1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Genuine fret wear?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by teleile, Nov 12, 2020.

1. teleile

teleile TDPRI Member

So Im not good at saying about what wear is natural or ”reliced”. Here is my telecaster fretboard. Are there any experts out there?

Attached Files:

2. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I won’t be able to help you. But, I’m curious to know more about the guitar. What model it is, etc.?

That info will probably help others too.

Pax/
    Dean

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Looks fake, unless the former owner had really bad fretting technique. You're supposed to put your fingers closer to the frets, not in the middle between two frets.

But the answer lies in your own title. Fake fret wear is not a thing, although I don't know what the future holds. If the frets are not worn and the fingerboard is, it's probably fake unless it was refretted.

4. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Looks like a Roadworn? Factory done.

5. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

In my opinion, no. That's fake. I'm an internet expert, which means I've looked at a lot of pictures but I don't actually know anything or hold an advanced degree in guitar relicing.

What you should see with fret (fingerboard) wear are more individual ovals on the lower frets and then they turn into full "blobs" of wear up the fretboard where the player does more bending. Take the strings off of a well played rosewood fretboard and hold it up to the light and the oil from your fingers should paint a pretty good picture of what real wear looks like.

If that guitar is a poly finish it would take years of constant playing to get those frets worn.

Dismalhead and Tommy Biggs like this.
  6. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Meister

Could be real, who knows anymore?
    My naturally worn Telecaster is always mistaken for a Relic, even by the last two repair guys that worked on it. They both made cracks about 'fake' wear.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

First ... you don't want "fret wear" or you'll need to get a fret level done on the guitar for it to play well.

These are so deep that a refret will be necessary and the owner should replace them with stainless steel frets.
    [​IMG]

These are what (heavy) fretboard wear should look like. Notice how they are heaviest behind the frets and in loopy tear drops.
    (some fret wear can be seen too, but a level and polish job could clean those up before needing a refret).

[​IMG]

This is a heat map I did of a bunch of Fender Custom Shop fake wear they copied from real instruments.
    It's a collage of a lot of heavy wear not a single guitar. I found it interesting how Teles received less wear in the high frets -- a player demographic issue. Bob Dylan may have been the one to say he never made any money above the fifth fret, the Strat players didn't get that memo.

[​IMG]

blue metalflake and AAT65 like this.
  8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I've probably posted this on TDPRi before, but this is my 1982 JV Squier Strat that was re-fretted a couple of years ago. It's a poly finish and was my only guitar for the first 13 years and one of two guitars for the next 10 or so years, so it got a lot of playing time:

IMG_3068.jpg

Steve Holt likes this.
  9. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Smaller pictures would sure help.

The wear marks you see in maple fretboards are caused by fingernails against the wood--not by the strings. If you think it's the strings, press the little E string all the way to the wood between the 12th and 13th frets, and report back to tell us how easy it is to do ;)

Because the marks are caused by fingernails, the marks on real-deal worn necks appear between the strings, not under them.

SRHmusic and Steve Holt like this.
  10. Steve Holt

Nice! Yeah if you put Tha kind of playing into a Nitro finished guitar you'd have a real deal vintage looking relic!

I have a Strat that's a 2002 MIM and has been my main guitar for years. I bought it in 2008 and the previous owner had attempted to wear out the fretboard artificially. But the finish on that guitar is a protective shell more than it is paint. So I got a head start but it's going to take more years to get any real wear going.

Pictured: the candy shell on the body of my MIM classic series 50s strat

20201003_131528.jpg

KelvinS1965 and tintag27 like this.
  11. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Faking fret wear? Isn't that the ONE THING you don't want on a reliced guitar?

radiocaster likes this.
  12. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

Did you shoot that guitar? Trying to make a Chicago relic?

ronzhd and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  13. Steve Holt

Good guess but that's a zoomed in picture of a pickguard screw hole. The previous owner also switched from an 8 screw guard to a modern 11, and you can easily identify the 3 screw holes he added.

14. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Good points above, esp. about the location and shapes of the wear marks. Also compare to a few real examples like the fingerboards on Clapton's blackie, Mike Stern's Pacifica and Andy Timmon's Ibanez. That's really interesting about the Fender CS work. Maybe they do a pretty good job at this. (I'm cynical on relic jobs, generally. To me most I've seen look nothing like real players' instruments with thousands of gig hours on them. And, goodness, I hope they don't start selling guitars with pre-worn frets!)

15. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

Here's the wear on my 1930's Stella. It was set up for slide before I got it so I did all that in 10ish years.

Attached Files:

16. teleile

teleile TDPRI Member

Hi,
    It's actually american vintage 52. It's about 20 years old. I can see the other wear on this guitar is pretty authentic but im not sure about the fingerboard, it kinda looks cool but I don't do I really dig it. I can live with it though.

17. pi

pi Tele-Meister

Here's an example from a warmoth neck I sold. It was about 15 years and was starting to show wear (I think it had a very thin coat to start with).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  18. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I’m not convinced the fingerboard wear is natural - some quite strange patterns there.

Steve Holt likes this.
  19. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Need some closer pictures even really bad attempts don't look too bad from a distance

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.