GC Sale today: Hardtail Bullet Strat in LPB and Sea Foam Green

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ron C, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

This caught my eye - Guitar Center's deal of the day is $40 off the usual price for a hard tail, poplar bodied Bullet Strat in Sea Foam Green. Same price for Lake Placid Blue.

Any of you own that model? It's not string through...is the break angle at the bridge okay?

Here's why it's of interest: If I was to buy or build a Strat style guitar again, I'd want it to be a lightweight, thinner body hardtail. That's pretty matches how Fender describes this model.

I'm a stickler for getting the electronics, the nut and the frets just right, but I can do that work myself and have spare parts around if needed. Fixing a too-shallow break angle at the bridge could be tougher, though, if it requires anything more than shimming the neck and raising saddles.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It uses the same style bridge as the Robert Cray sig Strat.

It's fine.

drmordo likes this.
  3. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

The Robert Cray Strat is string-through. This one is a top loader.
    upload_2021-8-5_11-54-58.png
    Robert Cray model:
    upload_2021-8-5_11-55-50.png

4. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I have a Bullet Special, which is a single-humbucker hardtail in the strat silhouette shape. Its bridge is a top loader, and what attracted me to that guitar is how lively, responsive and resonant it is. The bridge seems like a good simple design to me, and not a tone-sucker.

Ron C likes this.
  5. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Excellent, that's good to hear!

6. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

IMG_20151210_103631.jpg
    Not entirely sure it’s the same bridge, but also not sure how much variance there could be...zoom in and check it out. Looks the same to me.

7. Otisblove

Otisblove Tele-Meister

Doesn't really matter what the string is doing behind the point of contact on the saddle, does it?

8. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Thanks, that helps. It looks the same to me.

9. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Good question.

Behind the saddle and behind the nut, having just enough break angle is important. Try removing the string trees (on a guitar that needs them) for an example. Or raising the stop bar above the level of the bridge on a 335 or LP type guitar, you'll see what I mean.

When there's not enough downforce at the saddle, some wackiness can creep in, like buzzes or the strings not seeming very anchored (my words for it - there's probably a better luthiery term).

I bet I couldn't hear a difference in tone between "just enough" break angle and more than that. Not enough would be hard to miss, though.

10. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

UPDATE: I got an alert today from Adorama that they have both Player Strats and Player Tele's on sale for $519! They're offering only their "limited addition" version of blue at that price, but if you've ever wanted a Player at this kind of price, you should check it out!

Ron C and Charlodius like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.