Gear minimalists?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by markal, Jun 10, 2021 at 2:47 PM.

1. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Ha. You clearly don't know me. I have fuzz pedals like Duggars have kids. There's room in this world for all of us. I didn't mean to criticize any fellow musicians' practice, only to praise @Redstar15's. You keep doing your thing, cousin.

2. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I have one, too. Fun pedal.

3. 2GoneDE

2GoneDE TDPRI Member

20210606_204918.jpg I have a display shelf (that my wife hates) of pedals...but lately, it been this.

4. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Not really, since I just bought stringed instrument #9. But I might flip it! :)

I could certainly be a minimalist as I don't have a real need for a whole lot of gear. But at the same time, I have the space and the dough, and I do use them all. And it's convenient to have amps located in all the places you normally play so you are not schlepping stuff around too much. I don't use the bass and the 12 string all that much, but when I want them, I want them.

The two people I have been playing with own just one instrument each and they do not see any reason to own a second one. I know lots of people like that - I don't think they ever visit gear sites. So by their standards I am a bit nuts, but the flip side is that they love when I bring out the tricone resonator.

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

For all practical purposes I could go KOT, DLS, delay into my PRRI!

6. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

I am very similar. I have more gear than I need at home, but when I go out to play, I only take what I feel I will need, which is minimal. I will take 2 guitars, just because, along with an amp, cables, and a couple of trusty pedals. Less is more.

String Tree likes this.
  7. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

8. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

I have come to this recently.
    I have one guitar: a partscaster with EMG pickups. I play with BIAS on a laptop through the PA. I carry at most one little PA amp of my own and a cable, but most often with just the guitar and cable.

Playing at home, I just plug the guitar into the PC and play.

Old Plank likes this.
  9. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

My bedroom setup is Telecaster into a Fender GTX 100.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  10. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

My Gas has been passed for the time being. Eight guitars (4 acoustic and 4 electric), seems to be holding me over for now. Plus 5 lap steels! They count right?

Technically, I have 13 guitars. I don’t like that number! I need to buy another one just to make it an even 14.:D

Old Plank likes this.
  11. Blister

Blister Tele-Meister

I have 2 Amplifiers that are single knob controlled one tube and one solid state. Two Electric guitars soon to be a third that’s it

Old Plank likes this.
  12. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

I own an acoustic, a singlecoil, a humbucker, a multi-pedal, and an amp. I will acquire a slightly larger amp if I start playing out again. That's all I need.

(Oh wait: I have a WAH, a compressor, and a clean boost too).

Old Plank likes this.
  13. Redstar15

Redstar15 TDPRI Member

I agree- it depends on the sound you are after. If you are trying to sound like a guitarist on a specific song, you need the right equipment. If you are trying to sound like yourself, then you need what sounds good to you.

14. Redstar15

Redstar15 TDPRI Member

A tele and a Champ is very fun. I use that setup a lot at home.

15. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

My favorite “tonal home base” guitar setup is also my simplest: a one-HB strat-shaped hardtail Squier straight into a cranked Peavey TKO bass amp. It’s like the most unlikely but fortuitous instrument and amp pairing to put across what I do.

It’s a good argument for plugging everything into everything and look for happy accidents.

Downsides: what I love about it about occurs in one volume sweet spot only, which is pretty loud, and elsewhere it’s just a polite clean tone. And while it’s my simplest rig, it’s also the most unpleasant to move, because the amp is tall, heavy and awkward.

16. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

You got a studio. Sounds to me like it is filled with some studio stuff, and not too excessive.

What's the point in getting rid of stuff you might wanna use? Unless you don't have the space or need the cash.

cyclopean likes this.
  17. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Meister

Tell me about the Pro Junior amp! I've been tempted to scoop one of those.

18. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I was meaning to pull away from my church gig and form a rockabilly band & go minimal.
    ASAT-tuner-delay-spcomp-amp
    but…
    I am forming and planning the Rockabilly band, yet I keep my church connection and so far my minimal setup is:
    ASAT, tuner, dist, delay, Keeley Monterey, Walrus Monument, delay, SPComp
    I failed at minimal and I own it

19. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Meister

My "minimalist" approach is a relatively new development. I've recently sworn that I will no longer buy "B-" gear, unless there is a clear path to quickly upgrade it to an "A". That means no more "its a bargain" guitars, pedals, or amps. From now on, only "A" purchases, along with a similar command to either convert anything I already own to an "A" or sell it.

Old Plank likes this.
  20. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

It appears our 20 year-old band is closing shop, and that was my first thought ... maybe it's time to part ways with a bunch of long-time gear, down to the bare essentials for gigs and jams, but maybe pick up just a few new things in the process to ease the pain .... so, it would be like a two steps forward, one step back kind of minimalizing.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.