Generous gift: ES-339

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by czgibson, Jun 9, 2013.

1. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

It's a bit of a strange one, this, and I'd welcome any thoughts on what you think I should do.

I have been given possibly the most generous gift I have ever received: a nearly new Gibson ES-339 like this one:

[​IMG]

The background story is that I did some session work last summer for a songwriter friend of mine. We are talking three days' work, guitar and bass parts for ten songs. These were my first paid recording sessions; I didn't give much thought to what I should be charging, and since he was a friend anyway I'd have been happy to do it 'at cost', so to speak. He paid for my food and fuel for each day, plus £200 for the work. I was more than happy with that.

A few months later he started saying that he hadn't paid me enough, and that I deserved more. He said he didn't have enough money right now, but he wanted to offer me one of his guitars, this ES-339.

To cut a long story short, I've been saying no for months. I don't really feel right taking it from him, especially given the fact that he's actually still paying for it on finance. In the end, what he did was turn up to a rehearsal he knew I was doing, and he left the guitar in the middle of the room and just disappeared. I couldn't leave it there as it would inevitably get stolen, so it's ended up at my house.

At the moment I'm treating it like a loan. I'll speak to him again soon and try and work out what to do. Maybe I could offer him something in return. In the meantime, I'm overwhelmed by his kindness but at the same time a bit confused by the strange way that things have turned out.

What do you think about this? Have you had any similar experiences?

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

the trojan horse guitar...:lol: ;)
    who knows?.. it might be a terrible guitar....:rolleyes:

I'd say he just loves your input on the music... and feels he needed to reward you in some way...;)

perhaps you'd better play the finish off the thing...:twisted:

3. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Wow...what a guy...I'd feel like I'd definitely owe him something if he won't accept that guitar back...
    Maybe continue to do session work for him at no cost or at an extremely reduced rate?

Maybe a nice donation to a charity in his name?

4. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like you're both stand up chaps.

5. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Your Avatar kind of says it all really. Taking note of the details you mention, it's not an easy one.

6. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Convert it to an Esquire..........:lol:

Seriously.....I've been in the same boat.My pride said no, I tried to give back the item.But it made the other party happy to give it, and since they wouldn't take no for an answer I humbly accepted.

7. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Keep it and enjoy it, and let the matter drop. It could well be that you helped this guy fulfill a dream, and that's a hard thing to put a price tag on. You'll get an opportunity someday to repay the kindness, and it won't seem so awkward then.

It's what friends do.

8. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Cool story. I'd double check to make sure the guy isn't sick, going through a divorce, or depressed.

Not to sound ugly, but sometimes people give away prized possessions prior to commiting suicide or when they're terminally ill.

Just follow up with him. I think it's okay to accept it, but make sure you know the whole story.

9. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Use it with gratitude and please don't bug the guy any more about why. If he ever seems like he could use it you could gift it back to him.

My guess is that the work you did for him brought his songs to life and he's grateful.

10. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to sound cynical but if he hasn't paid the finance off is he going to try and claim that it was stolen and claim the insurance?

11. backsideslappy

backsideslappy Tele-Afflicted

He wants to give it to you - in fact forcing the issue and trying to get him to take it back might even offend him. Take it, treat it well, and always be ready to do him a favour, because it's clearly not something he takes lightly.

12. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Marry him!

13. furtherpale

furtherpale Former Member

i often throw money on the floor when a friend clearly deserves money for petrol and won't take it

14. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmm....I don't know the OP or his buddy, but that is a VERY expensive gift to give. I dunno. I think the OP is doing it right. Just treat it as a loan and see what happens.

15. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Holic

wow...that's some sorta payment! Have you asked him how the tracks have been received? Could be he's gotten some very good feedback on the recordings. Maybe an up and coming contract? Possibly shopped a tune and somebody is working on it now for THEIR record? I personally would like to think your playing took his song(s) to a place they needed to be and he's just THAT grateful. Three days work and inspiration for food/fuel/stipend isn't a lot if he's gotten a good break into the industry. Congrats play the guitar and stay good friends, make sure he knows it's always available like Paladin;)

16. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Next time you see him be playing the guitar. Tell him how much it means to you as an instrument and how much he means to you as a colleague and a friend.

17. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic

It seems to me he really wants you to have the guitar.....so take say thanksthanksthanks and play the heck out of it and enjoy!

18. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Does he have need for an adoptable child my age?

Just accept the gift and thank him. If the songs chart and you don't get credit, then question the gift. Otherwise he's a considerate person trying to do right.

19. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

That is a nice gift and I understand OP's confusion, but since he left the guitar, he's serious about you having it. Hopefully it is a guitar you like and could use.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.