Generic VS name Brands

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm a one-ingredient peanut butter guy
I've never looked at the ingredients in peanut butter. I used to always buy Peter Pan because that's what mom bought. Now I use Jif, Peter Pan, Skippy. I tried the "fresh" deli made peanut butter from Publix but I didn't care for it. I guess I like additives.
Almost everything we eat has additives.
Gasoline has additives.
We still have pesticides on our fruit and veggies.
I guess we're all walking around with "additives" from preservatives etc, plus an unhealthy amount of plastic from our containers.
😱☠️

effzee

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I'll have to check out an American Aldi next time I'm in the US. Here in Germany, we have a lot of similar store chains, not just Aldi/Lidl. We also have Norma, Edeka, Rewe, Netto, Plus, and a couple more I can't think of off the top of my head. And I mean right here in our little city.

They all have competitive products but I think Aldi is almost always the one to beat, and their store brand products are often just a little better and more competitively priced than the others. Aldi management are incredibly smart and have some of the most aggressive purchasing agents in the business.

Anyway, regarding store brand vs name brand, one thing I've learned is that store brands have a lot more flexibility to change their products, or completely switch suppliers and sell a totally different thing under the same name. Big brand names can't be that dynamic, they have their niche and they have their loyal customers, so any drastic changes can prove disastrous.

That's why it's always a good idea to check out the store brand articles from time to time. It's very common to get not just comparable but noticeably better quality for a better price compared to the big names.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I've never looked at the ingredients in peanut butter. I used to always buy Peter Pan because that's what mom bought. Now I use Jif, Peter Pan, Skippy. I tried the "fresh" deli made peanut butter from Publix but I didn't care for it. I guess I like additives.
Gasoline has additives.
I guess we're all walking around with "additives" from preservatives etc, plus an unhealthy amount of plastic from our containers.
😱☠️
Fresh deli peanut butter may need a bit of salt added.
As far as additives go, we can use purchasing power to force change. Several companies have stopped using hi-fructose corn syrup, for one example.
It isn’t necessarily just additives…many ingredients are refined to the point that they have little nutritive value.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I agree. I use sharp cheddar from a block that I grate rather than the shredded variety.

I usually don't like canned peaches but I need to add them to my diet for health reasons. I found the Dole brand (famous for pineapple) in the plastic "jar" were very delicious. They're pricey but worth it to me. I go through 1-2 jars per week. They're my go-to sweet treat alternative.
Not a huge fan of canned fruit, but in winter, there's not a lot of good fresh fruit up here in the north. I've thought about trying those more expensive jarred ones, I guess I'll have to give them a go!

Twofingerlou

Tele-Holic
Gasoline has additives.
😱☠️

I’ve often thought we have got used to the additives or preservatives ect, I’m sure it changes the taste for some things. I remember years back a gal I was dating had family come from out of town. They were real big into growing green beans. They brought a bunch of them up fresh and cooked them with dinner one night. That was my first and last time with fresh green beans, just didn’t seem right.

Twofingerlou

Tele-Holic
Not a huge fan of canned fruit, but in winter, there's not a lot of good fresh fruit up here in the north. I've thought about trying those more expensive jarred ones, I guess I'll have to give them a go!

I know Costco has the glass jars of peaches, you can get a three jar pack iirc for around twelve bucks. Probably the best ones I’ve tried.

jackinjax

Friend of Leo's
To my admittedly limited knowledge Wal-Mart, Costco, Publix, and the rest don't have manufacturing facilities for many, if any, of their "store brand" products.
I used to call on the Golden Flake Potato Chip plant in Ocala Florida and watched them packaging both Golden Flake and Publix chips at the same time from the same overhead hopper.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
2 VERY important things here:

The stores make more (or are at least getting better margin on) thier brand item than when you buy the name brand. This is why Great Value Ice-cream sandwiches and Private Selection (Kroger) ice cream containers can in fact be better (based upon higher milkfat/cream content vs filler, or offering more interesting flavors, etc) than a name brand. They're sometimes in direct competition with name brands, even when the product is made by the same company in some cases. It's in thier financial interest to not suck, because even when you have Target/Walmart level buying (and price bullying) power, you still technically make more on the house brand.

Second.
Keep in mind the FDA only cares about the wellbeing of the masses up to a certain point. The whole alleged reason for thier existence goes "poof" if they don't care at all, but their regulations aren't super strict. On the food side, there's strange allowances such as # of insect heads that can be in a single fig nuton cookie. Spoiler, it's more than none.
On the drug side, it's more about revenue stream from the testing etc. Tylenol probably couldn't have made it to market today if it hadn't already been in place. The company and physicians can't agree on dosage, and due to it not being readily patent-able, not a single big pharm company would dump the dough into pushing it.

I wouldn’t count a store brand as bad or a name brand as good based solely upon FDA involvement. It's a gamble either way, just a larger likelihood someone has noticed something isn't right with a bigger brand.

So, I do both. Depending on the item. I also reccomend people check prices via app or whatever for Walmart or Kroger (do Publix and Target have that too?) Before assuming Aldi is cheapest on canned goods. Stuffs going up there too. My last surviving grandfather was griping last year, and Great Value cream of chicken was like 3cents cheaper than Aldi when we looked. Strange times.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I know Costco has the glass jars of peaches, you can get a three jar pack iirc for around twelve bucks. Probably the best ones I’ve tried.

