1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Genz Benz Black Pearl Pirate's Den

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by ruger9, Oct 22, 2009.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

man that will be a serious live rig! One set to a thicker marshall tone and the other Fender Super. Nice n

2. Moose212

Moose212 TDPRI Member

Hi ruger9, I know this is going back a while, but do you remember whether GB recommended you replace the fuses with 1.5A or 2.5A fuses? Thanks so much in advance, and for all the help!

3. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm sorry, I really don't remember. Reading my posts above, I'm surprised that I listed 2 different values. Let me see if I still have them in my drawer...

I miss that amp. I miss very few pieces of gear, but that is one I miss. Great amp. I've got a Bad Cat Hot Cat now, which is very similar.... but I have always said the BP30 was a poor man's Bad Cat, and now that I own a Bad Cat, I stand by that statement.

4. ruger9

Sorry... I looked, but I can't determine whether it was 1.5 or 2.5, apologies for listing 2 different values in the thread. I'd play it safe and go with 1.5

5. Moose212

Moose212 TDPRI Member

No worries, thanks so much for getting back to me! I'll stick with 1.5A, and I'll update the thread if I ever find out anything different.

If you're curious, I asked because I finally got to play a Matchless DC-30, and after playing it for a few minutes thought "this is worse than my BP30", so I'm finally doing what I've been thinking about doing for a couple months and putting together something like a user guide for the BP30 based mostly on this thread and the TGP "Posse" thread. I originally wanted to do it to see if there were ways I could get a little more out of the amp, but I'll post it at some point in case it helps people. You may be shocked to hear that you're the most voluminous contributor of posts with helpful information in them, and it's not close... I made a database of information on the amp organized by post ID and topic, and depending how you count the entries you're responsible for ~20-25% of forum contributions, with the next most prolific person at 5-6% (again, depending how you measure). So thanks!

Whenever I get it done I'll post it + a cliff notes version and if you want you can tell me all the things I got wrong. Thanks again!

ruger9 likes this.
  6. ruger9

That sounds great! Looking forward to it! I also, over the years, have emailed many people the pdf of the BP30 owner's manual, I guess they bought the amp used and did not get the manual with it.

I did love that amp, and was "selling" it as much as I could, lol, I think it's one of the biggest sleeper amps of all time!

Please do!

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  7. rze99

FYI the one weak points with these amps aside from weight is that the reverb is a little dark and indistinct.

I recently had mine serviced by Jon Dickinson (the guy that makes amps for Muse) as he is pretty local to me. There was a crackling coming from one valve or other.

I asked him to brighten up the reverb and he has. It’s now bright and lush.

Great amps.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  8. ruger9

Yes, they were heavy... they had big iron, as well as an alnico speaker. Glorious.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  9. Moose212

Moose212 TDPRI Member

Any idea what he did to modify the reverb? Sounds like you have an ok tech :)

10. Mvincent

Mvincent TDPRI Member

I have a genz benz BP 30 I love it but something happend and the gain dissapeared it's only clean now.

I live in a small place and can't find anyone to fix it

The good news is.. Ceriatone is willing to work with me to recreate the schamtic

I will be making it a lunch box head
    15 watts 2 el34
    Boost is always footswitchable so that knob is gone
    Natural mode is always on so that knob is gone.
    No reverb
    Passive effects loop

But the rest following the bp30 schematic

I'm excited to see what ceriatone can do with this

11. Moose212

Moose212 TDPRI Member

That sounds awesome. Do you know roughly what the head's going to cost you?

12. rze99

Even if he told me at the time, my understanding of electronics is such that wiring up a telecaster brings a sense of achievement. I think he changed the tune and the cap for it but I can’t be certain.

if you PM me I can give you his email.

He does amps for Muse and is a top guy.

13. Mvincent

Mvincent TDPRI Member

It will be 1115$usd shipped using all top quality parts like orange drop caps. PTP hand wired.

14. Moose212

Moose212 TDPRI Member

That sounds awesome, let us know how it turns out!

15. Moose212

Moose212 TDPRI Member

Thanks! PM sent, but it's my first one I've sent so let me know if it doesn't come through

16. Moose212

Moose212 TDPRI Member

If anyone's interested, Jon was kind enough to get back to me quickly. He doesn't remember exactly what he did to brighten the reverb, but he wrote that "looking at the schematic I'd guess I removed either C26 or C28 or probably both. They both attenuate treble on the reverb return circuit, they're small values, you could make them smaller but knowing me I probably just removed them." He also suggested that you could put the caps on a switch if you'd like the option of setting the reverb dark/stock or bright.

Thanks to rze99 for the introduction!

rze99 likes this.
  17. rze99

pleasure :) always happy to help

18. Mvincent

Mvincent TDPRI Member

It will be a few months before the build is complete but I will Post a videos.. I plan to run it through the red fang in my 1x12

19. Moose212

Moose212 TDPRI Member

Hi Everyone,

I've been putting together a sort of user's guide for the amp for myself, and it seemed like it might be worth sharing, so I cleaned it up and you can check out my first pass here (in two formats): Word, PDF. I'd view it in Word if you can, since I couldn't get the hyperlinks to work in the PDF...

