1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gassing for a Strat HSS

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jbnaxx, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I have to confess.... I love Teles but the Strat is my favorite.

I am gassing for a Strat in the HSS configuration. I don't want to spend a lot. I not having much luck finding a used one, so I was thinking about the Squier CV 70s model. I think the MIM Fenders and CV Squiers are pretty close in quality.

51C02219-B656-41C4-B0D3-E191C7EAA32C_4_5005_c.jpeg

I think this thing is really tasty....

I have an American Standard Strat that is my absolute number one....it is perfect in every way. I don't expect the Squier to measure up to that level, but I love a great bargain.... and I have some perfectly playable Squiers. Anybody have any experience with the CV 70 Series?

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

CV Squiers are generally well regarded. They're built well and the parts are good quality. As always, you can change/upgrade parts if you feel the need to do so.

Another option, if you don't mind working on guitars, is to find a used Squier and mod it to your wishes. I recommend the SE, Standard, CV and VM lines if you want to try this. The Affinity line is slightly different and some aftermarket parts won't fit. Most Squier Strats come from the factory routed for HSH.

Here's a Squier Standard Strat I fixed/modified. I bought it used for $27 since it was very damaged when I purchased it.

20200807_123744.jpg

3. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I purchased this Schecter Banshee 6 Extreme FR on sale a month or so ago (edit: Oct20)--new—$349. It is a super nice guitar.

70D8303D-CE00-4344-8CDF-4A3763E8BAEC.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  4. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

That looks great. I don't mind working on them, but you can get $400 tied up in one quickly..... if you start at $25, you certainly have room to wiggle around.

I had a Squier Standard with a full set of Dimarzio Area pickups in it and gave it to my grand daughter. She loves it..... come to think of it, maybe I should ask her..... she seems to wind up with a lot of my gear. She's worth it.

I don't seem to be lucky enough to run across deals like that Schecter....... that's a nice find.

stormsedge likes this.
  5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Just keep your eye out...that one was a MF SDoD for about an hour before the stock was exhausted. I picked up two other Schecters the same way, one at MF and the other GC. I usually check them both right when I log on the internet and right before I log off...you never know when a short lived sale item may pop.

6. bgmacaw

It actually worked out rather cheap because I had all the electronics on hand. All I needed to buy was the pickguard and bridge assembly, maybe about $60 total.

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  7. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

The Squier Standard line was pretty solid. The CV line must have replaced it. A friend had a CV Tele that was pretty solid.

Maybe someone could give thoughts on the CV 70s HSS.....

8. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I recently built a Warmoth HSS strat - LOVING it. It's got all my playing time for the last year. The ability to go from sweet single coils tone to a nasty Zep type humbucker tone is a game changer for me.

I'll probably make another HSS as a backup later in the year, and move on a few of my other guitars.

SRHmusic likes this.
  9. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

One of my favorite strat sounds is position 2, bridge-middle. How is the humbucker in that position?

10. bgmacaw

It depends on the pickups and how they're wired up.

On my Carvin Bolt kit, that I modded for HSH with special switching system, I can get that sound. The pickups in there right now are a SD StagMag and a Artec JB Jr clone. I originally had a SD QuarterPound in the middle and that worked better so I'll probably swap another in at some point.

20200620_125808.jpg

SRHmusic likes this.
  11. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

Probably worth asking yourself whether you see yourself changing the pickups in the near future anyway. If i remember correctly, the CV Strat's are routed for a humbucker in the bridge anyway. So in theory, you could get any SSS you want (with a whole lot more options/availability) find a good humbucker for $50 on Reverb, and a $10 pickguard and you'd have a really solid guitar and a little bit of a project.

12. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

In my experience the newer Player Series from Mexico are a step better than the Standard series they replaced which were a (slight) step better than the best CVs Squier ever managed.

I'm with you though, my number one switches back and forth between the Tele and a Strat.

jvin248 and mkdaws32 like this.
  13. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Holic

Last week I put a 9k dimarzio Chopper in my bridge.nice rock pickup not to hot.i pulled him out cause I don't like hum's but I had to try it.make sure you wind it in phase or else the b/m position its bliahhh

14. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I would tend to agree with all of this^^^. With the caveat that it is splitting hairs, to a degree. Bottom line is they are all well built and pretty darn consistent these days. The one that is a step up for most people might not be for you. Pick the one that has most of the features you are looking for and mod from there.

15. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

FWIW I have played a strat fully loaded with Hot Rails and the 2 and 4 sounds were far closer to the quacky one expects from a strat than I anticipated. Experience with a JB jr in a bridge in an otherwise stock guitar was similar. My takeaway was that this particular sound is driven a lot more by the relative positioning than the sonic character of the pickup than people think.

16. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I’m a big fan of HSS Strats!
    I even like sc spaced hbs in there.

17. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I used to have a Hot Rail installed as the bridge pickup on my Strat and loved the 2nd position tone -- it was my go to setting for just about everything. I've since replaced my hot rail with a single coil as I prefer that sound, and the 2nd position is a bit quackier than it was with the hot rail. That said, if you really want a HB bridge tone, the tone at the 2nd position shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Blues Twanger likes this.
  18. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I never really liked the bridge pickups in most of the Strats until I got my American Standard. I don't know which pickups are in there, but they sound great to me.

The humbucker in the CV 70 is advertised to be a Fender designed extended range....I have heard some of the Fender extended range humbuckers in other guitars and they sound really good to me.......unusually Fenderish for a humbucker. That's a big reason this Squier has my attention. I would hope there would be no pickup changes needed.

I have a proper Strat, so if it's a little different, all the better.... as long as it sounds good and it's a solid instrument.

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

If you have a S/S/S Strat, a series/parallel mod for the combo positions is very good to have.

20. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

Personally, before I mounted a humbucker I'd do Zepfan's series/parallel mod. Two single coils in series sounds very humbucker-ish.

If I was determined to get a humbucker, I would take a SSS Strat I liked and then and then put a GFS Lil Puncher in the bridge. I might go with a Red Lace Sensor; lately I've been really loving my Ibanez loaded with Lace Sensors.

I personally don't like HSS Strats. It's a personal problem dating from the late 80s/early 90s when 3/4s of the Strat-style guitars out there were HSS.

RobRiggs and Zepfan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.