1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

German lefty and trying to buy a telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Schaine, May 3, 2017.

1. Schaine

Schaine TDPRI Member

Hello everyone,
    ive finally decided its time for my first tele. I am lefthanded and i live in Germany, which kind of changes the options up quite a bit. I basically have the choice between these 3 guitars:

A Squire Classic Vibe for around 450€
    A MIM Std Tele for about 600€
    A MIJ Classic 50s Telecaster for 999€

I don't really have a budget, i work part time next to my studies, so its just a matter of time. I could get a CV after 2-3 months or wait longer for the MIJ. There is also an American Tele for 1.600€, but thats a bit too much to be honest.

I have heard a lot of praise for the Squire CV, but its not nearly as cheap in Germany as it is in the US, and im not sure if its still the best bang for the buck. I do prefer thinner necks, but i heard the CVs neck is too thin, so it actually doesnt even stay in tune?

If your options were limited to my options, with the given prices, what would you advise me? A MIM Std and a pickup upgrade? Or is the MIJ one worth the bigger price tag/longer wait until i have the money together? Being a lefty, i cant go to a store to try them out, because every local store i know has one or two lefty guitars in the entire store. None of them teles.

I do play guitar pretty seriously, so I need another quality guitar that can be played live etc. Thats why im hesitant to go for the Squire. Ive had cheapo guitars before, and it wasn't nearly as inspiring to play on them.

Any advice would help me greatly!

Schaine

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Nubs likes this.
  2. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

If there is no budget, get the MIJ. Overall the build quality is better than a Squier or the MIM. Now I'm not saying they are junk...far from it. CVs and MIMs are very nice guitars. But if there is the option, I would go for the MIJ. You'll be happy you did.

Good luck & keep us updated to your decision!

3. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

A MIM Standard for 600€ is a damn good price--they've gotten a lot more expensive over the past year or so. That's comparable or better than new U.S. prices. Are you talking new? I suspect not.

I don't think you're going to find much added value in a MIJ for 1,000€, and I'll assume that's definitely used.

The Squier CVs are usually fantastic, but I promise you, that Squier logo is going to annoy you, and you're going to want a Fender branded eventually.

Good luck!!!

4. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I just remembered that you're a lefty, so all bets are off. You lefties frighten me.

Like both my sons, 25 and 21, who are both lefties that come from normal right-handed people like my wife and I.

Honest Charley likes this.
  5. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

rubbish.
    CV necks are on the thinner side and as you say, that's what you like. good.

absolutely gig worthy.

TigerG likes this.
  6. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

The CV neck on my partscaster is really nice, I like it a lot. And this is coming from someone who generally likes BIG necks. Not that the CV neck is big, but it is comfortable. I would say I prefer it to the MIM Teles I have played. And as far as MIJ goes, I've never been the least bit taken by any lefty MIJ Tele I've come across. Maybe it's just me, cuz they get a lot of love around here. I remember when they first started showing up in the late '80's. They never inspired me to feel like I needed to buy one, even though I hadn't owned a Tele yet and had always wanted one. Then I crossed paths with a Korean-made Tokai Breezysound and that thing knocked my socks off. The CV neck reminds me of that guitar.

A word in favor of the MIM: I play bass a couple times a month with a guitarist who always sounds best to me when he's got his MIM Tele (as opposed to an Epi Dot, and Epi Les Paul, a Parker Fly and any number of custom Strats crafted by our drummer).

tonyj likes this.
  7. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Holic

Ein Deutsche Lefty! - Was sagt Frau Merkel?

If you have to place an order and are buying sight unseen, then my only comment is that MIJ Fenders are consistent in their craftsmanship. MIM may not be.

