1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Genius short work of sort-of-fiction

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by alathIN, Dec 5, 2020.

1. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

This is a genius bit of science sort-of-fiction. My favorite kind of sci fi is when the fictional world reflects something informative about our world.

The basic premise is an artificial intelligence program designed to generate maximally controversial statements for internet clickbait. The program spits out the first output and the software team gets in a huge fight about it (see, it works!). It gets better from there.

The program is named for one of the programmers - "Shiri" - and "scissor" because it creates division.

I think Shiri's Scissor is the defining concept of our age.

It's a short easy read but quite well written and unfortunately so, so germane.

https://slatestarcodex.com/2018/10/30/sort-by-controversial/

2. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

Scott Alexander is a national treasure. I think he's probably the most consistently interesting writer in the United States, or at least if there's somebody better I haven't found him/her. I can't think of anybody else who writes about such a wide range of topics in similar a level of depth and accomplishment. The whole thing about him quitting because a New York Times reporter insisted upon using his real name in a profile is crying shame. He may be a notable figure but it was so arbitrary and unncessary that I just can't accept their decision and cannot believe that it was not based at least in substantial part upon a wish to punish him for his (awfully tame) forays into the culture war. I hope he is back writing again soon.

If you liked that one, he also wrote a humourous tale around common proverbs called "The Proverbial Murder Mystery" that is brilliant. It doesn't have the public intellectual angle that your selection does, but for pure inspiration and hilarity it's hard to beat.

https://slatestarcodex.com/2019/02/13/the-proverbial-murder-mystery/

alathIN and Toast like this.
  3. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

interesting links. Thanks for posting them.

4. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Maybe there’s a simpler explanation.

alathIN likes this.
  5. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Holic

From time to time
    The clouds give rest
    To the moon-beholders.

- Matsuo Bashō

alathIN likes this.
  6. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

cf Monty Python's killer joke sketch, update, twist . . . voila

alathIN likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.