1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

george/ paul relationship.Not so good

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LeftyAl, Mar 4, 2015.

1. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've always wanted my heroes to be heroic. Still do. Rarely if ever do they turn out to be that way. Most just have handlers good enough to keep them from effing up in public too often.

2. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

:confused:This is absurd...unless anybody here has hung out with any of the Beales to the point of having their phone number in your rolodex to call anytime you want, then any opinion of any of us have of them is pointless! We don't Know [email protected]##$$t about any of their personal lives or what they were really like as the boy next door. I just really like their music and i'm grateful to have it to listen to......they re still considered the bar of excellence in my world.

cheers all
    ce24

3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe they had a falling-out?
    Who knows? I wasn't there!

Outside looking in, it does seem a bit odd. But it isn't for me to Judge.

4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What made them Heroic to me, was the lengths they went to, to show that they weren't perfect.

Even when 99% of their interviews were left on the cutting-room floor so a 20-second sound-bite could be shown (and castigated) on the News.

5. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I couldn't have put it any better.

6. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

All spiritual people are imperfect. that's the reason
    behind them needing the higher power.

Being the "spiritual Beatle" doesn't mean you are God,
    just that you are seeking that realm of possibilities through
    ancient manuscripts and practices.

George was a horndog, who's gonna cast the first stone?
    Not me.

7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Did Paul go to George's funeral?

8. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

There's the old saying about how a spiritual man isn't afraid of hell because he's been there...and everything has a price...all the fame and adoration and lauding and the second Ric 360-12 ever made would have to take a toll on a guy....

Every highly successful person Ive know...had a side where they weren't nice people...and George was always the "serious Beatle" in the fan magazine hype...and if one wasn't totally grounded...and who was back then?....the hype would eat your heart and soul....

Everybody has feet of clay....

9. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

I have six siblings, since I'm never going to make it in music... If I hit the lottery, there are siblings I could not give money to because it would ruin them.

10. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

That was long ago. Over time, old wounds can heal, or not.

According to Paul, he spoke to George a few weeks before his death.

11. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Spot on. They underwent a unique (at the time) transformation. The only other person I can think of who was subject to that level of media's obsessive gaze was Elvis, and compared to his example they did pretty well.

12. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

George's money is what ensured the Python's were able to make Life Of Brian. For that I'm grateful the Beatles made him rich enough. I'm happy his big gamble paid off. He mortgaged most of his property to make it happen.

It's his business who he gave money too. End of story. My brother in law is worth about $25m. I wouldn't dream of asking for some. That would be douchy.

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Four of the most influential musicians who did more than create great music-
    that effectively changed our history- although that was part of life in the 60's.
    They were catalysts to change at that time.
    Sad that genius sometimes alters personal judgements. They all had great
    egoes and did not blend well as humans. BS to "loving each other".
    If they had endured/lived they might have been more intelligent or kind to
    themselves and humanity.

14. majorbugout

majorbugout Tele-Meister

Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.

15. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

money isn't evil- what it makes people do to each other is evil

these guys came from humble beginnings- I'm sure they were very suspicious of people and their motives for wanting to get close to them. Show business is a dirty game- the music biz is even worse- so I've heard.

oh just leave them alone! we'll never appreciate or understand what they went through.
    I traveled around with a band for a year and at the end of it some of us were ready to kill each other.

16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

OP ..please get over it, with respect........ Wah! Wah!.... geez.:rolleyes:... it is what is...they are who they were....then... :lol:

All things must pass... take a hint from George,,,,if you can....:twisted:

he got over it....:lol:

17. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Anyone who's been in bands for any length of time - and I would imagine that includes most of us around here - can attest to all of the nightmarish arguments and petty squabbles that happen in that environment, even among friends. I've seen people that I thought I knew well act so crazy that I can't believe it was them. Over nothing. And that was just in local, small-time bands. Now add tons of money and unimaginable fame into the equation - even the Mahatma Gandhi/Mother Theresa Duo would be at each others' throats. I think the Beatles actually held onto themselves better than most.

18. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I think it's silly to say that we can't make informed judgments about their character, given the wealth of info that's out there. That said, theirs is a unique experience among unique experiences. It's like they stormed the beaches of Normandy alone... and found aliens at the top of the cliffs.

As for their friendship, there's a telling moment in "The Beatles Anthology," where George is talking about their threadbare tours in the early days, with Mal driving the van in a brutal British winter. To keep warm, the boys stacked themselves on top of each other in the back. "That's how close that band was," said George.

19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, but I bet George was on the bottom.

20. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

The story his sister tells is he set her up with a small monthly amount of money to live the rest of her life on in 1980. And it wasn't much. When he died he never stated in his will that it should continue and his wife and son stopped paying it.

Here's the complete news article.

This was on the local news here a while ago and I was fascinated by the story. She moved here in the early 60's with her husband before all the Beatles stuff hit. She was the first one to get them played on the radio here in the U.S. according to the article. Seems like she did a lot for him during those years from what I read and I had never heard about her until I saw the local news TV show.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.