1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

George Harrison - My Sweet Lord

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by HotRodSteve, May 31, 2020.

1. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I always really liked this song , dont get me wrong I'm not devout, But Harrison had a way of writing that I appreciated more than the rest of the band any of his contributions were outstanding.

Old Plank, Bob Mc, Bassman8 and 2 others like this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I attended a lutheran college. I am not lutheran... but, they are awesome people.... in the "I am third" days of the 70's this girl wanted to perform this song and we got a band together... lets just say, after she was done with her part, we did the outro and she was pretty freaked out... my sense of humor and justice or 'completism' took over and we went on and on with it...

I love Geo. When I play or here 'give me love' it makes me think of riding home from the beach in junior high and high school and being super glad to be alive....

4. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

My best friend died a few years ago, he loved this song, he was not religerous, I can't figure it out.

5. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

Isn't it a pity that he had to pass so young.

Such a colossal talent.

6. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Is a pity he copied the song from a really good one

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Anything I hear from George’s ATMP masterpiece reminds me of Christmas.
    I got the album for Christmas 1970.
    George had soul.
    RIP, and thanks, brother.

8. Ploppy

Ploppy TDPRI Member

Fantastic song, one of my all time favourites.

Old Plank, Chiogtr4x and Verne Bunsen like this.
  9. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Love his slide playing, such a unique voice. Such great melodic choices.

Yeah, he got sued. The only person to inadvertently borrow a sequence of notes? Maybe, just maybe not...

10. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

Words matter in law. The judge in the case said "plagiarized" which is different than copying in a copyright sense. I can "plagiarize" all day and my academic reputation will stand as long as I duly cite those sources from whom I have plagiarized.

As a result the My Sweet Lord case is a copyright outlyer; I don't think I've seen it referenced substantively in any major copyright case since. In part this probably has something to do with the major revamp to copyright law that occured in 1976.

I've always thought that Harrison had substandard legal representation in that case and the outcome would have been different for him with decent lawyers.

I've also always wondered how Phil Spector got a pass on this one as I believe he was producer on both songs.

But above all, He's So Fine is just another OK early 60s pop number. My Sweet Lord is epic. That fact means ipso facto that Harrison couldn't have infringed HSF substantially, as the law requires, in my view.

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

nice rip-off

Lawdawg likes this.
  12. big jimmy

big jimmy Tele-Afflicted

"nice rip-of"

It's ok I still like both songs.

13. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

Plagiarize: taking the work or an idea of someone else and passing it off as one's own. That is, stealing.

Show me an academic who has admitted plagiarism openly and proudly. To cite sources is precisely how not to plagiarize. You most certainly cannot survive in academia is you admit to plagiarism.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Me and my ProTools buddy ( he doesn't gig anymore but can play any rock instruments and sing- Beatles nut!) had fun a few years ago recording " My Sweet Lord" a wonderful song,
    in his apartment
    This also shows the complete contrast between the two of us : He is a ' spend time in the studio' perfectionist, and I'm a live performer- I have a 3 hour max. tolerance ( in one sitting) doing any recording .
    Anyway I always wanted to try out " My Sweet Lord" so in just one afternoon, I :

-played two acoustic guitar tracks ( Thin pick, on Martin D, for that 'thwack'!)
    - double tracked the lead vocal, just to thicken things up a bit
    - recorded the 2 unison, then harmonized slide guitar parts on my Strat- that was fun, but work!

The real genius is what my buddy did on the song ( over a few weeks, a lot of time put in between his real job):
    - added 3 or 4 additional rhythm acoustic guitars
    -played bass
    - played keyboard ( 'B3 organ' and piano)
    - used 'real drum kit' samples to tap out drums
    - played Tambourine
    - sang all background vocals, to an almost choir buildup

I think we came up with a heck of a cover- just think it's funny what I did vs. My buddy!
    ( * have MSL on file, but don't know how to upload)

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  15. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

It was a weird case. 'He's So Fine' was written by a friend of the Chiffons who set himself up as their manager. To get the song recorded, he gave the rights to Bright Music, the publishing company owned by the group The Tokens ('The Lion Sleeps Tonight'). The Tokens are playing the instruments on 'He's So Fine'.

Bright Music sued Harrison for copyright infringement in the early 70s. By the time the case came to trial, the company had been sold to Allen Klein, Harrison's former manager. The case was eventually settled by Harrison agreeing to buy Bright Music from Klein for $587,000, the amount Klein paid in the first place.

Another chapter in the convoluted business dealings of Allen Klein. George's 1976 song 'This Song' is about the trial. One lyric goes "This song/Has nothing Bright about it".

Phil Spector was not involved with the Chiffons' version.

Uncle Bob and Old Plank like this.
  16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yeah it's really a shame that the kazillionaire beetle couldn't afford better representation to defend his plagiarism against a dead black songwriter (Ronnie Mack) :rolleyes:

gregj1964 and stnmtthw like this.
  17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

"He's So Fine" is one of the best songs from the girl group era...it's a classic! In my opinion...

stnmtthw, Lawdawg and blowtorch like this.
  18. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nothing to figure out. Great song. I listen to an awful lot of Gospel and Christmas music despite being a non-believer.

2HBStrat and Old Plank like this.
  19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

CV50.png

Jim622, Uncle Bob, fattboyzz and 4 others like this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The lawsuit was in 1971, people, almost 50 years ago. I'd like to think all things must pass. And then, Oh Happy Day!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.