Gave Up Looking.

BuckNekkid

Tele-Holic
My quest for a short-scale Stratocaster has come up empty. So, I've given up.

That doesn't mean I'm not still interested in a short-scale Fender. I already have a Chinese made Modern Player Short Scale Telecaster, but I'm interested in an S-type. Right now, there are some pretty nice (and relatively inexpensive) Fender Mustangs on Reverb. These have a 24" scale, which is what I'm looking for.

Anyone got any feedback or recommendations? Here are some candidates.

jfzsoxcr0m9qxos0v8xf.jpg

iavhrqtvnybfyjuvjfvl.jpg

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My quest for a short-scale Stratocaster has come up empty. So, I've given up.

That doesn't mean I'm not still interested in a short-scale Fender. I already have a Chinese made Modern Player Short Scale Telecaster, but I'm interested in an S-type. Right now, there are some pretty nice (and relatively inexpensive) Fender Mustangs on Reverb. These have a 24" scale, which is what I'm looking for.

Anyone got any feedback or recommendations? Here are some candidates.

jfzsoxcr0m9qxos0v8xf.jpg

iavhrqtvnybfyjuvjfvl.jpg
If you want a Strat, why not get a Strat?.....then put a Warmoth "conversion" neck on it. They are 24 3/4" scale, (not 24") and fit perfectly on Fender-spec bodies. I have two (a Tele and a Tele-style partscaster) both with conversion necks, and I love them. If you're not comfortable changing necks yourself, I doubt a good repair person would charge much. Also, this way, you get whatever neck profile, construction, frets, etc. you want. ;)

Grandy

Tele-Holic
I've got a Squier Classic Vibe Duo Sonic and my impressions have been that it sounds like a mellow strat with a slinky feel to it.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I have one of the new MIM Duo Sonics and really like it. Only complaint is that the pickup selector switch sometimes cuts out when switching pickups and I have to toggle it back and forth to get it on. It's either a dirty pot or a bad switch. I've been too lazy to do anything about it, though. Otherwise, an incredibly well put together guitar with a unique sound.
IMG_1691.jpg
IMG_1692.jpg

John C

Friend of Leo's
Duo sonic, or the Lead series are both cool.

The Lead series are full scale 25.5" I believe.

Yes, the Lead series is the full 25.5" scale neck on a smaller body.

As for the Mustangs - Mustangs are cool little guitars; I had the American Performer version for a couple of years but wound up moving it because it was a bit plinky sounding compared to a Strat or Tele. I went with the Mustang/24" scale to rehab my left hand through some RSI issue; once I could once again comfortably play 24.75", 25" even some 25.5" scale guitars I grew less willing to live with the sound for the 24" playability.

I was kind of fishing for a trade - someone wanting to "trade up" from one of those hardtail MIM Player Mustangs (or the earlier MIM "Offset" series version) to a Mustang with the trem just so I could have a short-scale Fender hanging around, but I got a better than expected cash offer and did the deal. I felt I had too much tied up in the American Performer version to keep it around and only pull it out 2-3 times per year and would rather have the cash then keep a guitar I no longer really enjoyed playing, and didn't want to deal with the fussy Mustang tremolo that I never really used for a part-time guitar (and didn't feel like blocking the trem when I could sell the guitar to someone who wanted to use the tremolo).

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
My petite wife has the current Mustang and we both really like it, but just not quite a strat sound. She had a 90s Duo-Sonic, but those had an even shorter scale length of 22.5 or so as I recall. The newer Duo-Sonics have a longer scale length. We have a Mini Strat that is now in the hands of a third generation in our family, but I would caution you about it’s quality. Great for beginners, but not up to snuff for even an intermediate player.

Believer

Tele-Meister
Duo-Sonic for sure. I have them in Squire and Fender in both 24" and 22.5" versions. I think you would like the 24" scale. I like them better than Strats, but you might have to do a pickup swap to get the sound you're looking for.

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The Squier Paranormal Cyclone is pretty close to a 24.75” Strat.

