GC Is Going Downhill

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by zimbo, May 29, 2017.

1. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's just the people that don't watch TV :lol:

Obsessed likes this.
  2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They never were negotiating.

All you needed was a new receipt for the same item, from another location, and they really had no authority not to sell it to you at the crazy low price.

I did negotiation for a living - what went on (for example in 2007) at GC was more like shooting fish in a barrel.

But yeah, they did need to liquidate a ton of stuff before the ownership change.

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Hey man; the Brookfield GC is sandwiched between HOOTERS and Serv-U-Drugs. There's also a Half Priced Books store in the strip mall where they sell great books, CD's, vinyl and DVD's.

HOOTERS, Guitar Center and Serv-U-Drugs. It's a party just waiting to happen.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  4. jenos

jenos Tele-Meister

The GC in Columbia, SC is on the smaller side but still is the best guitar buying experience in the area. Friendly staff and enough selection to satisfy the majority of shoppers. I've always found them to have the best listed prices and if someone else had a better one, they'd price match it. Last month I bought a Bugera V5 after noodling on it in the store to kill time, and I was able to negotiate 10% off.

joeybyron likes this.
  5. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Actually no. Different city.

6. mckeeiain

mckeeiain Tele-Meister

Was just about to say it's probably that location.

7. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

What is this Guitar Center of which you speak?

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the "GC sux" subform?

9. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

Mine is stocked, pyramids of amps, walls of guitars, and busy all times of the day. Well staffed, but you still usually have to wait for service just the same.

10. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

The Radio Shack Sucks websites used to be a lot more fun. Some of the stories of clerk stupidity and management incompetence were hilarious, shocking and totally believable for any frequent customers. But over the last 10-15 years it just got pathetic - like making fun of disabled children. These GC threads have never had that RS kind of pizzazz. Guess they're just not that bad of a retailer overall.

11. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

12. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

I went to the Grand Rapids, MI store to see about some Memorial Day deals. That store, too, seemed more picked over than usual. They didn't have the usual racks of Epiphones and Squiers, instead, they had a ton of cheap Mitchell guitars. I was hoping to maybe pick up one of their P-90 Epiphone Les Paul Specials, but they didn't have a single one in the store.

13. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

Stopped in the Mesa branch the other day and it was pretty much the same as I remembered it... average at best, but better than driving to Tempe for me.

a_pidgeon likes this.
  14. Rustbucket

"Did you see that hot double cutaway in orange? Wait, what store am I in again?"

a_pidgeon likes this.
  15. MRey

MRey Tele-Meister

I think Guitar Centers reflect what the local area can support. I have two within driving distance, one is never busy and what they stock reflects that, not too much high end stuff and PRS SE in the "platinum" room. The other is always busy with people buying stuff and their "platinum" room is stocked with Fender custom shop, Gibson, and Rickenbacker.

If your local store has crap for stock people in town aren't buying, there is absolutely no reason not to stock things if it will fly off the shelf.

For the record, I don't hate Guitar Center and don't buy the bs that they put mom and pops out of business. Customers put them out of business by trying to save a few bucks...not saying that's good or bad.

16. a_pidgeon

a_pidgeon Tele-Meister

I can't tell if they've massively downsized or just made room for the little lesson pods...or both. I spend a few minutes in there every few weeks or so just to see if anything good rolls through used.

Our first two years of college, my buddy and I would catch the bus down to Elliott and walk to the store. He'd have a blast playing nine guitars through five amps while I idly picked away at the same left-handed sunburst MIM Tele that had never seen a fresh set of strings. Junior year I moved to Mesa, got a car, and spent all that time at Milano Music instead.

When I bought my first real guitar, GC had an entire lefty section with its own signage and everything. Now it's just one sunburst (always sunburst) MIM Tele...

archetype likes this.
  17. Rustbucket

The sales guys down at Milano's were never real welcoming when I was young. I bought my first acoustic there at 18, and a banjo 6-8 months later, but they were still gave me a hard time if I asked to play anything. I wish Musician's Discount was still in business. That was the last great music store in the east valley IMO.

18. a_pidgeon

a_pidgeon Tele-Meister

I've only lived here about four years, so I never got to experience Musician's Discount. The folks at Milano always seem content enough to let me try out some stuff I seem to have a hard time finding anywhere else (like an Artcore or a Roland JC-40). I guess if nothing else they know the lefties are going back on the wall in tune.

19. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

My GC is stocked with lots of stuff to play with and sometimes is very busy and sometimes not. And actually the size of the amps has gone down but not the quantity. 20170415_145153.jpg

20. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Yeah, Beau is the guy I turn to when I want to actually find out something of substance. And I've gotten some great deals from them in the past also on used stuff. Every now and then they underprice something, like a used Classic Vibe Squier Jazz Bass for $129 I saw about a month ago! (Didn't buy it because I'm saving my money for an acoustic/electric for stage use, so I let someone else steal it.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.