Gavitt Cloth Wire Stranded Topcoat 22AWG

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by sds1, Oct 25, 2021.

1. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

chazo64 and King Fan like this.
  2. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Hmmm? “High quality USA made Gavitt. This wire features an outer waxed cotton braid over a celanese braid. The wire is stranded 22AWG with a tinned overcoat (topcoat) so no additional tinning with a soldering iron is required for use.”

I gotta wonder if the cloth+celanese won’t be just as hard to strip as vintage cloth, and the stranded pretinned feature doesn’t give me much that I don’t get with solid core vintage cloth — and likewise may not shape and lie down as nicely as solid core. And… Does it push back?

Sure, I could try it to test my suspicions, but at that price, why would I? Maybe big topcoat fans and solid-core haters who want the vintage look of cloth?

sds1 and chazo64 like this.
  3. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I recently bought about 30 feet of Gavitt push back in yellow, white, and black cause I ran out. I didn't pay near this $$$. Is there something special about this Gavitt wire I'm not aware of, because via the pics I see it looks exactly as what I bought...

4. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

If I am not mistaken it is push back wire. It is pre-tinned so it can be shaped like solid core but it is stranded so it doesn't break easily. The cloth will fray somewhat at the cut end if you are not careful but can be dabbed with clear to maintain a neat cut end. It solders well. It can be found at a lower price point (Art of Tone). I like it.

sds1 and King Fan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.