1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gear Insurance

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Martin R, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A while back...a long while back...there was a thread that mentioned an insurance company that had policies for gear and even gigs.
    I can't find it. Does it ring a bell with anyone?
    Thanks

2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I don't know what the company was, but if you're with Allstate insurance they can hook you up with what they call a 'Valuables Plus' policy. (If you're not with Allstate, check with your agent anyway, they may have an equivalent.)

That's what I did with my vintage and boutique stuff. I got my bill for the year today, and I've got about $35K worth of gear insured for about $180 a year. Worth looking into.

- D

3. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

4. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Afflicted

I know the AFM (American Federation of Musicians) offers instrument insurance (As well as other benefits for professional musicians)
    https://www.afm.org/ (Albuquerque local: https://afm618.org/ - Look under "Benefits")

5. modavis99

modavis99 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

USAA offers “personal articles floaters”- extra coverage for itemized, expensive objects like jewelry, musical instruments, art, etc. I bet most homeowners policies offer this kind of additional coverage. Read the fine print though. For example, is value based on purchase price, appraised value, or replacement value? What’s the deductible? Also, if you use it for your livelihood it might not be covered. Etc.

StrangerNY likes this.
  7. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I have an extension on my home policy which covers musical instruments as “valuables” at / or away from home including whilst in transit. Blanket cover up to £2,000 then named items above this.
    Low cost to have this additional cover, but there’s an exclusion regarding “not for reward” so no use for any sort of pro use.

StrangerNY likes this.
  8. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

I used:

https://www.anderson-group.com/

after interviewing three or four companies, including my current HOI provider. Itemizing on my current policy and adding a rider was going to be about $150 more per year (about 30% higher, for context) than these guys and their documentation requirements were more straightforward. I have all my guitars, amps, recording equipment and my piano listed on the policy, and they know that everything (except the piano) has the possibility of being out of my house occasionally to gig or record, and that periodically any given piece of equipment could be rented to folks using my buddy’s studio. Those kind of provisions generally aren’t covered by homeowners insurance either by default or even if you add a rider.

Good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.