1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Genz Benz Black Pearl Pirate's Den

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by ruger9, Oct 22, 2009.

1. 1Coil

1Coil TDPRI Member

I would think they are press fit, but you might need a knob puller type tool. If you want to be sure, contact Andy Field at:

Substrate Engineering

26260 County Road 98, Davis, CA 95616
    (530) 756-7312

[email protected]

He is Kaman(/Fender/Genz-Benz) support and is also a first class guy. He also regularly visits TalkBass.com.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Jeff

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  2. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

So now that I'm a proud owner of a BP30 310, I'm discovering that it's a known issues that the effects loop doesn't play nice with pedals, basically because it was designed for rack gear...

One person even communicated with the amp designer Jeff Genzler directly:

I tried putting a pedal in the effects loop and it caused a rather drastic change to the sound. It was almost like the sound was kind of like some heavy dose of reverb was being applied to it (even though I turned the reverb all the way down on the amp). I will experiment with the levels on the pedal and try some other pedals as well, but I was wondering if you had some insight on this.

***Our Effects Loop is designed for true line level effects----more like outboard effects. We designed this amp to be very pedal friendly in the front input section so we always recommend that you place pedal effects in the input.

Just letting all you BP'ers know that there IS a solution to this...

The Ebtech LLS-2 2 channel line level shifter will get the send out to your pedals at the proper level, and back in to the loop return once again properly converted.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LLS2

I'll report back on how it's working, and scout around for used deals - I found one of these at Music-Go-Round for $30.

Tommy Biggs, 1Coil and rze99 like this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

That explains it! I recall trying the effects loop and being very disappointed so I never tried it again. I always use pedals into the front anyway as I mostly use a little comp and boosts plus guitar controls to vary gain levels.

4. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Apologies if this has been asked /answered earlier in the thread, but can anyone tell me the manufacturer/part # of a replacement reverb tank for the Black Pearl?

5. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Now I'm a member. Member to be, anyway. I have one arriving Friday.

I need another amp like I need a second nose. I just bought a Tech 21 Trademark 60 and Power Engine 60. But I wanted a smaller, lighter tube amp to replace my Rivera Fandango. I really had my mark set on a DV Mark Frank Gambale, but here I am.

I had done a few hours of research a few weeks back, having found one for a very low price. But it sold before I could make my move. My concern with this amp is that it won't stay completely clean at stage volumes, with a anything beyond a controlled or 'polite' drummer. I suppose if that's an issue, I can always return it to GC.

I'd read about half of the pages in the BPPD here, and many pages at TGP. There seems to be conflicting descriptions and reports about this amp and clean headroom at high volumes.

I suppose we'll see.

6. rze99

Welcome to the club.

Superb amps. FMIC bought them and immediately discontinued the guitar range. Shame. They could have re-badged and branded and further developed boutique Matchless-style combos, which is where I see the BP.

I've said this before, that when I downsize (and I have to in about 7 years) I need to make a decision to keep one of my 8 amps. It will the the Genz Benz BP30 because it does everything so well and covers such a range and at pretty much any volume. I'd like the reverb to be brighter and better (like my DRRI) but that's about it.

Couple of points

"Smaller and lighter" is not what I would call the BP30. Certainly feels heavy after rehearsals and gigs!

Headroom: It's pretty loud and I expect you'll be fine. I have never run mine on more than 15W and we play rock americana etc with an averagely loud drummer, that said i don;t play clean more like light break-up.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  7. Endless Mike

Thanks for the feedback.

For me it is smaller and lighter, because I've been hauling a Rivera Fandango 100w 2x12 which is 80 pounds. Anything around fifty pounds, I can comfortably more without any issue.
    I have the Tech 21 amp(s) so those will probably see the most use. But I'd like to have the option of a nice tube amp.

I'm strictly a clean/no break up type of player. I guess I'll find out how it works in the coming months. I saw the Hellecasters in 97. Two of them were using Matchless 30w 1x12 combos (Donahue was using a GT amp) and those were the loudest freaking 30 watts I've ever heard. Jorgenson and Ray both had squeaky clean tones when the OD boxes were off. I'm thinking the BP might perform in a similar fashion.

8. 1Coil

1Coil TDPRI Member

Hey Endless,

Welcome to the club! I am assuming you bought the 1x12 version. Note that the 2x12 has serious headroom. In fact--since I sometimes like a bit of grit, (say like Robben Ford, Jack Pearson, & Tab Benoit)--I bought an Ear Candy splitter that allows me to use only one speaker in my 2x12 cabinet.

