Gear minimalists?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by markal, Jun 10, 2021 at 2:47 PM.

1. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

If you want to be minimalist I suggest getting an amp with Reverb and Tremolo!

I took my Orange Rocker 15 out last night to play with a friend. I missed having Reverb.

But taking my pedal board would have been a lot more work for an hour and a half of playing.

2. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

I have, somewhat. E.g., bikes - I used to have many, but sold a bunch.

For music, I think sometimes the choices in front of me inhibit creativity and make me thing about gear more than music. YMMV.

Obsessed likes this.
  3. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

:lol: Good stuff! I’m with ya. Kind of surprised I didn’t limp on over to Sweetwater’s site right after posting this thread.

4. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

My rig for most of my life was a 64 twin reverb and an early 60s Les Paul special. I had one pedal box. Had to drive to Manhattan to get it because we had no stores with them in New Hampshire for a long while.... Broke after a week. Electro Harmonix quality.

I've got the twin still, the lp special and have a vibrolux for smaller gigs and an ac30. My only other two guitars are a 60s parts tele and jaguar.

I also have about 7 pedals but mostly bring a tuner because my single coil guitars hum in some venues.

greenhornet likes this.
  5. greenhornet

greenhornet Tele-Meister

Bedroom setup: Robert Cray Stratocaster> Okko Diablo> Vox ac10

Garage setup: RC Stratocaster> Dunlop Echoplex Pre amp> Fender Princeton Custom Hand Wired Reverb

6. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

in the sense that i'm OCD. i have to have the most REFINED system. whether that's guitar stuff or synth stuff. do it all, do it most efficiently. i rifle through gear a lot but never keep a lot of it at any given time. GAS for me is more like a puzzle to solve how can i do things the best with the least amount of stuff.

Ron C, Old Plank and Bella like this.
  7. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

a couple months ago, i played a Dr Z Carmen Ghia 2x10 for about 15 seconds or so. i thought that was the baddest, meanest, most glorious ragged and primitive guitar sound i ever heard. i could see a really skilled guitar player making a mark on the world with that amp with no pedals at all, just a guitar volume knob.

Rory Gallagher would love the Carmen Ghia.

Old Plank and nojazzhere like this.
  8. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

I used to just use 2 guitars (toronado and tele) 2 pedals (fuzz and chorus) and 1 amp (Fender 75) for everything.

I can sound like more things now, but I wasn't really wanting for anything back then. The other rig was a silverface bassman. I own 4 giggable amps, 5 giggable electrics, and a 5 pedal board of what I deemed important to have.

But i probably sounded better with just the old setup than what I have now, because I was more in touch with what I had, it was more extension than tool then.

Theres certainly an advantage in sticking to a few pieces of gear over a veritable museum.

Old Plank likes this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I would like to do away with a pedalboard, but in the cover band I play in, I HAVE to occasionally use chorus, tremolo, and 12-string emulator. If I din't need that, I would only take my #1 Tele-partscaster (for past two years) and a Vox Pathfinder 15R in a cab with a 12" speaker. I like the ease and "clean" sound of a simple "guitar-cable-amp" rig. While I have other guitars accumulated over the years, that Tele-style does it all for me. They almost NEVER get out of the house. ;)

10. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Minimalist yeah. Blues jr. Pedal board and one tele. Strymon saved my pedal board cuz without the power supply. My tone was horrible with all those pedals.

Oops just bought a blues cube for travel.

If I had a band or bigger place I would definitely have a tweed hrd!

Old Plank likes this.
  11. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Completely agree with @markal. Perhaps it's a phase but I hope it is a phase that never ends, LOL.

I downsized to one amp (Fender Mustang GTX) with one main tone that was user developed ("Angry Twin Tweed") and another stock tone ("Boosted Blues Rock").

I use the Angry Twin Tweed with my Tele and Strat and the Boosted Blues Rock with my Epi Les Paul.

It took about a year and 4 different amps to come up with this arrangement.

But I found out something pretty interesting. I find myself looking forward so much more to my little jam sessions because I know I won't be spending time on chasing tone.

I have two acoustics and am about to list my Martin for sale and just go with my Guild M-20. I hope I don't regret that decision, LOL. But the truth is that I have a gorgeous Martin that never gets played because I am always reaching for the Guild. I know, sacrilege. Whatevs!

12. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

I have spent time as a 'gear minimalist', mostly cause I was broke. I don't have to discipline to not buy cool gear if I can swing it.

cyclopean and Frodebro like this.
  13. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Figuring out what you really use takes some people a few tries, some experiments. Others find it right away.

An older guy in my neighborhood moved to a smaller house in the same neighborhood. He told me he has more space in the new, smaller house because he got rid of things.

Ron C, loopfinding and Old Plank like this.
  14. Redstar15

Redstar15 TDPRI Member

A guitar and a pedal into an amp.

Attached Files:

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

A B Bender Tele, cable and a Roland Cube 80XL is my rig.
    I have lots of nice guitars, but this simplistic set up does all my tricks.
    I’ve been a bender Tele guy since 1983.
    I started using Roland Cubes around 2007.
    What they lack in mojo (whatever that is), they make up for in simplicity, dependability and versatility.
    I’ve used the rig on lots of recording projects, too.
    Great stuff, IMO.
    Since they are no longer made, the Katana series is the next best thing.

Old Plank and Redstar15 like this.
  16. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

That's a great rig! The sounds a good player couldn't make with that aren't worth making.

After a year without gigs, and no band anymore to return to, I'll keep doing pickup gigs, mostly on fiddle, but playing electric guitar at home. It doesn't take a complicated rig to woodshed rhythm changes and ii-Vs. I'm no minimalist: I have bins full of stompboxes and a closet of amps. But I'm keeping most stuff put away for now so I'll practice instead of twiddling with funny sounds.

Redstar15 likes this.
  17. Redstar15

Redstar15 TDPRI Member

I have too many pedals and I keep going to just one on gigs.

Edgar Allan Presley likes this.
  18. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

The cube is almost cheating. I have a thirteen pedal pedalboard for shows and band practice, but i mostly go straight into the cube for at home practice because it has a reasonably good pedal board built in.

Redstar15 likes this.
  19. cyclopean

There’s a lot of great music you can’t make with just a guitar straight into an amp. Don’t be so provincial.

Edgar Allan Presley likes this.
  20. cyclopean

You can pry my bf-2 from my cold dead hands.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.