1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gear Confessional - a/k/a yes, I'm a Bleeping Idiot

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MilwMark, Feb 25, 2021.

1. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I think I've earned my lesson with guitars though. I'm really happy with what I have, and it only took me three tries to discover I'm not a hollowbody guy (twice with the same model!).

telemnemonics and MilwMark like this.
  2. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

It sounded great when I was on my own, and it is hard for me to describe it, but in combination with our bass player, my baritone voice, and the other guitarists mid heavy rig, there were these kind of muddy overtones that I just couldn't dial out when we all played together.

MilwMark likes this.
  3. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Well, you can spend your cash on material goods or on experiences and if you are cycling gear you are kind of doing both. Plus you accumulate stories.

4. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I picked up the guitar, again, right at 25 years ago, after about a 25 year layoff. I have been serious about playing and improving over those past 25 years. In that time I've owned close to 20 guitars and 7 amps. With that history, I'm obviously no collector or gearhead, merely a player who is searching for my comfort zone and identity (vocabulary, sound, and fit).

I'm down to 8 guitars and three amps, and no regerts about parting with any of the other equipment, and no GAS. And the only model of guitar I've owned twice is an LP... the 1996 Studio LP I gladly parted with when I traded it for my 2007 Tele, and the 2008 LP Standard, which I'm very happy with. Pedals? Eleven total, and I use all but one, split between two amps.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    MilwMark likes this.
  5. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Yeah it becomes silly at a certain point. My gear was never holding me back, and that boutique pedal or amp was never going to improve my playing.

MilwMark likes this.
  6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know what this thread is even about. My USPS tracker says that my most recent pedal is "out for delivery" and I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl. It's a tremelo pedal that I don't need. But when I get home from work tonight and plug it in, it's gonna change everything!

I mean everything!

Slip Kid, Mad Kiwi, Deathray and 7 others like this.
  7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh. You know EXACTLY what it's about. :lol:

Mad Kiwi, elihu, DekeDog and 2 others like this.
  8. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

I just did a quick count up, and in my entire life I've owned (as far as I can remember, because most of it was over 30 years ago):

12 guitars (including 3 acoustics and 2 basses), 9 amps and about 5 pedals.

Not all at the same time, and never more than 2 electrics, 1 acoustic and 1 bass at a time. 2 amps at the same time was also my maximum.

I appreciate that many of you have far more gear than that right now, and lots of you trade/sell/buy more gear than that in year. Good on ya!

For a lot of years, 1 'affordable' acoustic was all I had. There was a phase of several years where I owned exactly zero guitars at all. I survived...but it forced 'cold turkey' on my GAS and I've been in recovery for a long time now :twisted:

ale.istotle and MilwMark like this.
  9. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Here's an extremely dumb thing. At the end of college, my band unraveled, I was moving across the country, I was broke and worn out from working construction. My silverface Pro Reverb died. I took it into a shop and they said it needed a new something-something. I don't remember, but spending even $50 on it was impossible. So . . . I just left it behind.

I spent the next few years on the opposite coast gigging with a $100 solid state Fender crap amp.

The Pro Reverb sometimes appears to me in dreams like Jacob Marley.

DekeDog, Mad Kiwi, Ron C and 6 others like this.
  10. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

upload_2021-2-25_16-39-0.png

11. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

I sold my 1963 SG, my 1967ish Tele and my Marshall 1959 Super Lead. And for peanuts compared to what they would fetch now.

I will regret those sales until I shuffle off this mortal coil.

12. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I like to think my gear is better now than anytime in my life. So why do I keep changing things?

My biggest regret was letting go of my old Korean made 12 string Fender acoustic F312-12. It had a bone nut and sounded great to my ears. I know it's a cheap guitar, but that one was nice.

MilwMark likes this.
  13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I've recently gotten into disc golf. So now my GAS urges can be satisfied by buying a $10 or $20 plastic disc. Like with guitar gear I already have more than I need, and I am totally limited
    by my skill rather than my gear. But hey, it's only $10 to $20! Yay, cheap GAS.

For example---

upload_2021-2-25_14-17-46.png

MilwMark likes this.
  14. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Dude, pick up the oxygen free models. Cost a little more, but they will blow your mind.

MilwMark likes this.
  15. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

...right after I get me my Nachocaster.

MilwMark and naveed211 like this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I was happy with my sounds and didn’t really need anything but bought three pedals in February resulting in sounding so bad that playing stopped being enjoyable.

Here though I do blame the gear for seeming so sexy.

Ear fatigue and expectations conspired against me and all I had to do was log on to pay pal to hand over the power to those task masters.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    MilwMark likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

After having big amps I loved 30 years ago, then shifting to smaller amps plus pedals to make them sound X, I never got back to quite the past simple perfect gear/ music relationship.
    Ironically the market is full of pedals that promise old big amp sound.

I’m not sure though if the right gear can recreate a past relationship?

Edgar Allan Presley and MilwMark like this.
  18. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One thing I have learned, I think definitively (after a briefly fun but ultimately unsatisfying fling with the Marshall Origin 20c) is that I need about the equivalent of 40-50w of dynamic range available to be happy. I may only use a portion of that. And I may play at the same levels as with a 15-20w amp in fact. But that dynamic range is not the same and it seems to be a bedrock element for me. So I hear you on the big amps thing.

People can argue round and round about big amps v small amps. But in my experience there is a difference in dynamic range. And that is THE fundamental difference (the volume can often be roughly comparable). Some folks may not need that dynamic range and that's great.

I think that's part of why I love my JC40 so much. It gives me the dynamic range of a powerful amp, and 2 nice speakers, but only weighs about 34lb.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My goal in life was to buy some really nice guitars, exceptional guitars, guitars that anyone would be glad to have. Then to sell them. (which was quite easy because they were guitars that anyone would be glad to have) Keeping only guitars that no one else wanted. Okay, so it's not a goal that most people would understand, but all the same it was a goal. I've pretty much accomplished all of that.

Steerforth likes this.
  20. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

30 years ago people went to a live show expecting it to sound live and loud. Now people expect live music not to drown out their conversation and to sound like an mp3. So no, you can't go back to simple big amp days.

MilwMark and telemnemonics like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.