One person's loud is another person's, "eh?", and one person's clean is another person's death metal, so it's tough to tell from just a description. But, I have a single-speaker setting you might want to explore for your application:

Clean Bright SC T3_Jazz Funk Blues.jpg

I like this for jazz and funk rhythm on my single-coil guitars. But, my single-speaker settings are not intended for high volumes, so it might not work for you.

One of the nicest features of this amp (to me, at least) is the subtle and complex interaction between the tone stack and Volume settings. Turning up the Middle setting will often induce break-up, depending on the Volume. At the same time, the Master has only limited effect on break-up--similar to the K-Master knob on the Bad Cat, only slightly less immune than that. And, the effect the Master has on break-up is more pronounced on the 1x12, than the 2x12.

So you might be able to take my setting and muck with it, maybe incrementally drop the Middle and increase the Volume and Master.

But, if you like heavy mids, or play a lot of HB in the neck position, AND you want to play clean, it might not be the amp for you--UNLESS you go to a 2x12. Then you can bring the house down, clean.

Note also that the reduced power settings actually work against playing clean and loud. They are more intended for attaining dirt at lower volumes.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that many folks who like clean tones will mike their amp. Maybe you already have considered this, or nixed it for practical reasons, but I thought I would mention it.

Hope it works out. Please post once you have some results.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  9. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

@Endless Mike

See my post here about how well the BP30 likes 5751's

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/genz-benz-black-pearl-users.801532/#post-8148873

Mske the swap and you will never run out of loud and clean.

1Coil likes this.
  10. Endless Mike

11. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

I got my 3x10 for $599, and right before Christmas found a mint head on eBay that I won for $309. I pulled the chassis from the combo, which is now actually manageable to move around, and have the extra chassis "just in case"...

This is really the ideal BP setup.

It is a beast. I threw Mullards in for the EL84's and rectifier, the 5751's are vintage black plate RCA's, and Genalex Gold Lions for the rest of the 12AX7's.

IMG_0052.JPG

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  12. Endless Mike

Very clever. Talk about a steal, too.

Are the 3x10 also the alnico?

13. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Yes...

Genz-Benz worked with Eminence to develop them especially for this combo and they are amazing...

This is a quote from the manual:

The BP30-112 and BP30-212 models use the 12” Eminence® Alnico Red Fang™ loudspeakers and
    the BP30-310 utilizes a newly developed 10” version of this premium speaker. We worked closely with
    Eminence® in developing this 10” Red Fang™, assuring its tonal match to the Black Pearl 30® amplifier.

14. Endless Mike

It's a tremendous shame that this amp disappeared simply because FMIC didn't want to keep them in production.

Hexabuzz likes this.
  15. Endless Mike

Didn't see this until now. Thanks. Yes, I understand that the reduced settings are designed to make it easy to get amp distortion. I could mic the amp, or use the line out. I usually just use a Behringer copy of the H&K Red Box. It goes between the speaker out, and the speaker, and sends a compensated signal to the board.

16. Endless Mike

So, the amp finally arrived. NOTE: Never, NEVER pay GC fopr expedited shipping on used gear. You'll waste your money.

As to the amp. Well, it's okay. It's not what I expected or hoped for. So far I've found one setting I like. Keep in mind, this amp is intended as a CLEAN platform.
    I'm already considering either putting a Cannabis Rex in it, or taking it back to GC. It sounds fine, but not great.

17. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

I'm part of the club!!!!

I 1st tried the Black Pearl in 2008, and have tried to broker a deal several times, but it finally happened... after a 3h drive yesterday I managed to score this beauty!!!!

[​IMG]

I'm really pleased!!!!

A beautiful, great sounding amp.
    I'm really pleased with It!!!!

Hexabuzz and rze99 like this.
  18. Les Paul lover

I'm wondering if it got part exchanged at GC instead of revalved after the power valve got worn out.

It may not be your cup of tea , that'd be fine, but that amp has great clean tones, and a variety of them to boot.

That's what get me wondering if it simply got traded in when the valves started to dull.

19. rze99

Congratulations. Beautiful amp and so so flexible. Won't sell mine even when I downsize .wish the reverb was brighter and bigger but that's it .

Les Paul lover likes this.
  20. Les Paul lover

That's funny, I've read extensively about this amp, and the complaints abiut it's reverb and fx loop.

I love the reverb personally. Mind you , I like my tone on the dark and warm side of things. Really loving it.

I plan to try the fx loop soon - I need it to work. If it doesn't work, I'll try that ebtech line level shifter thingy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.