For 24”, I’d say a Mustang would be cool. You can put any Strat pickups you want in there and you get the trem.

richey88

Friend of Leo's
I have one of the new MIM Duo Sonics and really like it. Only complaint is that the pickup selector switch sometimes cuts out when switching pickups and I have to toggle it back and forth to get it on. It's either a dirty pot or a bad switch. I've been too lazy to do anything about it, though. Otherwise, an incredibly well put together guitar with a unique sound.
View attachment 893307 View attachment 893308

Had the Classic Vibe model in Desert Sand, kick myself for getting rid of :0(

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
Put a Jag neck on a Strat.

Does that work?

This is my tiny experience. I just found a 2005 Squier Jagmaster on FB marketplace and I'm really happy with it so far. I wasn't sure I would like 24" scale but after putting 11s on it (which is what I do on all my guitars) I am really happy with it. Like, really happy. Feels good. Different but in a good way.

I'm not a fan of the bodies on Mustangs. Too small for me I sit when playing mostly and a guitar with a smaller body just doesn't work for me. I might be kind of picky. But my left wrist starts to have more aches from it typically being lower. Even if I try to angle it up more. And then it feels cramped in the strumming department. Hitting my right leg more frequently and just too close. If I was standing a lot it would likely be an entirely different thing.

I don't like how there's no arm relief on the body either.

And I really don't think Duo Sonics and Mustangs sound like a Strat. To me, typically they sound thinner and more trebly and to my ears it's not a good thing.

Now, having me dis the to the degree I just did, understand that I've never owned one. So I could be full of crap. I was only pointing those things out in case those might be issues that you have a look at when playing to see how they fit you. Those things are not a deal breaker for lots of people, so.... Just forget I said anything if it's not for you. I love how Mustangs and Duo sonics look.

I would suggest a Jaguar if you don't mind all the buttons. I don't like those (all the buttons). LOL. But that's why the Jagmaster is a good fit for me.

Attachments

• IMG_51521.jpg
    IMG_51521.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 13

Zepfan

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Does that work?

This is my tiny experience. I just found a 2005 Squier Jagmaster on FB marketplace and I'm really happy with it so far. I wasn't sure I would like 24" scale but after putting 11s on it (which is what I do on all my guitars) I am really happy with it. Like, really happy. Feels good. Different but in a good way.

I'm not a fan of the bodies on Mustangs. Too small for me I sit when playing mostly and a guitar with a smaller body just doesn't work for me. I might be kind of picky. But my left wrist starts to have more aches from it typically being lower. Even if I try to angle it up more. And then it feels cramped in the strumming department. Hitting my right leg more frequently and just too close. If I was standing a lot it would likely be an entirely different thing.

I don't like how there's no arm relief on the body either.

And I really don't think Duo Sonics and Mustangs sound like a Strat. To me, typically they sound thinner and more trebly and to my ears it's not a good thing.

Now, having me dis the to the degree I just did, understand that I've never owned one. So I could be full of crap. I was only pointing those things out in case those might be issues that you have a look at when playing to see how they fit you. Those things are not a deal breaker for lots of people, so.... Just forget I said anything if it's not for you. I love how Mustangs and Duo sonics look.

I would suggest a Jaguar if you don't mind all the buttons. I don't like those (all the buttons). LOL. But that's why the Jagmaster is a good fit for me.
It should work. If the nut to bridge measures up then your good to go. I put a 24 fret 25.5 scale neck on my regular Strat body, but had to trim off 1" of the heel to make it fit the body and keep the scale right, just let the fretboard flow over the top and it didn't interfere with the neck pickup. So If a little trimming is required, it's not a big deal.

alex1fly

Tele-Meister
You want an S style for what... the body shape alone? Mustangs, Jags, JMs and Teles all have two single coil pickups. It's not going to be terribly different. The advantage of the S style is to have that middle pickup.

Warmoth conversion neck on a Strat is one way to do it. Another way is to just capo the 1st fret - you now have a 24" scale guitar, as long as you can ignore the fret dots. I suppose you can also modify a Mustang/Jag/JM to have a middle pickup and the 5 way switch.

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
I like a strat body with 2 pups and maybe the op does too. I mean a strat does not feel the same as a tele does not feel the same as a Jag/Jazz does not feel the same as a duo sonic / mustang. The body itself makes a huge difference to me.

Strat bodies I like. Probably the best for an all around player. I would tweak even those bodies to get my ultimate feeling body. LOL. arm relief, no belly cut... and imho, hardtail them all. :)