Genius

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boubou, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

The makers of the USB connector finally figured out that it would be more practical to have a reversible connector , taking a cue from Apple's new phone connector.
    Took them long enough to figure that one out. They should have asked me years ago

2. sparkletele123

sparkletele123 Tele-Meister

I cant wait to get one....

3. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yea just what I want to do, replace everything I own with a USB or USB Micro connector. But of course there will be an adapter market.

Seems a better idea just to teach people to look at the connector before they jam it into the receptacle.

4. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Yay, let's reinvent a standard so the UNIVERSAL plug won't work anymore! :p :D

I haven't heard about that one. I also kind of wonder what's gonna happen when people start to expect that things have to go in any way they try to plug it, and the idea of trying to adjust their approach to meet the situation goes away in favor of the doctrine that the situation should match any approach the user can come up with.

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

this reminds me of the comments that I heard when USB came out to replace din8 din9 and serial cables...

and scsi...

6. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Heh - yeah, well... in the case of the original USB one of the major arguments against it was that it just didn't work for several years. I don't remember anyone actually complaining about being able to plug in devices without turning off the computer first.

I think the SCSI complaints must have come from Apple haters.

7. Boubou

It's because to see the receptacle on the computer you have to get on your hands and knees with a flashlight

8. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Gosh, that sounds like an awfully long time ago. I'm starting to recall all that unique id stuff. Not such pleasant memories when i think about it.

9. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

You don't have to look at the slot. One side of your USB plug has the USB symbol on it-- that's the side that goes up (or, in the case of a vertical motherboard, towards the top of the board).

10. brownshoe

brownshoe Tele-Afflicted

Actually, on a lot of the cables the symbol is raised so you can also feel it with your finger.

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

EXACTLY.. but it is the 'devil you know' thing.

people get used to stuff that is at once a great innovation AND crappy... and when the new GREAT innovation (also crappy in a couple of years) comes along... lots of people are used to the devil they know... and they hate change...

but it comes anyway (because it is actually better) and eventually, kicking and screaming and whining and complaining... they move and the new evil becomes the beloved 'reliable though flawed' solution that will be pitted against the new new evil....

the only thing that stays static... is the response.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Ouch! I've been trying for decades to forget about SCSIs. Yeah, I'm one of those that designed one in. Don't hate me for it, I already hate myself for it.

13. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

what ever happened to fire wire?

14. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I'm convinced that USB cables exist in 4 dimensions - Often when I'm trying to plug something into the back of my tower, I'll try it one way and it won't seem to fit, so I turn it over and try it the other way and it STILL doesn't fit, so I turn it over again and it fits. 4 dimensional properties are the only explanation. ;)

15. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    It was the Betamax of plug 'n play connectors.

Actually. not quite - it did become kinda popular for digital audio equipment, but not much else.

16. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Interestingly enough, I've still got an Apple wall-wart/charging-block thingy that only has a firewire port on it. It came with my 2nd gen 40g iPod (which was $499), along with a three ended cable... firewire on one end, USB on one end, and the older 30-pin iPod connector.

I've got nothing to even use it with. That is, except that old iPod, which still works.

17. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Mid-pro standard for video too. I think firewire got basically matched for speed with the advent of USB 2.0, the great advantage being the exact same plug configuration as the original USB, as well as significantly higher uptake.

18. Boubou

That was my point exactly
    Except I think there are 6 dimensions

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

19. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

I have an IBM server at the office running Windows Server 2003 with two SCSIs. It ran SCO Unix for a couple of years before it got Windows. I'm going to replace it early next year. I'll be sad to see it go-- it's the only machine there that I have had zero trouble with. I haven't even had to replace the power supply!

I might put BSD on it and use it as a tertiary backup or something just to see how long it will go...

20. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Daisy chaining scuzzies... oh yeh... takes you back... ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.