General question about Gibson mini-humbuckers

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by milocj, Jul 12, 2017.

1. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I recently picked up a 2005 Les Paul Deluxe, which I believe is the first year of reissuing the model after their first run from '69 into the early '80s. I also want to add that I'm not a pickup swapper and basically only try different pups when I put together a partscaster and I'm really happy with the sound of this guitar.

My only other experience with minis is a set of Fralin or Lollar pups in a friend's boutique guitar, and that led me to trying some '70s LP Deluxes when I would run across them. It was my buddy's guitar that got me interested in them and I loved his and was generally impressed with the old Gibby Deluxes that I tried out.

So, getting to the question, are the early reissues (2005 plus the next few years) more or less the same as the older mini-hums from the '70s and before? I know that they've played some games with the Firebird pups by hiding a different construction underneath the plain covers and have made tons of different full-sized humbuckers to change the tone or lower the price, so I'm actually just curious if these first of the reissues were pretty much true to their roots.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The made a run in 1999, too.
    Nice guitars.
    I love Deluxes with mini humbuckers.
    I love mini humbuckers.
    The pickups look, and sound the same as older 60s/70s models.

3. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

But Deluxe mini humbuckers are NOT the same as authentic 60's firebird pickups-

GuitarJonz and uriah1 like this.
  4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think brookdalebill is right and the Deluxes have smaller humbuckers that are constructed in a manner similar or even identical to the originals from the 70s. As pointed out here on many occasions, the Firebird pickup is a totally different design, sounds much brighter. The other nice thing about the minihumbuckers is that is easy to switch over to non-dog-eared P90s if you decide you prefer them- same size body rout. Or even a true Firebird design, for that matter. Three interesting options right there.

5. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

I have the minis in a couple Gibsons; LOVE them. I can't tell a difference between my 2007 and my 1978.

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Pete Townsend loved them, too. It would be fun to crank an LP Deluxe through a sweet HiWatt, for sure. The nice thing about them is they are very much like PAFs but just a bit higher voiced and slightly more clear sounding. YMMV of course. People who can't stand true humbuckers and only dig single coils will still find them too "muddy" for their ears.

7. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I think they sound fabulous as well, though always amazed at how many Les Paul aficionado's act like mini hums ruined their prom night.

brookdalebill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.