My younger daughter has birch pollen allergy, which is fairly common. A side effect of this is any raw tree fruit in the birch family makes her throat swell -- apples, pear, peaches, etc... You can break down the chemical that causes this by heating the fruit, and canning involved heating the fruit! So, as a labour of love, my wife gets local peaches, pears and apricots and cans them. She makes them with less sugar than what you buy commercially, and they are amazing. 🥰

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
I worked for one of those major brands for years. We canned our own premium product with all the best stuff, the store brands got what they contacted for.
The first cutting of spinach is the best, the second still good, the third cutting usually went to the store brands. Thicker stems and such...
Tomato sauce to match the store brands own recipe was about 6x in tolerance than our own premium brand. Why? Because their recipe was so watery that it had no margin for error.
Our premium jarred peaches (the ones in glass over in the produce section) have an additive called essence. Essence is peaches with all the flesh and all the water removed. I forget how many bushels of fresh peaches it takes to make one ounce of essence but it's a lot and very expensive.
Anyway, at one plant they had added a new peach essence controller but not noticed that it came with factory settings of 1 , x10, x100. This one was set at x10.
Very expensive screw up.
Wonderful peaches though. I went to my local store and bought all the glass peaches they had.

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
Cheese? It's all the same. We get a big block of NY aged cheddar at Aldi for $4 and at Cub or Byerly's it would be at least twice that.
The "Lucerne" brand they sell at Safeway tastes like cardboard, compared to Tillamook, which goes on sale for about the same price. Not to mention NY Cheddar like Helluva Good, which is crack.
I’ve often thought we have got used to the additives or preservatives ect, I’m sure it changes the taste for some things. I remember years back a gal I was dating had family come from out of town. They were real big into growing green beans. They brought a bunch of them up fresh and cooked them with dinner one night. That was my first and last time with fresh green beans, just didn’t seem right.
Fresh green beans, with a little brown mustard and brown sugar are one if nature's mist sublime treats. (G)

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I worked for one of those major brands for years. We canned our own premium product with all the best stuff, the store brands got what they contacted for.
The first cutting of spinach is the best, the second still good, the third cutting usually went to the store brands. Thicker stems and such...
Tomato sauce to match the store brands own recipe was about 6x in tolerance than our own premium brand. Why? Because their recipe was so watery that it had no margin for error.
Our premium jarred peaches (the ones in glass over in the produce section) have an additive called essence. Essence is peaches with all the flesh and all the water removed. I forget how many bushels of fresh peaches it takes to make one ounce of essence but it's a lot and very expensive.
Anyway, at one plant they had added a new peach essence controller but not noticed that it came with factory settings of 1 , x10, x100. This one was set at x10.
Very expensive screw up.
Wonderful peaches though. I went to my local store and bought all the glass peaches they had.
very true, just because one place makes product for multiple companies doesn't mean the product is all the same. The Chinese products are a good example, from things that don't even really work to the iPhone. A wide range of quality.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Some have alluded to this but some stores even the name brand goods are different from the same name brand goods sold elsewhere.

Many (or possibly most) name brand tools sold by Home Depot or Lowes are priced a little lower than other retailers sell "the same" tools for.
I have not researched them all but did learn when shopping for a mig that the Lincoln Electric models at HD were same model same case but not the same guts, a downgraded machine that seemed to have the same specs.

Similarly I have pulled out and opened the boxed tool and it was not the same as the demo unit on display.

MrClint

Tele-Holic
I don't have that much brand loyalty to be honest. Brands that lean toward organic, non-GMO, grass fed and all the other things that take us away from monoculture and heavily processed foods are what I tend to lean toward. When you think about ditching the chemicals and such the brand choices tend to narrow down. The good news is that we get to vote with our dollars.

Twofingerlou

Tele-Holic
Some have alluded to this but some stores even the name brand goods are different from the same name brand goods sold elsewhere.

Many (or possibly most) name brand tools sold by Home Depot or Lowes are priced a little lower than other retailers sell "the same" tools for.
I have not researched them all but did learn when shopping for a mig that the Lincoln Electric models at HD were same model same case but not the same guts, a downgraded machine that seemed to have the same specs.

Similarly I have pulled out and opened the boxed tool and it was not the same as the demo unit on display.

Well a buddy and I both have a Lincoln HD welder, mine is the 110 and his the 220. Both bought fifteen years ago or so. Both are actually kick arse machines for the money and we’ve had zero issues.

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
To agree with what @telemnemonics said above, the big box stores often put in huge orders with big brand companies like Hunter and John Deere.
The product carries the big name brand but they may be like a Squier version of a Fender model, or at least an FSR.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Well a buddy and I both have a Lincoln HD welder, mine is the 110 and his the 220. Both bought fifteen years ago or so. Both are actually kick arse machines for the money and we’ve had zero issues.
Not saying BAD MIG or anything!

I forget the details but the smaller one sold at HD and welding shops was found to be same model different guts.
IIRC it had to do with continuously variable heat setting vs a four position setting or something like that.
Long time ago, I just remember a good number of witnesses stating something like that.