Geo Harrison's Rocky strat $25k

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Deeve, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

https://www.premierguitar.com/artic...ster-built-george-harrison-rocky-stratocaster

At $25,000, The “Rocky” Stratocaster is an iconic addition to any collection. Each and every Limited Edition George Harrison Rocky Strat® comes complete with vintage 1961 hand-wound pickups by Abigail Ybarra, a Fender legend who was winding pickups at the time George Harrison’s original Stratocaster was produced. The replicated dayglo details from George Harrison and pickups emulating the same tones of the original, make this guitar a true work of art. Other notable specifications include: 21 vintage-style frets, chrome hardware, a 6-saddle vintage-style synchronized tremolo, nitrocellulose lacquer finish, a 2-piece select Alder body and a rare 5A Flame Maple neck with a 1960 Oval “C” shape and 7.25” (194.1 mm) radius.

The Fender Custom Shop Limited Artist series celebrates the storied guitars of legendary musicians by building recreations of their instruments in exacting detail. Based on close examination of the original guitars, every nuance is noted and incorporated into the build. Reverse-engineering the model, vintage, wood, hardware, electronics, finish and player customizations are all vital to the process. Most importantly, the player’s wear patterns are recorded: every nick, scratch, gouge and bump are vital to the authenticity of the recreation–they are mapped and documented with precision.

The Fender Custom Shop is proud to include the Rocky Stratocaster in the Dream Factory Series, a collection of short documentaries that showcase the journey of custom-built guitars created at the Fender Custom Shop.

41144 likes this.
  2. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

$25k. Har.

xtelesquirex, Gevalt and nojazzhere like this.
  3. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

rison.

djh22, Catawompus, StrangerNY and 8 others like this.
  4. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

Couldn't you buy a real '61 Strat for that? It might not be pristine but it wouldn't be as fugly.

JJLC, xtelesquirex, Gevalt and 4 others like this.
  5. RavageTheEarth

RavageTheEarth TDPRI Member

Ummmmm...

No thanks!!

6. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't see it. Id like to see how many are sold.

spurgie79 likes this.
  7. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nope.

8. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Sorry, I LOVE Harrison...but it's one of the dumbest paintjobs I've ever seen on a guitar.
    Acid will do that to you.:D

9. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

I think this is for the rich baby boomers with an unhealthy Beatles obsession or collectors that want to try to flip it in 20+ years. Like others, I just don't see the market for it. Dani Harrison, Clapton, Paul and Ringo will no doubt get one but Dani would be the only one to actually use it. Clapton would probably auction his, Paul and Ringo would probably put them away somewhere in storage. So who is going to buy one?!

Sidney Vicious, nojazzhere and Jim622 like this.
  10. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

Like printing money...

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I dont get why guitar manufacturers do this ,Harrison's rocky, gilmour's black strat, Page's dragon tele, Page's mirror tele, Clapton's 335 etc .
    any instrument is only as good as its driver , so why pay extra to cosplay a rockstar? there is only one instrument worth owning and that is the original after that its all cosplay. I spend my money on a good teacher or turn on youtube and start learning new things and I'ld be 25 K richer and a better player ( I think)

JMHO

djh22, Toadtele, Henley and 2 others like this.
  12. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

I'd only want the original one and I didn't know George well enough for him to have given it to me.

Good luck, Fender.

13. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Now.... let me see... where did I put that 25K I don't know what to do with.... hmmmmm ;)

gregulator450 likes this.
  14. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

there is always this........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_(guitar)

15. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

I can see the Clapton sig for the electronics. I like the huge neck on the SRV. These are $1650 currently...but the exact reproductions I don't get...at all...not slamming them. No problem with relics or road worn guitars but I have no idea who the market is for these. Does it lose value if you play it and add another scratch?!

24 track likes this.
  16. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Didn’t Abigail retire?

Do they bring her back for special runs?

Steve Holt likes this.
  17. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

This is a real public relations coup for the great minds at Fender. When half the country is out of work or have had their hours cut, and are struggling to pay the rent and put food on the table, some marketing genius said "Let's release another guitar that only the 1% can afford". Bravo Fender. I'm sure George would be quite proud.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Bassman8, Gevalt, Brendan and 4 others like this.
  18. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

I thought that was kind of a low price for the original. Foolish me. I wouldn't pay a new car price for anything i couldn't drive. But I'm clearly not the demographic their going for.

Sidney Vicious likes this.
  19. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They’ll sell it out. Not to anybody I know. But we’ve all seen it before. Beatles fans are weirdos. And enough of them have pockets deep enough to wipe out this run. In another twenty years? Nope. They’ll mostly be dead. But at this point there are definitely enough affluent, beatle nut, baby boomers left to take care of this batch.

djh22, Mike Eskimo, gmann and 5 others like this.
  20. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

a little thought from thunderbyrdland: i have a parts strat that had Abigail Ybarra p-ups. i traded it back to the guy who built it. then later on, i traded it back from him. he had changed out the p-ups - it sounds much better now. In My Humble Opinion. i don't know what's in it now, but it for sure sounds better to me.

but, yeah, fender will sell every single one of these they make. but not to me.

edit: i think the alnico V pickups in the present Player Series strats sound better than the Ybarra pickups.

Gevalt and JRapp like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.