It's LONG -- 33 pages, plus a 7-page appendix (just a TDPRI post from @Les Paul lover copied in case the photos stop working), but it includes a one-page summary of what I consider the most interesting and/or important points (on p.2). I've copied that summary below, as well as the guide's Table of Contents below it.

If anyone's open to giving me feedback on it I'd be thrilled to fix anything I've messed up, etc., just send it over however's easiest. I'm also going to send it to Jeff Genzler (and maybe Andy Fields) to see if they're open to providing any feedback.

I could also copy the sections into individual posts if y'all thought that would be helpful (at least it'd be more searchable), but I didn't want to flood the thread unless people thought that was a good idea. Let me know.

I'm going to ~replicate this post over on the Black Pearl Posse thread on TGP as well.

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful over the years! And thanks especially to @ruger9 , who by my various estimates contributed 19%-24% of all information across the TDPRI and TGP owners club threads!

Summary of Most Helpful Items (p. 2 of the guide)
    1. Genz Benz Contact Info: this section in the document contains contact info for Jeff Genzler and Andy Fields if you need to contact someone from Genz Benz (e.g., for a repair question)
    2. Manual & Schematic: here are links to the Manual and Schematic (via here)
    3. Powering Amp On: when turning the amp on, let it warm up in standby mode for at least 30 seconds to prevent cathode stripping and extend power tube life
    4. Boost:
      1. Tone: some find the Boost too bright; you can increase the value of cap C6 to let more lows and low-mids through (stock is 0.0047uF)
      2. Replacement Footswitch: Can use any footswitch that shorts a mono cable tip to sleeve
    5. Reverb:
      1. Tone: the reverb is dark and cavernous, and does not sound like a Fender spring reverb
        1. Jon Dickinson at Dickinson amps in South London modded [rze99]’s BP30 to make the reverb “bright and lush”, probably by removing C26, C28, or both
      2. Feedback: you can get feedback within the reverb circuit at high Master Volume settings and Reverb above ~2 o’clock; reduce Master Volume and/or Reverb levels to mitigate
      3. Replacement Reverb Tank Part #’s:
        1. Accutronics 9FB1C1D (initial production pan)
        2. Ruby RRVL3FB1C1D (subsequent production pan)
        3. amprepairparts.com part # 4FB2C1D (Fender-recommended alternative)
    6. Master Volume: amp can become very bright when Master Volume is above ~1 o’clock
    7. Tubes:
      1. V2: only use Chinese tubes (e.g., Ruby) in V2 – half of V2 is a cathode follower, and Russian (and possibly Czech) do not function well in this application
      2. Rectifier: broad support for using any NOS rectifier
    8. Effects Loop:
      1. Designed for line-level effects (e.g., rack effects, outboard effects)
      2. Requires a line level shifter to run typical effects pedals
    9. Speakers: the stock Red Fang takes ~20-40 hours to break in
    10. Amp Troubleshooting and Repair Tips:
      1. Commonly noted causes of amp problems include:
        1. Bad power tubes
        2. Bad pots and solder joints, with bad solder joints often being near pots
        3. Blown fuses – typically a symptom of other issue(s) (e.g., bad power tubes)
        4. The choke coming unscrewed from the chassis
      2. Commonly noted solutions you can try before taking the amp to a tech include:
        1. Let the amp warm up in standby for a few minutes before powering on
        2. If fuse is blown, replace it – see note on replacement fuses at [10.c] below
        3. Try replacing the power, rectifier, and/or preamp tubes, likely in that order
        4. Clean the inside of the chassis and pots w/ compressed air and/or detox
      3. Genz Benz recommends increasing the fuse value to either 1.5 or 2.5 Amps (not sure which) when replacing; later production amps may already have this higher fuse value

User Guide Table of Contents
    1. Genz Benz Company & Brand History
    2. Genz Benz Team and Contact Information
    3. Misc. Amp Details (Release Date, Measured Wattage, etc.)
    4. Comparisons to Other Amps
    5. Manual & Schematic
    6. Powering Amp On
    7. Boost
    8. Voicing Switch
    9. EQ
    10. Reverb
    11. Master Volume
    12. Tubes
    13. Effects Loop
    14. Speakers & Cabinets
    15. Speaker-Compensated Line-Out
    16. Volume and Headroom
    17. Configuration Sound Differences
    18. Amp Troubleshooting and Repair Tips
    19. Shipping and Transport
    20. Amp Clones and Digital Models
    21. Trivia and/or TGP/TDPRI folklore
    22. Appendix – [Les Paul Lover] Post with Loose Choke and QC Date Photos

ruger9, Tommy Biggs and rze99 like this.
  20. rze99

You total star. Thank you very much for this.

Ps There’s one on sale in the UK in a forum not on other sales sites. It’s a totally mad price because people don’t know the amps. I’ve half a mind to buy it to have as a spare and I’m only not doing so because I have literally no amp room left.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.