Gear sale regrets

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleBrew, Jan 4, 2018.

1. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This post isn't about regretting selling something, and then never seeing said piece of gear again.

I used to be too stubborn to buy something again that I regretted selling, but I'm getting better (also getting better about not selling things compulsively). Anyone have any things that you sold, thought better of it, and replaced?

Here's my list:

1) E-H NYC Big Muff
    2) MXR Carbon Copy Delay (replaced it with the Bright version, which I actually like a lot better, but close enough)
    3) Fender Super Sonic (had the 22 watt model, have the Super Sonic 60 on the way, but again, close enough)

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Emotionally, I regret selling just about everything I've ever sold. I almost always have second thoughts, either immediately or at a later date.
    Intellectually, I know almost everything I've sold needed to go... for financial reasons, available space reasons, or I just didn't play/use it enough.
    To answer your direct question, I've never replaced something I have previously sold.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  3. grilldanmo

grilldanmo Tele-Meister

All instruments and amps, which makes up 99% of the equipment I've owned and sold. I've kept most of what I've ever owned though...

4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Tele1966 likes this.
  5. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hmmm. I repeat: what have you sold that you thought better enough of to replace? Everyone has regrets. What had a strong enough pull that you went out and bought it again?

6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Mustang I v2. Bought it, tried it, didn't get it, gave it away.
    The recipient showed me a bunch of videos.
    Bought another.

Vespa_One and TeleBrew like this.
  7. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

Well, sorta ...

I sold a Fender EC Tremolux but then I lacked any tweed deluxe-like amp. (The EC Tremolux is based on the 57 Deluxe Reissue.) So, I'm building a 5E3, without tremolo.

I sold a 70s Fender Reverb unit but missed it. I bought a used 63 reissue but sold that as it was not nearly as good. Still looking for another 70s reverb unit. Maybe I'll gut a reissue ...

TeleBrew likes this.
  8. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sold a blackface Vibro Champ about 25 years ago. Big mistake. Replaced it two years ago with a silverface VC. Best tremolo ever.

TeleBrew likes this.
  9. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Nothing gear related, but went through this with my Super Nintendo

TeleBrew likes this.
  10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve never been in that situation. Everything that went needed to go for reasons outside of finances. I’ve been able to (knock on wood) fight to keep the stuff I didn’t really want to get rid of, so far.

TeleBrew likes this.
  11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Three pedals.

JAM Chill (tremolo) that I convinced myself I didn't need - but I missed it terribly. And then the second one wasn't as good. Still have it. Still wish it was the original one.

Catalinbread 5F6. Sold because I didn't care for it. Then I thought I missed this one thing I used to use it for. I was wrong. Both are gone now.

AnalogMan Prince of Tone. This seemed like one of those pedals that I *should* like. Felt I didn't give it a fair shake the first time. Wrong again. Also double-gone.

Lessons learned:

1. This one I already knew: Don't sweat it. Pedals are like jellybeans. Cute, colorful, easy come, easy go. Always fun to try, but not always to keep.

2. With pedals, patience is overrated. If the pedal doesn't simply come out of the box, get plunked down on the board, hooked up, played, and already sound decent, then it never will. I'm done with manuals, two-function buttons, menus and boot sequences. I'm done with searching for that elusive great tone that must be hiding in here somewhere. Come out, wherever you are...

3. I hate most overdrive pedals. I already knew that one, too.

TeleBrew and Mr. Lumbergh like this.
  12. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

In a few hundred years of gear buying, I think nothing, at least in the last 20 years.

I did buy 3 Gibson Hummingbirds until I realized none would be like the first, but stopped that back then. I still think about them, eye them, try to catch them starting to undress, but now know that they are just trying to trick me. They are just slimmer, younger versions of my Advanced Jumbo, trying to lure me in with their siren song, singing “Remember us, we were your first true love, you still want us, don’t you”? Yes, I want you, I might dream about you when I’m weak or down, but please stop pulling on my arms & prying my fingers away, because they are now enmeshed in my Advanced Jumbo’s delights.

And my Telecaster doesn’t appreciate it, either.

TeleBrew, nojazzhere and moosie like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.