Genz Benz Black Pearl 30

NothingGoatboat

Tele-Meister
Does anybody own one of these? What can you tell me about the tone, especially compared to ac30s? I'm really liking the ideaof a voicing knob. They look like the ultimate hotrodded Vox, which is what I've been searching for. How well does it do John Jorgenson/Brad Paisley style tones? Thanks for any info!

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
I've got one and I love it.
Incredibly flexible tonally and in terms so of power options.
I mostly use mine as a sort of Vox / Matchless darker amp mixed together with my brighter DRRI.
for the most part it has replaced my late '60s Vox AC30. It's adaptability and range make it more comprehensive player's amp. The reverb ain't great. But you can get a great range of hybrid USA/British tones. A rare amp that sounds great using preamp dirt. It loves Teles and P90 guitars especially.

Here's what you need - the owners club thread. Genz Benz Black Pearl Pirate's Den

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/genz-benz-black-pearl-pirates-den.182795/

Tommy Biggs

Friend of Leo's
I own one, but don’t do anything like either of those guys, and never owned an AC30. I like that voicing a lot, but don’t have a great baseline.

I will say it’s a great sounding amp, overall and they are stupid cheap on the used market.

Chris Lester

TDPRI Member
I own a 1x12 combo version. For me it’s the best amp I have owned, and I have owned a few (Bogner Shiva, Anniversary Shiva, XTC Classic, 1966 Marshall JTM45, 1968 Marshall plexi, 1978 Marshall JMP, Lustone, Orange Dual Terror, Kelemen, 1956 Gibson GA40, 1965 Fender Deluxe). I absolutely love the chime of the Black Pearl and way it responds to changes in picking/touch. It cover a huge range of EQ and I like the overdive of it also.
I’m a fan boy and plan on getting a second one (probably a head version).
Hope that helps. :)

The-Kid

Tele-Holic
Does anybody own one of these? What can you tell me about the tone, especially compared to ac30s? I'm really liking the ideaof a voicing knob. They look like the ultimate hotrodded Vox, which is what I've been searching for. How well does it do John Jorgenson/Brad Paisley style tones? Thanks for any info!
Honestly your better off with a stock Ac30C2 chinese vox.

These sound good but dont really get that Vox goodness.

If your after a good vox amp.....

Get the vox.

Especially the head version as it comes with power scaling/attunation along with its stock MV and effects loop.

Cant beat these.

Excellent construction and superb quality even compared to my MIA PRRI LTD Bordeaux.

The way the power tubes are situated a tad better too IMO.....

BillyBlaze

NEW MEMBER!
I was endorsed by Genz Benz and bought the very last BP30 1x12 in the country after production run had ended. I've owned two of them and have one left.

Love these amps, they remind me of the Mesa Boogie Mark series in terms of how the settings work and how tweakable they are.
Still can't believe how they are flying under the radar so many years later, and they are similar to Takaimine Japan models in how they are so under valued because people cant see past the name plate on music gear....people rely on their eyes and they should be relying on their ears.