1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gave my MIJ a makeover

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Roman4405, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Roman4405

Roman4405 Tele-Meister

My wife gave me a ‘96 MIJ Telecaster Custom Deluxe (I think that’s the model name) for my 40th birthday.
    AECCB27F-A32C-4491-9D0E-A53BED528B7A.jpeg
    It’s my favorite feeling guitar and I loved the bridge pickup but wasn’t a fan of the tone on the neck and kinda hated the gold hardware. So I swapped out the gold tuners, string tree, strap buttons, screws for chrome ones and added a three saddle brass bridge. Still waiting in the new control plate and wiring to come in but I’m now like 90% happier with the look and the difference in tone, especially in the neck pickup (which I also raised) in very noticeable. There seems to be some top end presence now that wasn’t there before which I assume is from the brass saddles. Anyway, here’s some after pics. I’m pretty happy. This is a guitar that I’m not going to be moving anytime soon so I wanted to make it exactly what I wanted. Kept all the gold stuff just because, but I don’t see me switching back.
    1249D049-5C80-4849-81A0-2F7601B37CA8.jpeg BB49652B-011F-43D3-AC6B-70C6566EBD1C.jpeg 2E04E8EB-A011-4ABC-8CF3-94CA9FD518C3.jpeg

richiek65 likes this.
  2. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Cool.

I think there’s a lot of truth in the notion we play guitars we like more. Or, we play more often the more we like them, etc.

So, I’m all for dressing up your love charger.*

Pax/
    Dean
    * to paraphrase the auto translation of a blurb for a replacement pick guard I once saw on Amazon Japan

Roman4405 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.