1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

George Harrison

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Peter77, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

He kind of looked more healthy at the very end than at that Beatles reunion I think. Strange

Attached Files:

2. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

Attached Files:

3. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

4. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

I didn't go back to the beginning of this thread, so I don't know if this has been posted already, but Harrison's successors are working on a "De-Spectorized" version of the All Things Must Pass album for release in 2021, and uploaded the title song to YouTube on Thursday. This is so eerie to listen to; George's voice sounds much more naked and vulnerable when it's upfront in the mix and not smothered in reverb:

I purchased the original LP box set in the mid-'70s, and a two CD import set a decade later, the latter sounds a bit woolly and low-fi, but I still listen to it all the time since the songs are so brilliant. I'll be really interested in hearing more from the new remix.

5. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Saw the '74 tour in Denver, it was an unforgettable night. This is a big favorite from his last album Brainwashed which Dhani and Jeff Lynne finished off after George was gone.

6. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

While my microphone gently turns...

And a bunch of nobodies in the stage.

I love this one:

Yet again odd people noodling around.

The first solo is almost 100% accurate, but the second solo, well... GH loved great solos, so it’s nice way to end a song.

Too bad that so many of the guys in those videos are gone.

7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

And then it was stolen and wound up in Mexico, and George had to buy it back - with an assist from Norm Harris.

Giving or receiving an instrument as a gift seems almost sacred to Harrison, and he frequently gave away guitars to his close friends as a token of friendship. In the same way, Harrison held in high esteem the the gift that Eric Clapton had given him - his Gibson "Lucy" Les Paul. It was obviously more than just another guitar. So it was particularly shocking to Harrison when in the early 1970s his beloved Les Paul was stolen. "It got kidnapped and taken to Guadalajara," he explained later. "I had to buy this Mexican guy a Les Paul to get it back."

To help him find Lucy, Harrison enlisted the help of musician Mark Havey, who at the time - around 1973 - was living in California, but had also lived in Mexico. "I had a musician friend , Miguel Ochoa, who came up from Mexico to buy some instruments ," Havey remembers. "He walked into a Guitar Center store in Hollywood and saw hanging on the wall a cherry-red Les Paul, which he bought for $650."

The only similar guitar Ochoa had seen was pictured on the inside cover of Let It Be. He gave the store Havey's address and phone number for the receipt. The following day the guitar store called Havey, asking for Ochoa. They told Havey that they owed his friend some money because they had overcharged for the Les Paul.

"I said that didn't sound very likely," recalls Havey. "So then the store explained to me that Miguel had bought a guitar that they had only recently acquired, and by law they were supposed to keep it for 30 days to see if it clears any 'hot' stolen-property lists. 'As is turns out' they said to me, 'the guitar belongs to George Harrison. So we're in deep **** here.'"
    Thinking that this must be some kind of joke, Havey told the store that if the guitar really belonged to Harrison, the ought to have the Beatle guitarist call him and sort it out.

"About 30 minutes later the phone rang," says Havey, "and a nice gentleman with a very British accent said, 'This is George Harrison.' He told me the guitar had been stolen from under his bed over the holiday. His home in Beverly Hills had been burglarised, and among other things that were taken was the cherry-red Les Paul. So I called my friend Tony Baker, and we met with George." Harrison explained to them that the guitar wasn't really his - it belonged to Eric Clapton and was definitely on loan to him. "So he had to get the guitar back. He asked if we could help get it back from Miguel. We said sure."

Havey then spoke to Ochoa, who was somewhat surprised by the news. He said he needed some time to think. "We grew up learning how to play Beatle stuff, and this was George Harrison's guitar!" says Havey. "So Miguel gets off the phone and we don't hear from him for two days. In the meantime, we're in constant contact with George, who wants to know what's going on. We told him what was happening, and he thought it didn't sound very good. George said that he wouldn't have a problem pay Miguel at least what he paid for the guitar so that he wouldn't be out on any money."

Two days later Ochoa called Havey and said that he might want to keep the guitar - and promptly went back home with it to Guadalajara, Mexico. Be this time Harrison was, understandably, growing impatient. He asked Havey to contact his friend and find out what he wanted to return the guitar. Eventually, says Havey, Ochoa came up with some requirements.

"He proceeded to give us a wish list," Havey remembers, itemising a couple of desirable and expensive collector's items. "He wanted a 1958 sunburst Les Paul, an early Fender Precision Bass, and about four other instruments. We told him that he was being totally unreasonable and that he should consider the reality of the situation. Se we got him down to a guitar and a bass. We told this to George, and we all got together to go looking for a '58 sunburst Les Paul. What was interesting was that every time we went into a store they would quickly pull off all the guitars' price-tags once they realised it was George Harrison.

This went on for a week. Eventually, we found a guy called Norm Harris who had the right guitar. It was bought, and George flew my friend Tony and I down to Mexico. We made the trade : the guitar and bass for a cherry-red Les Paul. Then we came back and gave it to George."

And all for the love of a guitar. This demonstrates how once more that Harrison was the true guitar fan among the Beatles - and indicates just how much certain instruments came to mean to him.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  8. Twin52

Twin52 Tele-Meister

First album purchase of my life was Rubber Soul at the Giant Food Store in MD.

9. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Don't forget that whole amalgamation of folks backed Eric on his first solo album, including Leon Russell, Bobby Keys, Bobby Whitlock, Jim Gordon, and Carl Radle (who were his Derek and the Dominoes bandmates), and Rita Coolidge, with the addition of Steve Stills.
    And, many of them also were featured in Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen band, where Leon played keys and lead guitar.

10. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

They seem to have a lot of fun in that 74 tour

Old Plank likes this.
  11. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

Yes he did really go a long way to get back that les Paul guitar

12. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

I heard another version of this That is not that favourable for Prince. He did not get into Rolling Stone magazine top 100 best guitar playing list that year and decided to do this solo to prove he was a good guitarist. Quite unrespectable I think. If he wanted to prove something he could have proved it in his own concerts. The Strat Guy gets it down perfectly.

13. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

I prefer this version Anyway

14. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

Well, it all depends on point of view.

Prince was inducted at that same happening to hall of fame. And if you look how the director keeps Prince hiding in shadows during ”proper” song, that Dhani’s smile seconds before Prince’s solo, and the way Tom Petty and Prince had a blast bending down together, I dare to say that was all planned and thus approved solo.

My 2 eurocents :)

Fiesta Red likes this.
  15. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

It seems that he prefered maple necks. On most of the pictures he plays strats with maple fingerboards. So it's strange that many associate him with the rosewood tele

16. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

On the Hard Days Night soundtrack he did Happy Just To Dance With You which is credited to Lennon & McCartney, it was basically a John song written for George to do in the movie.

17. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

It has aspects of a Byrdland and an ES350. I like to see the label in the F hole, if it has one.

18. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Holic

Always loved his songs and his playing. Today, 29th November, is the anniversary of George's passing.

Broadmoor74 likes this.
  19. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

Yes he only had it for 11 months before giving it to Delany Bramlet but it might be that famous roof concert that people remember or the video to Let it be

20. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

I have to say this is not really fair to George as he usually had 2 songs per LP and 3 on Revolver 4 on the white Album but Thats a double. Interstingly he never got cred for writing 2 lines to ” Come Together ”
    Could have said Lennon/ Harrison

gmann likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.