Gear You’d Like to Have Back?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Aug 18, 2020.

1. BobTheOwl

BobTheOwl Tele-Meister

Sell guitars and gear???? I didn't know you could do that.

I just assumed when you bought a new one you kept the old ones.:)

Steerforth likes this.
  2. JunebugJones

JunebugJones TDPRI Member

This is a great thread. Regrets, I’ve had a few... I sold my beloved 2001 USA Fender Texas Specials Strat years ago when I went through a divorce and was strapped for cash... and was playing in an acoustic band at the time. It was practically mint, otherworldly chrome red, amazing neck and superb fit and finish. Sparkling tone. Smelled like maple, for some reason, lol. I was a noob to Fender instruments at the time and didn’t even know what I had. It really spoke to me. Over the years since I’ve bought four more USA Strats, love them all, but none are as magical as the one I let get away. On the bright side, I’ve developed a real appreciation for Fender guitars and the nuances of different models, years and pickups. But I still watch Craigslist and Reverb wondering if one day I’ll see that guitar again.

Tele1966 and Steerforth like this.
  3. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

Oh Lord! I shouldn’t have sold these three: Chris Cornell ES-335 w Lollartron pickups, Jeff Tweedy SG, Gibson J-45 in Cobraburst. Sigh....If I ever hit the lottery I’ll track down all three!

452E85A8-846E-4A91-B4EF-1B63F2A5736C.jpeg

Steerforth and Seattlesurfer like this.
  4. dogrocketp

dogrocketp TDPRI Member

Two guitars- a Guild X700 Stuart, the best sounding jazz box I ever played. A D’Aquisto Avante Gard is the one I miss the most. I had told her I wanted a divorce, and she decided to quit working even though she made a lot more than I did.

Steerforth likes this.
  5. oldrocker

oldrocker NEW MEMBER!

Hello all,

It is not my intention to change the tone of this thread. And I have parted with some gear that I might wish I had back.

But fate blessed me when I acquired my ('00 or '01?) Strat on the 'open market' (Craigslist). I was a bass player for the previous thirty-odd years and preferred the P and J Fenders. But the gigs and 'open stages' were diminishing and I always wanted to be able to do something with a 6-string.

That was 10 years ago. I won't claim to be stage-worthy but I will say and maintain that playing a 6-string electric is fun!

This guitar may be nothing special, but I will never part with her. And for the rest - no regrets here .

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Steerforth likes this.
  6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My '77 Fender Super Twin.
    6 - 6L6's, that thing had power from hell and headroom to spare.

Steerforth likes this.
  7. uberaxe

uberaxe TDPRI Member

Cheesy but...my Zoom 9002. Sterile as heck but perfect for a minimal amount of work to be able to kick back and play.

Steerforth likes this.
  8. Seattlesurfer

Seattlesurfer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

8280D027-CA90-4A26-BC58-CB774CBED270.jpeg My first surfboard I purchased used in 1976 in San Diego!

JazzDreams, Tele1966 and Steerforth like this.
  9. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

1987 Fender American Standard Strat,
    1989 Fender American Standard Tele,
    1990 Seymour Duncan 84-40 40 watt 2x10" combo
    Late 1990s to early 2000s Ampeg B15 Portaflex flip top all tube bass amp
    A couple of different 50 watt all tube Marshall half stacks
    A TV Yellow Hamer (US) LP Special double cutaway with P90s that was stolen

There's many more, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Seymr Dunc amp.jpg 1st El Gtr. 87 Am Std Strat.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Steerforth likes this.
  10. Hoof Hearted

Hoof Hearted TDPRI Member

Back in 1979 I had a Shaftesbury Les Paul Gold Top copy, sadly missed.....

Steerforth likes this.
  11. Brendan

Brendan Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    Custom shop. Big neck, big regrets.

Seattlesurfer and Steerforth like this.
  12. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

L Series P Bass
    1963 Fender VI
    1960 Telecaster Custom
    1961 Gibson SG Les Paul Custom ( worth quite a bit now but that is the only reason I miss it )
    1973 Telecaster Delux ( hated it but like the Les Paul now worth quite a lot )

Steerforth likes this.
  13. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Tele-Afflicted

For me it would be my 4 input, non-master volume JCM800 half stack. Man, was it loud, but it sounded incredible. I should have just bought an attenuator and a 2x12 for gigging, but instead I sold it and bought a spectacularly unreliable JTM60 combo instead.

Steerforth likes this.
  14. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

My late dad's D18 Martin, and a 1998 "Collector's Edition" Tele. Both of those were sold during a brief time of mid-divorce financial hardship.

Also, I sold a trailer full of stuff later on and mistakenly let go my favorite mic, an Electrovoice N/D 767. They don't make that exact mic any longer, and I'd sure like to have it back.

Tele1966 and Steerforth like this.
  15. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

More like...I would love to have all the money back from all of that stupid buying....

suthol, Seattlesurfer and Steerforth like this.
  16. Mud67

Mud67 TDPRI Member

Wow sorry for all of your loses. Personally I don't get rid of any of my gear I still own my Hofner bass I acquired in 1967 or 68 its the beat up looking bass behind the no tolex 1969 drip edge SR in my avatar

Steerforth likes this.
  17. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Okay. I don’t feel so sorry for myself anymore. Some of you made me flinch when I read your accounts. Mine is still bad, but I now realize that I’m not alone in this boat, LOL! :lol:

Seattlesurfer likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I just don't want to play because stuff I'd "like to have back" is essentially objects of regret.
    Regret is not a game I like playing.

But yeah there's one guitar and one amp I actually regret losing.
    One was a Strat I put together from some of the best vintage parts that came to me in need of repair/ restoration.
    Best Strat even and I've never had or seen an adequate replacement.

The other was a Plexi 100 that was maybe the best amp I ever owned, and also the real thing not a misidentified metal panel or a clone.

Live long enough and we accrue pasts we cannot return to, or drag fragments of into the present.

But so what, stuff is not as important as living with some intention and trajectory.
    Regret is like sand bags on a balloon.

suthol and Steerforth like this.
  19. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I wish I had kept my first electric, a Squier bullet strat from the 90's. I would have put the neck on a different body and upgraded electronics.

I also wish I had the Peavey Classic 30 I bought in 2000. It was a sweet sounding amp.

I wouldn't mind having the DW drums I sold a few years back, but I don't miss them quite as much as I probably should

Steerforth likes this.
  20. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

My username here should be Tele1967. It turns out recently I was mistaken regarding the year of my Telecaster. I ordered my '67 through Petert's Music in Portland, Oregon in 1967. Mr. Petert ordered it direct from the factory. It was a wonderful and beautiful guitar. I made a huge mistake and sold my Telecaster in 1970 to buy a motorcycle. Undoubtedly one of the the biggest mistakes of my life.

In the pandemic I decided to build a guitar. I researched Telecaster kits. It occurred to me I should just order the same Telecaster from the Fender Custom Shop.

It took one week of phone calls to old friends and people I was in bands with back then to put together a time frame and calendar of what year Telecaster I had. 1966 or 1967? Thanks to one friend and former band mate we pieced together when he first saw my Telecaster - it was snowing and based on the year of the snow and a blurry picture I have of my Telecaster, you can make out it had a 1967 headstock logo.

Bottom line, I ordered my identical '67 Telecaster from the Fender Custom Shop in June this year. I should have the guitar in 2021. It will be an exact copy of my '67. Orders to the Custom Shop are made through Custom Shop dealers. I strongly suggest anyone considering to order from the Fender Custom Shop to order from Wildwood Guitars in Colorado.

telemnemonics and Steerforth like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.