Gassing for Twin, talk me down

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Vespa_One, Apr 18, 2018.

Tags:

Get the Twin or stick with the Mustang?

1. Be practical, play the Mustang

2. **** it, get the Twin

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

I've been very pleased with my Fender Mustang 3 V2 but my dream amp has always been a SF Twin Reverb although I've never played one. I crave lots of clean headroom and legendary Fender cleans. I'm in a new band (Reggae) and looking to start gigging soon.

Amps are trending smaller these days and I'm not getting any younger or stronger. I can't play very loud at all at home. I don't have much space for it. Yet I still want one!? I need someone to talk me out of buying a Twin and to use my Mustang!

Is the Twin worth the expense,weight,maintenance or can I get by with the Mustang?

2. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

get your self a twin you know you want to:rolleyes:

3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I go back and forth from a Twin to a Cube, to a Vox modeller, etc. I always find I like which ever one I'm playing. If I play the modellers a while, I forget what the Twin sounds like, and convince myself they are close enough, or similar. Then, I pull the Twin out, and realize quickly "oh, now that's different. I forgot what that was like."

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Though I love, and proselytize the Mustang’s old competitor, the (wonderful) Roland Cube 80XL, I say get the Twin.
    They do one trick better than anything.
    Actually, they do a few tricks, if you count paint peeling volume, reverb and tremelo.
    A healthy Twin usually stays healthy if you don’t bang it around too much.
    They have been industry standards since their debut, for very good reason.
    Good luck!

5. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Don't get a Twin. If you get a twin you might enjoy playing it, and then you might not want to buy smaller, more expensive, lighter amps.

6. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I was going to say, go lift the Twin and carry it up a flight of stairs. If you still want it, get it!

Nothing sounds like a Twin, IMHO.

Ian T, Straydogger, Piggy Stu and 9 others like this.
  7. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

get the twin so you can cross it off the bucket list.

8. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

You can probably find a good used one on Reverb or Craigslist. Go for it.

Piggy Stu and Vespa_One like this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I still see SF Twins on CL here for between $500-$1000, all the time.
    They made zillions of them, and most are still around.
    Great testimony, IMO.

RoyBGood, JustABluesGuy and Vespa_One like this.
  10. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

I've had a '73 SF Twin Reverb for about 20 years. It has, bar none, the best clean tone of any amp I've ever played. That said, let me throw some words of caution out there -- especially since you've never played one.

It is not a practical amp. Full stop. To get that great Twin clean tone you have to open it up at least a little bit which is almost always way too loud. At more functional volume levels the tone of a SF Twin can be fairly pedestrian. You may very well find that at low volume your Mustang sounds better.

On the positive side, the maintenance on a SF Twin is never that expensive. It's probably one of easiest and cheapest vintage amps to maintain. Including the purchase price -- I've spent less than $1,000 on my SF Twin over 20 years.

11. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

Bruxist said everything I would have. I've owned two over the years, but don't currently. They're great, but let your back be your guide ;)

Chicago Matt, Bruxist and Vespa_One like this.
  12. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

Twins are dirt cheap right now. Still one of the best buys in the amp world. Get it, get it serviced, and rock out. Or Reggae out, as the case may be.

bftfender and Vespa_One like this.
  13. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

My first thought was “man, have you come to the wrong place to get talked OUT of getting a twin..!!”

Thinking a bit more, Brux got it right.

I have a certain amp need that my twin fills perfectly. That said re: age, some day it’ll be something SS that fills the same need, probably better, at likely less than 1/2 the weight.

THAT SAID, I AIN’T THERE YET..!

So — what have we learned?

Buy your dream amp.

kookaburra and Vespa_One like this.
  14. sirnoel

sirnoel Tele-Meister

Nice thing with a twin is it doubles nicely as a low, narrow table. I would suggest meeting your twin before you buy it. So you can carry it around the store and feel what you are getting yourself into, but also because the SF's vary in quality by a large margin and you really have to play it first to know if you've got "a good one."

15. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Mustang or Twin is easy: Part those Red Seas, dude! Twin wins.

Alternative: Bandmaster Reverb. Match it with speaker/speakers of your quirky preference--preferences, as you can match it with differently speaker-ed cabs.

Great, rich tones, which breathe big and golden at lower volumes than a Twin. Can break up and roar at lower volumes, too.

If you really want the Twin's might with cab/speaker choices, then Dual Showman Reverb. Easier to lug around head and cab in parts than together in an actual Twin unit, too.

JustABluesGuy and Vespa_One like this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

+1. Wait for a decent used one. If in the end you aren't using it much, you can resell it and only be out the few visits to the chiropractor.

17. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Do it. Buy used so if you end up selling for any reason, you don't lose a bunch of dough.

Piggy Stu and Vespa_One like this.
  18. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Sure, you can "get by" with the Mustang, but do you want to just "get by"? I had a Mustang III v2 for a while, loved it at home, lots of cool sounds and fun patches available, but at gigs, it was just meh, there was always something missing, it sometimes got lost in the mix, and just didn't have the girth and powerful sound of a Twin, some of that due to the 2x12 I'm sure.

I have a '72 SF Twin, got for $380.00 a couple of years ago. I run it at 50 watts, 2 tubes pulled. Love it, best beefy cleans and pedal platform ever. I cut the weight to mid 50's with some Emi Neo speakers. However, I only gig it when there's an easy load-in with no flights of stairs (or there's an elevator), if it's an outdoor gig, or an important gig where a tilted back Twin looks cooler. Otherwise, my Peavey Classic 30 gets most of the gigs, since it's much more portable, sounds great, and our amps are always mic'd up anyway. We don't put instruments in the monitors, so as long as I can hear myself onstage, using my amp as my monitor, the smaller 30 watt amp works fine. When I use the Twin, the casters and a fold up hand truck help a lot.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    2 Headed Goat and Vespa_One like this.
  19. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

If you can haul it,you can play it.

poirier and Vespa_One like this.
  20. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Can you afford the crew for moving it?

Vespa_One likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.