Genius: Aretha

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by VWAmTele, Jun 11, 2021 at 6:15 AM.

1. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Anyone else catch this 8 part drama series on NatGeo (National Geographic) channel? I thought it was pretty good. A lot of recording studio depictions, Muscle Shoals, Jerry Wexler, Rick Hall, King Curtis, the Swampers... No Duane Allman to my disappointment - maybe they'll make next season Genius: Duane :)

Of course, when the music is good it's great. She had a pretty tough life and according to this particular depiction by actress Cynthia Erivo, never smiles.

[​IMG]

2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

We were going to start the Aretha series, but ended up starting with Einstein and are working our way forward. The Einstein series is fairly well done.

VWAmTele, Slip Kid and Fendereedo like this.
  3. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

I want to see this. The Fame studios exterior shots were filmed a couple blocks from my house.

Edit: Actually I may be thinking of the biopic starring Jennifer Hudson. I want to see both.

VWAmTele and Fendereedo like this.
  4. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I enjoyed it but thought the Einstein series was better. It is a cool series, though.

VWAmTele likes this.
  5. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

I could never get into Aretha. People look at me like I have an arm growing out of my forehead when I say that, but whatever.

drmordo and 68tele like this.
  6. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I know what you mean. There are a handful of songs that are as good as it gets, but for my personal tastes I find a lot of the material not to be particularly exciting. And according to the biopic - that was mostly due to Aretha doing only what she wanted.

RodeoTex and Slip Kid like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.