George Harrison playing a CBS Stratocaster

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Holic
Wound up looking for some photos, and whattaya know! George posing with a sunburst Strat with the infamous enlarged headstock.

0F165175-60DE-404C-ABC3-3F5B697DB2A6.jpeg
CC4EA324-3A2D-40AD-8314-74746007A0E3.jpeg

Anybody got info regarding this Strat? Given it is a CBS Strat, this had to have been made during the “F” series of Fender. My guess is that this Strat was made between 1968 and 1973.
As we all know, George owned about 50 to 100 Strats, including his Rocky Strat, a Squier Stratocaster that he used when he toured Japan in the nineties, and I’m pretty sure he also owned a 57 Strat.

Im sure this is in Dhani’s possession, but who knows.

John C

Friend of Leo's
Terrible photos to try to track what it is from, but I think this is a Squier JV 1957 model - it looks like there is something under the "Stratocaster" part of the decal, and some of the Squier JV models had a decal that had a small "Fender" logo under the "Stratocaster" logo.

I found this one through a google search; it is in the sold listings from a shop up in Canada:

fender-jv-squier-strat-burst-1982-cons-full-front-1-a.jpg-nggid0525723-ngg0dyn-845x0x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
I had a Warmoth neck made for my Strat-- 50s Gibson neck shape, SS frets, with the CBS headstock. Call me weird, but I personally like the bigger CBS style headstock on Strats. If nothing else it gives lots of real estate to put a clip-on tuner on there. I typically use clip on tuners when at home. At gigs I use my pedalboard, which has a Boss tuner on it.

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Wound up looking for some photos, and whattaya know! George posing with a sunburst Strat with the infamous enlarged headstock.

View attachment 990259 View attachment 990260
Anybody got info regarding this Strat? Given it is a CBS Strat, this had to have been made during the “F” series of Fender. My guess is that this Strat was made between 1968 and 1973.
As we all know, George owned about 50 to 100 Strats, including his Rocky Strat, a Squier Stratocaster that he used when he toured Japan in the nineties, and I’m pretty sure he also owned a 57 Strat.

Im sure this is in Dhani’s possession, but who knows.
That's a Squier version.

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
Regardless of the Strat in question it is one of my duties to always mention that the big headstock is the better headstock and I will die on that hill.

Attached is an obligatory lineup of three gorgeous headstocks. Bighead Strat, Clef G&L, Mustang.
IMG_20220326_205918671.jpg

John C

Friend of Leo's
Harrison playing a Squier Strat? He could afford anything. Very cool.

Those were the MIJ Japanese Vintage Squiers - they were sold as "Fender" brand in Japan and "Squier" brand in most of the rest of the world (and not sold in the USA at all). Conscious decision by CBS/Fender to not sell MIJ instruments under the "Fender" brand anywhere but the Japan home market for a couple of years there in the early 1980s before they started shipping them under the "Fender" brand.

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
That's why players started referring to the Strat as an AXE. ;)
For a lot of guys my age, if our guitar heroes played a Strat it had a big headstock.if they played a Strat at all. Our dads' heroes played small headstock Strats.

Last edited: