GE Smith style Lefty Esquire

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by JP Lace Master, Mar 26, 2020 at 9:45 AM.

1. JP Lace Master

JP Lace Master Tele-Meister

let me explain, I'm in lockdown and have time to get some work done including this Esquire Project. I am a big fan of the Tele, particularly the Esquire and the Fender GE Smith Tele, which seems more like a Broadcaster, so I decided to combine some elements.

As you can see, I have mounted the bridge pickup directly on the cavity, which I have filled in to get the pickup to a proper height. I have also spent some time carving out the pickguard and neck pocket so that the neck I have for it will actually fit.

The pickguard I found on eBay is Warmoth and the pickup is a Fender Lace Blue Telecaster Bridge pickup, a rare item these days. I haven't found any evidence of another one existing so I believe this may be the only Lefty Esquire made, its going to be awesome.

Attached Files:

2. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Looks good so far! What color are you thinking of painting it?

3. JP Lace Master

Thank you Nubs. I'm not sure what colour, I might just give it a clear coat or maybe stain it, the grain of the pine is quite nice, wouldn't want to cover it up. A deeper brown or red would look good with the cream pearloid pickguard.

4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

I vote for a deeper brown. With that pearloid guard it would look fantastic.
    It’s gonna be a nice esquire!

Nubs likes this.
  5. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I agree! A nice deep walnut stain or dark brown would look great with the pick guard.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  6. JP Lace Master

I think deeper brown will do the job nicely, its the electrics that are my main concern, I'm not the greatest with a soldering iron so a prewired harness might needed. The bridge will be easy enough and the rest of the hardware will be easy enough.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  7. JP Lace Master

that's 2 votes for the deeper brown

8. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Keep us posted please!

9. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I had the same thing keep me from building guitars. I hadn't touched a soldering iron since I was like 11 or 12 putting an RC car together.

They do make prewired kits. Honestly I would think some of those wire coupler sleeves should work just as well as soldering. As long as they're clamped down securely and the sleeves are heated to shrink wrap around the wire, I don't see why these wouldn't work in lieu of soldering.

I solved the soldering problem by switching to drums.

10. JP Lace Master

mine isn't so much an issue of using the soldering iron, its going to be the Esquire wiring itself that'll get me, a classic Esquire wring diagram, is beyond me, but I want that trio of bright with no tone, standard volume and tone and extra capacitor for dark tones and prewired seems to be the way to go.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.