General Observation-playing Guitar Isn't Something Kids Are Rushing Out To Learn And Do Anymore

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

You bought a guitar, to punish your ma.
    You didn't like school, and you know you're nobody's fool.

sjruvolo, Frank'n'censed and Steve 78 like this.
  2. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Many seem to want instant results and the idea of spending a lot of time mastering an instrument, any instrument, does not appeal. As a consequence, after a few lessons they give up, the ones who persevere though are really good because they have a love of music and the instrument.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  3. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I believe that is pretty astute^^^.

Guitar is featured on AI quite a bit this year so maybe some small interest will arise from that. Pop does go in cycles and they are difficult to predict.

My son plays sax, keyboard & guitar (in that order...but he's 44 and quite the artist in many ways. A couple grandkids are interested a bit in guitar & I'll try to get one a start. Dedication to practice may be lacking, but that is an age-old thing.

I do note the 'youngsters' are different than ancient me in many ways. I'm OK with that. So it goes.

4. Pickin N Grinin

Pickin N Grinin Tele-Meister

The thing that is kind of puzzling is it seems like Fender all by themselves, must produce 10,000 different versions of the same few guitars and that's just one company. Between Fender, Gibson, Epiphone, Martin, Ibanez, etc. etc. etc., I wonder who is buying all these guitars to keep everybody in business and profitable. If you look at the automobile industry, the majority of the disposable vehicles they produce are worn out and dragged over the scale to the crusher in about 10 years so people buy more cars & trucks. With no scrapyards full of old guitars where do they all go? As to the original question, this is a society that demands immediate satisfaction. For a lot of kids a cell phone provides that where many hours spent learning to play an instrument does not.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, I dunno, my grand daughter was born a rocker: (yeah, I know, a harmonic shredder. Kids these days:rolleyes:) IMG_0707.JPG

JustStartingOut likes this.
  6. Unpossible

Unpossible TDPRI Member

no one gets excited by trumpets anymore, either.

EllroyJames likes this.
  7. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

I completely disagree, they're are so many people playing guitar, just most of them gravitate to country music because it became popular and is easy to play. They're are like 4 guitar players at my job, I know another ten in town and Craigslist is packed with musician ads

surfoverb likes this.
  8. Unpossible

Unpossible TDPRI Member

Are the craigslist ads for older hobby guys getting together to play the songs of their youth?

Or, are they for young people getting together to get paid lots of money in front of large super excited young crowds.

9. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Both my kids play, Girl and Boy, 10 and 9 respectively ..... yeh I know they haven't ever been able to move without knocking over a guitar :mad:, but still there are plenty of acts over here that are guitar driven, especially singer songwriters á la Ed Sheeran.

At a recent open mic I went to, 4 x 16 yr old boys turned up with acoustics , bass and Cajun ... Really good!

My boy has recently focused on bass :rolleyes: but his Teacher has him learning classics from Deep Purple etc :lol:

Plenty of Indie guitar stuff going on still to motivate young guitarists ........ my kids prefer Freddie King tho' ! :cool:

Frank'n'censed likes this.
  10. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I have a 16 year old nephew, he lives for rockin guitars. Plays in half a dozen bands, gigs all the time. It's not pop though. It's great to see, I steer far away from any judgements, or even suggestions.

I have a pal from a musically gifted family, the youngest son is very talented and was a very good guitar player very early on. He is way more into production and vocals at this point, but he is after commercial success in a big way, as opposed to the nephew who is anti pop.

Time will tell, but both are good young guitar players. My point I suppose is that guitar is less of a driver in popular music. There are still plenty of players, but they aren't as prominently displayed.

songtalk likes this.
  11. jdm61

jdm61 Tele-Holic

I am not sure what kids you are talking about, but my oldest son is 22 and the Guitar Hero thing convinced a number in his age group in high school to take up guitar, etc. A lot of that was pushback against hip hop and "R&B". In the case of my son's crowd, they were also pushing back against the "emo" and other shoe gazing alterna-rock music and actually listening to my old music.

songtalk likes this.
  12. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I was worried we wouldn't make it through the weekend without the usual "old men complaining guitar is dead" thread. And yet, here it is!

I am on the local Facebook site for my community, every couple of weeks some mom is looking for lessons for her daughter .

What are YOU doing to promote the guitar for the young?

I'm on my way back from vacation...my son (11) got a big kick out tipping all the solo acts in the restaurants (out of my wallet!). In Savannah he watch this guy play in a hacky way and some open tuning for like 30 minutes..completely engaged. A lot of it is exposure.

13. unclefred

unclefred Tele-Meister

Playing guitar doesn't get one laid thêse days. So why would they? Posting dick pics is what they do now. Yes, It's sad.

Tele1966 likes this.
  14. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Evidently I've practiced so loudly at night that the next door neighbor's 12 and 8 year olds enjoy going to sleep to my playing. And so there's that promotion.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  15. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Duplicate

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I guess it varies. There is no country where I live.

17. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I keep several guitars hanging on the wall in my high school classroom, and kids come in to play them during lunch, before school, and after school. Sometimes they sneak in and grab one while my class is in progress. . .not sure why their time is free then! Several of those kids are getting pretty good.

In addition to the kids who come in and play my guitars, I often have kids tell me they are learning, or they want to learn, or they play. I don't know whether there are fewer players today or not, but I don't think it's dying out at all.

18. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This thread is more about generational obfuscation than it is about the popularity of the guitar.

The TDPRI average age is somewhere between get-off-my-lawn and depend-undergarments. It's hardly surprising that we have no idea what those young folk are doing musically unless they're on our lawn.

TBH though, I hardly listen to guitar-based music anymore. I'm bored with it. Listening to Knife Party as I type this.

19. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

My observations.
    The average age of the folks who use local band rehearsal space is 40+.
    The kids who Do have tuition don't take it much further than high school, I'm FB friends with many ex students and only two of many, are playing in bands regularly.
    The kids who Do have tuition rarely include seeing a live band in their weekend time, it's mostly sport activities.

unclefred likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It's much more important to learn to HOLD a guitar at an early age. If you do so, then you can make millions of dollars, and become famous, and rich, and ride horses, and have a good time, and all that. george_strait_005-x600.jpg

superbadj likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.