8. Cheecharron

Cheecharron TDPRI Member

As a lefty myself, I've taken notice of a beautiful Ron Kirn tele for sale on Reverb (https://reverb.com/item/4664174-left-handed-ron-kirn-signature-t-style-2016-daphne-blue). If I wasn't already selling two guitars (a Gretsch Anni and a righty-strung-lefty MIJ 68 reissue Fender strat, in case you have any interest), I'd be sorely tempted to buy it myself. In fact, I saw this guitar previously go unsold for $1000 on eBay, so I imagine you could get it for that.

The seller indicates that he won't ship outside the US, but there might be a member here willing to serve as a middle man. Just looking out for a fellow lefty...

Nubs likes this.
  9. bruceolee

bruceolee TDPRI Member

For the price I'd go MIM and have enough money left over for a pedal or a cheap amp. MIM, in terms of quality is really good right now and only seems to be getting better. When properly setup it's hard to tell the difference between a MIM and MIA guitar from Fender. It's just a shame they don't make Baja Tele's for Lefty's

8barlouie likes this.
  10. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Never played a lefty but have been very impressed with all the MIM Teles I've played. Certainly for a difference of 150 I'd get that over the Squier (nothing against Squiers, BTW) but I'd say the MIM is worth the extra.

As stated above re prices, lefty=all bets off.

tele12 likes this.
  11. Schaine

Schaine TDPRI Member

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! The prices are all new, remember that the Euro doesnt translate 1:1 to Dollars. So the MIJ is around 1100 dollars after conversion.

You have almost sold me on getting the MIM Tele. If only it was available in butterscotch blonde :) But, sound matters more than looks ofcourse.

Even though i usually hate buying by brand name, i have to agree that the squire logo is a limiting factor of the CV.

12. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Don't forget you could also look out for a second hand Am Standard, for roughly the same price. Good luck with it. I am guessing the amount of $1,600 is for the new Am. Professional. Nothing wrong with them, they are very good going by recent reviews.

Nothing wrong with the Squire CV50, very good value, have one myself.

Some silly right handed comments on this thread as usual.

Nubs likes this.
  13. Schaine

Schaine TDPRI Member

Well, i guess its fine since right handed guitars are really strange to me too, so no sweat :D But there is the problem with us lefties. We statistically have about 1/7th the chance to get a used guitar. Right now, not a single lefty tele is on eBay over here... Yay

Lefty Addams likes this.
  14. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

Jack Pearson doesn't let it bother him, and he's among the most revered guitarists here in Nashville.

[​IMG]

15. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Don't let stats and stuff worry you, they are out there, you just have to find them. We are not afforded the luxury of relentless choice as right handers but that doesn't mean you can't get what you want within reason.

8barlouie and Nubs like this.
  16. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Not sure whether you're locked in to getting a Fender but you should also take a look at G&L. Their ASAT, in my experience, is at least as good. They have a Tribute line that is on the lower end but I've heard good things about them also. You could probably get a good deal on a US built one second hand from Ebay or Reverb.

Nubs and Lefty Addams like this.
  17. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

No way is the MIJ worth as much as the CV and the MIM combined. At your prices I would go for the MIM.
    The MIJ will also have vintage frets and radius, the CV and Mex will have medium jumbos an a 9 1/2" radius.

18. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

I'm a lefty Tele player.
    For the last ten years I played a Stratocaster,but last year wanted to go back to a Tele.
    I tried a MIM, a CV tele. a 64 Fender RI and an American Standard.
    The CV Tele,was amazing and I actually liked it better than the 64RI and MIM.
    The American Standard won out for me.
    I liked the Twisted Tele/Broadcaster pickup combo among other things
    I think another real looker is the MIJ 62 double bound RI.
    I'd grab one of those if it came up for a decent price.
    Take your time and don't settle for less than meets your requirements.

19. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

If they still do Arctic White that looks excellent in my opinion.

20. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

Im a lefty tele gie (see pix) ive had 3 classic vibe butterscotch! Yes theres alot to hate- thick urothane finish, smallish frets, but slap a wilkinson compensated bridge on one: get a PRO SET-UP, their worth the $ & the wait!!

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.