Gene Moles : Unsung hero

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by WaylonFan76, Sep 29, 2010.

1. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Hey ! Just did some research online, discovered the name of the lead guitar player on most of Red Simpson's records as being Gene Moles. His tone and licks on the classic album Roll, Truck Roll have influenced so many and yet we don't know his name. Bill Kirchen namedrops him as one of his major influences, I'm sure Junior Brown owes him a lot too, yet not many know him. He played on many sessions including Merle Haggard, Buck Owens,etc. He was also Mosrite guitars' quality control guy until the company went under and penned a few instrumentals for the ventures.
    Any more info, especially gear related ?

Ben-Zion likes this.
  2. novi

novi TDPRI Member

Gene was the one who introduced Mosrite guitar to The Ventures through Nokie Edwards (lead guitarist of The Ventures in 60's)

Gene and Nokie were old buddy. (Gene passed away a few years ago) They wrote a few tunes together; the most famous on was "Sunny River (from the 60's album "Twist with The Ventures")

3. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Maybe Mandy Marie will see this and chime in. Gene Mole's son Eugene did some playing on the $600 Boots record and I think she's a big fan of Gene Sr. too.

4. WaylonFan76

Thx... I'm more interested in the Bakersfield Country sound he helped create. I'm chasing that tone. Just listen to the LP "Roll, Truck Roll" ... there's a particular lick he plays in one of the tracks ,you can just tell Junior Brown based his whole career on that very lick. ;)

Ben-Zion likes this.
  5. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

His son Eugene is a member here, and posts quite often.

6. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

Nice fella too!

7. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

I love Eugene's posts! Every one is a pearl laden slice of history!

dan

8. novi

novi TDPRI Member

Check Nokie Edwards' new CD too. You might find the tone you are after.

Nokie was with Buck Owen band before he joined with The Ventures in 60's. He played a Telecaster with The Ventures in 70's. Fender also had a Nokie Edwards Signature Telecaster in 1996 (Made in Japan, very few were distributed in the US)

[​IMG]

Nokie talked about this guitar during his interview with Modern Guitars Magazine a few years ago:

http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/003736.html

" GM: I understand that there was a Fender Nokie Edwards Telecaster.

NE: I designed one and it’s the first time Fender ever did a major change on a guitar. I think it was in the ‘90s. It’s a Nokie Edwards Signature model and I did a tilt headstock on it. It tilted back and it was only a one year thing...."

:)

slinger likes this.
  9. WaylonFan76

thx guys... I just sent him an email about his dad's gear on Red Simpson's records , here's his answer:
    "HEELO PAT, GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU. YES , MY DAD PLAYED ON ALL OF RED SIMPSONS CAPITOL ALBUMS. HE PLAYED THE "HIGHWAY PATROL" SOLO THAT JUNIOR BROWN COPIED ALMOST NOTE FOR NOTE. BACK THEN ,I BELIEVE HE USED A 58' OR 59' FENDER BASSMAN. AND PROBABLY THE MOSRITE SEMIE GAVE HIM. HE USED A 9,11,16,26, 38, 48 FOR HIS STRINGS. LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU, EUGENE
    "
    Good luck trying to copy that tone with a Tele in a Twin RI !... :eek::lol::rolleyes:

10. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

When Jr Brown first got real popular and HWY Patrol was out he played a gig at the Crystal Palace. Jr sent Gene and Roy Nichols tickets and they went.

I knew Gene real good from hanging around his shop for years and me and Eugene became great friends.

So when Jr started doing all those tricks with the tuners he said here is some stuff I learned from Gene Moles and the croed went nuts it was a great moment cause Gene never tooted hos own horn. I knew Gene for aboiut 6 months before I even knew he had played in bands with Merle and Buck etc he never bragged about anything the most humble guy I ever met.

I think Don Rich took some of his style from Genes ideas also.

Gene did some great surf music too so he wasnt just all country.

bhenry83 likes this.
  11. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

12. novi

novi TDPRI Member

"Sunny River" written by Gene and Nokie

13. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Junior Brown has always given a ton of credit to Gene for the stuff he "borrowed" from him.

Tim

14. WaylonFan76

Good for him... I am a huge JBrown fan, and when I listen to Roll,Truck Roll album, I can hear where he got a lot of his licks and tone. Him and Ernest Tubb.
    Actually ,I met a guy at a Junior Brown show last July @ the Continental Club who said something really funny and true : he said Junior Brown is like the illegitimate child of Ernest Tubb and Jimi Hendrix :lol: if you think about it, it makes sense...

15. novi

novi TDPRI Member

Here is a country tune "I got a woman" by Nokie Edwards. Hope it is a little closer to the tone WaylonFan76 is after.

I love both country and surf tunes by Nokie.

Nokie used a HitchHiker guitar which was designed by him and made by Charvel Custom Shop before Fender tookover.

slinger and brookdalebill like this.
  16. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd Tele-Meister

Resurrecting this old thread!

I’ve just recently discovered Gene Moles and am quickly becoming a huge fan.

I am wondering whether he played bottleneck-style slide guitar on tracks like “Diesel Smoke, Dangerous Curves” (it sounds like it to me) and if so, whether he switched back & forth between slide & “traditional” playing in one take? It all sounds like one guitar but I can’t see how he would have time to get the slide on & off, or play those licks with it on. Maybe it was overdubbed, or maybe he was just a magician. (Seems that last part’s not up for debate!)

Thanks in advance for any insights.

John

slinger, telestratosonic and Ben-Zion like this.
  17. Redd Volkaert

Redd Volkaert Tele-Holic

Leo LeBlanc was the pedal steel guitar player on the Red Simpson records

sugarinthegourd and slinger like this.
  18. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

nice to see you here Redd ..you Tele pickin' maniac..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.