reminds me a lot of the old tube radio that I once had and used to listen to as a kid. :cool:

14. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Congrats pics or it didnt happen!

15. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Mark Moser from Frugal Amps can build you a KILLER AMP within your budget.
    www.frugalamps.com

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

16. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

One word for a builder.....muchxs. He did me a 5f1 with an alnico 6x9 that does everything from Neil Young to AC/DC.

17. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Congratulations on your Champ. Boot Hill Amps (hackworth01 here in TDPRI) built mine and it's amazing. I've been using it with my (loud) praise band recently. I mic it through the PA. When dialed to 12, it gives sweet overdrive. I love it.

I bet you'll love yours, too.

p.s. need pictures

18. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Congrats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.